Too Many Artifacts, Not Enough Slots

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sammy, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Sammy Well-Known Player

We need more Artifact Slots.

I don't understand why you keep making new artifacts and what we are supposed to do with old ones. I have many 160s and 200s artifacts that just sit in my inventory and I don't know what to do with them anymore.
    • Like x 1
  2. Brit Loyal Player

I do not want a 4th Artifact slot. I do not want to see the game shift to requiring 4 (or more) Artifacts in order to be competitive. Already they take too long to level.

I do agree though that we have too many new artifacts coming out, and that storage of these artifacts has become excessively annoying. We don't want to destroy them because that means re-starting the leveling if we ever want to use them again. But storing them has become increasingly cumbersome as they require more and more of our inventory space.

The change that needs to be made is that Artifacts need to be treated like Augments. When you unlock one, it goes onto the Artifacts tab, instead of as a literal piece of gear in the inventory. Players could freely swap between their artifacts the same way that they can with Augments. Players could have every Artifact unlocked on a character, and hold them at different points of progression, leveling up multiples so that they can experiment with different builds.
    • Like x 9
  3. Batrederik Dedicated Player

Is it really that important??

Nevertheless, you could just delete them. Or, or there are a few optimizers that are made by YouTubers. Each weights artifacts a little differently so try them out, or read them through and see which one you like best.
    • Like x 1
  4. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

That sounds like a great idea. Give them their own tab. That would solve the inventory problem.
    • Like x 1
  5. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

I think i understand why they can't do more slots. Its because the platforms like switch Xbox and ps4 will run into performance issues. I mean my frame drops hella hard on my ps4 even harder now with artifacts. Adding a 4th slot might just set my ps4 on fire who knows. Maybe they have away around this when next gen drops. But u won't be able to use more slots if ur not using a next gen console. i can definitely see this happening
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Nothing personal and I like the artifact set up overall but please NO. Hey look you have a character and let us say you actually use both roles. That means as things stand right now you need to get at least 6 artifacts to level 200 and that can take forever without running to the market and just buying Nth metal. Last thing we need is to add 1 or 2 more artifacts to get up there.

Plus as pointed out this could be a nightmare for the Dev team to try and accomplish. Hey between my artifacts and maxed out augments I am awesome .. I'm happy as is.
  7. Cordelia Well-Known Player

I'd actually prefer to go back down to two artifacts. But I'm guessing I'm in the minority. Four is just way too many.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

UI concerns might be a reason, but I tend to think it's more about maintaining the combat balance they want in the game. Right now content is balanced around having up to three artifacts on a character, so being able to add another into the mix would likely throw off what they are aiming for.
    • Like x 3
  9. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Nah, there's just no way. Game would be really unbalanced and even more P2W, it's already almost impossible to keep up with the current artifact pace if you don't pay a lot, imagine if there were 4 slots. The problem with artifacts is that they release new ones way too fast, there are 3 ones every 4 months and sometimes we get artifacts in TCs as well, they should slow down the pace or we are going to use half our inventory slots with artifacts in a year.
  10. Chia Death Well-Known Player

If you don't use the artifacts anymore just feed them into the new ones you're using to level them up. If you won't be using them anymore then it's better than just having them take up space.
  11. Sammy Well-Known Player

I feel that with artifacts that I have wasted time and money building one, only for people to go "You need to be using this brand new one instead."

and then I wonder what do I do with the old ones. I still like them. I crafted them, and I Can't use them anymore. That's not fair. They must have some use.
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Umm, pardon my blunt comments here, but you don't have to follow the meta if you don't want to.

If a new artifact comes out and it's one you want to use or add to your loadout, then by all means do so. But there's nothing written in stone that says you have to use an artifact if it's not one you are interested in or it doesn't fit with how you play.

It's your account and your character(s). Play them how you want to play them, not how someone else thinks you should play them.
    • Like x 4
  13. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me elaborate with an analogy.

I have 30 Abilities in my Powerset, but i only have 6 Loadout slots.

Just because there are "X" amount of Artifacts doesnt mean you need "X" amount of slots.

Just 1 Artifact would do the same trick, but they went with 2 and then 3 to add more depth to this system. Adding a fourth slot adds so much depth to the system that its too complex for new players to understand what is needed.

Also, thinking about new players, imagine getting into the game realizing that you need to grind for 6,5 Million XP to be top tier. (keep in mind that most people start the game free to play and dont have the initial intent to drop half of their salary into a game like this.)
    • Like x 5
  14. Brit Loyal Player

Now imagine for a moment that you have 30 potential Abilities in your powerset, but each one of those powers are eating up a spot in your inventory and have to be slotted into your loadout bar. And all the abilities that you aren't using either must stay in your inventory taking up space, or must be destroyed so that they can never been used again in the future.

