Dev Discussion Episode 38: Patchwork Themyscira (open world)

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by JackFrost, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NibellaRin Active Player

I love this dlc. It's gorgeous and fun. I am finding only some issues. Regarding the Apokoliptian area, there seems to be a glitch where the barrels or urns are supposed to appear for us to take or transfer. They aren't spawning regularly either during big boss fights or between it seems. But LOVE this design, love being able to traverse Themyscira. Very fun space and the bounty fights and all the different count feats are refreshing. I was down to only exo hunting and R&D creation for solo feats so this is great to have again.
  2. JackFrost Developer

Hey all! We've been playing a lot, reading a lot of forum feedback, and are preparing further changes and fixes to improve the player experience. I'll reply again to this thread later today or tomorrow morning outlining some of the changes you should expect to see in the near future. Thanks again for playing, and for helping us improve things with your feedback.
    • Like x 4
  3. Nezquick Level 30

I’m sure I speak for a lot of us when I say this....but thank you guys so much for the open ended conversations we’ve all had over this episode. This is honestly the best work you guys have done in a hot minute despite’s the lag & issues. The fact that you’re all approaching this with open everything is very different & appreciated in itself. This is a good direction for DC, in my opinion
    • Like x 2
  4. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Awesome, thanks to all of you. :)

My major issue is the lack of quick and easy bounties, like Cal Bot, Meta, Giant Robot, Gizmo, Starro, etc.

The new change helps, but you can still fail back to back and not be rewarded the main currency even after hours of trying unless you find a really good group or really good phase, which doesn't happen often from my experience so far.

With the previous bounty method I could run through all 20 of my characters in about 2-3 hours on reset day, as is I have only completed the 1st bounty on 3 characters and the 2nd bounty once on my main. And I have been playing 2-5 hours a day since launch and I honestly don't think I will get even halfway done with my characters by this coming reset day.

I do like the new method a lot actually though, and I hope it is a standard going forward. But I also think those previous bounties need to be available as well, especially on something like 2x or 3x marks events. You can spam those previous bounties 20-30 times in like an hour, with this new method that option is not close to as viable as the previous one.

I way to fix that and not really have to worry too much about adding something new is by making it so that the main marks are granted upon simply fighting one of the bounties and doing enough in that fight to earn any amount of the 2nd currency.

The hydra bounty is still an issue though, as it is tied to the 1st bounty. Them being tied together makes it really difficult to even unlock the Hydra and when you finally do unlock it, you have to defeat it in order to receive the main currency.. I have failed on the Hydra way more times that I have succeeded on it, with very large groups helping fight it.

This new method, while I like it, it also makes earning the Hydra's 8 main marks far more time consuming than anything in the past and I do think it needs to be addressed.

I think the same thing could be applied to Hydra, simply doing enough in the fight to earn the 2nd currency will grant you the primary currency. I think that will help out a lot, but the fact is it is still very time consuming to even unlock the Hydra in the first place.

I honestly tried for like 15 minutes to think of something to help here but all I came up with is allowing it to always be there, and maybe you get 1 additional 2nd currency per boss if you do them in order vs just going right to the Hydra.

I don't know, I hope this helps in anyway. Thanks again for all the effort you guys and girls put in over there, take care. :)
    • Like x 1
  5. Nezquick Level 30

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it always the case where we couldn’t group up if a member of the group was in a full phase??? Like personally I think capped phases aren’t a problem...if bosses were scaled correctly so that a full group or 2 or 3 could get a fair fight out of it. I just don’t think the bosses are scaling how you want them to scale.
    • Like x 2
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Hi Jack,

Was wondering if you could take a look at Murk specifically. When playing around a bit in tank role tonight I got bottom tier reward (3 marks + 2 extras) on Murk twice and on the other bosses I always got maximum reward without doing anything significantly different. Those times I got minimal credit on Murk I even dropped an orbital.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the copious adds that spawn with Murk I would occasionally move them away from Murk, but was also doing significant damage to those adds, perhaps the adds weren't counting as participation?
  7. Control Creed Well-Known Player

Phases are empty or full... gave it a shot, not working for me. I am now certain spamming for the secondary currency is not fun.
    • Like x 1
  8. JackFrost Developer

Hey! We've got a long list of changes that are forthcoming, which will be out in the next hotfix. I apologize for not following up sooner. The goal of these changes generally is to make it so players don't feel like they need to hop around to different phases to find "a good one," with regards to the World Bosses. I'll be talking about the changes in our Twitch Livestream today, if you are able to check in. We'll have more details and specifics on what changes are being patched out with the patch notes, and I may post them here when we have the patch out. Thanks again for the feedback everyone!
    • Like x 1
  9. Control Creed Well-Known Player

I hope it's adding a "Phase List" to the menu and a Hard Cap with the number of people in that phase. These aren't the only bounties that suffer from this issue and as a DLC ages it gets unplayable, huge quality of life update if at some point we can add that.

Thanks for whatever the change is though, looking forward to it.
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Looking forward to it! This is a report on my experiences yesterday, for what little that might be worth:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/devs-i-am-concerned.310705/#post-4337451
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I’m still not seeing any cannons...
  12. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

me either...but my reason is cause the game is down for 25 more mins or so..lol!:p Had to go pvp phase to do that feat. Goes super fast and yes i understand we shouldnt have to go to pvp to do it. But i also shouldnt have to turn my camera a certain way to play the new alert....we just gotta eat what they give us...
  13. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I’m not in any hurry, it’s just that the hotfix notes said it’s been sorted so I thought they’d want to know it hasn’t happened.
    • Like x 1
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The bosses seem tuned much better, a standard size phase (I.E one with little or no visual disturbances caused by activity) now has a good shot at beating them.
  15. JackFrost Developer

Hey! I jumped on live and verified what you're saying. There's still an issue where the cannons don't consistently respawn. The fix for that was insufficient. Sorry everyone. I will get it resolved ASAP, but a fix will likely not be on Live until early next week. Again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I know there is a feat that folks want to get.
    • Like x 1
  16. Control Creed Well-Known Player

Still, the empty / full phase issue is killing this DLC for me.

Can we look into adding a "Phase" menu item where the 5- 10 most populous phases are listed, (even better if the full ones are removed) because finding a phase with even 8 people (unless you are a healer) is a serious pain.

Spending more time in LFG than playing at the moment.
  17. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It’s no problem, like I said, I just thought you’d want a heads up.
  18. JackFrost Developer

A for-real fix for this may be coming sooner rather than later (but not today unfortunately).
  19. JackFrost Developer

We're investigating what we can do to help with this. The thing is, some changes that we're exploring might require a 'client' change, which has to go through approvals with some of the platforms our game runs on, and that makes these kinds of changes take longer to get out to the Live game. Hopefully we can figure something out in the relative near-term though.
    • Like x 2
  20. JackFrost Developer

Hey! I don't know that the patch that went out yesterday will change the situation much for the Murk fight. A lot of the recent changes were to try and make sure that players who participated at least got the lower-tier credit. But if this continues to be an issue here or in the other fights, please don't hesitate to chime in.

By trying to make the fights a bit easier, they may go a bit quicker, likely reducing the time players have to earn contribution from the ancillary activities around the boss fight, so we may need to tune the 'success' back-end contribution values a bit more to compensate. We'll be studying our data on this as well.

Note that we are still investigating granting contribution for playing in your roles. That is one of my goals for this type of content, but isn't immediately imminent.

Thanks for the feedback! And sorry you're not getting the reward you likely should be earning consistently. We do want it to be fairly consistent between the different fights.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.