That's not something you have to deal with, because there is a Powers tab, and so the powers that you don't use will always be preserved, that way you can swap to them again in the future.

Augments are the same way. They are all held on the Augments tag, so you can swap them up whenever you like.

But Artifacts require a ton of inventory space to hold them all. And if you destroy the ones you are not using, you must start re-leveling them if you ever wish to use them again in the future.

There are too many Artifacts for them to be managed in the cumbersome fashion they are right now. They need migrated to an Artifacts tab where we can store them all, instead of losing an ever-increasing amount of inventory.
    • Like x 2
  15. Schimaera Devoted Player

What would be filling that space if the artifacts weren't there? And would it be tradable? Because then you could just create another toon to store stuff. I agree that a system that would just stash the artifacts like Augments would be better but don't you think you're somewhat dramatic?
    If you have artifacts at rank 0 that you never used before, just delete them if the freed space is that important to you. Re-buying them would cost you only 25 source marks and let's be honest - the time where you really need that Starheart, that Gem of Horus, these Rings of Azar, Omegahedron and so on ... these times will probably not come very soon. Also, since artifacts aren't really good at all before lvl 120/160, you might as well stop leveling them just because you can. Leaves more Rank 0 artifacts you can get rid of.
    • Like x 2
  16. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Just had a thought - what about Artifact crafting? Take two leveled artifacts and forge them together into one with some loss of stats but now the abilities of both. Kind of cheat on the 4th slot, but giving access to some other artifacts. Could design the system so that you can only forge like with like (troll type to troll type) to help cut down on possible combinations.

We could have the Rings of Rao! The Philosopher’s Scepter! The Godmorium!
    • Like x 1
  17. FoolsFire Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I completely agree with you on this, however they sell inventory slots and its part of a strategy to fill up your inventory on purpose. This is for example the only reason 13+ different Nth Metal items exist (10, 20, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 3000, 12500, 75000, 1000 account bound etc.). So i doubt it will ever change in terms of an Artifact store slot, but its a decent QoL improvement.
  19. Solarbound Committed Player

No, we don't need a 4th artifact slot. We're completely fine with just three. Are you trying to kill players pockets even more? Stop this foolery. Seriously, stop -_-
    • Like x 2
  20. Brit Loyal Player

Well, I maxed out my purchase of inventory and I still end up full way more often than I care for.

I have to carry two rows worth of extra junk that constitutes my off-role stuff, because locking it to an Armory doesn't eliminate the need for it to occupy physical inventory space somewhere.
    Then two more rows of stuff to cover my PvP gear, because again, an Armory doesn't eliminate the need for it to occupy inventory space.
    Then there is the random stuff that is perpetually always in the inventory. A partial stack of Exos, and several partial stacks of Nth Metal, since they drop in all these different flavors. And of course, there's a stack of whatever the current Time Capsule is, or in the case of right now, probably 10 rows worth of Ressurgence Capsules, because I don't go to the vendor every 10 minutes to clear them out, and on PC the click-drag-delete is way more annoying than the X-to-delete of console.
    Then my inventory gets cluttered with collection pieces from seasonals that drop at absurd rates. It gets bogged down with Base Items that I'm either going to sell when I get to a broker, or that I want to use on an alt instead of click away immediately.

There is so much random clutter eating up inventory space.

And then I have my Eye of Gemini, Scrap of Soul Cloak, Transformation Card, and Strategist Card all at 120+ but not in active use (I play with Orb, Fang, and Page most days). Then I've got Might DPS artifacts and Prec DPS artifacts that are at low values but actually have had a decent chunk of Nth Metal dumped in, stuff I worked on when my Healing suit was 160 and 160 was the cap. And then I've got the stragglers that are just at 20 for their respective feats, and while I haven't dinked with them yet, I also don't feel like I should have to destroy a level 20 Artifact just to save inventory, when regular patches are constantly nerfing and buffing these things and I don't know what might happen to it in the future. Who knows; six months from now, my level 80 Starheart might get buffed to be best-in-slot Healer Artifact.

Is it an absurd amount of space? No. But it adds up, and unlike my alt-armory gear, with every new expansion, the list of Artifacts continues to grow. Three expansions or so every year, with 4 new Artifacts per Episode, that's 12 new Artifacts per year. Basically 1.5 rows of inventory lost every year. And for players who engage in Power Changes and are potentially building for more than just 2 roles, it's not unreasonable to think that they might have handfuls that of partially advanced Artifacts at intermediate states that they don't simply want to destroy because they're not in use this moment.
    • Like x 1