Test Discussion Episode 38: Patchwork Themyscira (open world)

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by JackFrost, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eve YouTuber

Not everything need to be super hard and super challenging. I'm sure they will make it enough of a challenge without turning it into elite fights.
    • Like x 1
  2. JackFrost Developer

Hey again everyone! A number of additional tuning changes made it to the PCTest server last evening. The goal of most of the changes is to better have the challenge scale with the number of players. I'll continue to monitor, and we'll be doing another play-with-the-Devs of this content on Monday (7/20/20) evening. Feel free to chime in with any feedback before then. Thanks again for helping to test out the new content!
    • Like x 4
  3. TheSapphire Well-Known Player

Are the Colossal Defenders and Colossal Archers supposed to despawn after the Athena fight? I could not make it to the solo entrance spot without drawing aggro from those npc's and had to wait until the Kalibak/Steppenwolf fight was over before I could make it in. No one was fighting the world bosses during that time as far as I know.
  4. JackFrost Developer

Yeah, all of those that spawn as part of the World Boss fight should despawn as it ends (though it's possible one or two that weren't going for the crates were still spawned from before Hera spawned). Then a while after the World Boss fight ends, win or lose, other encounters should start repopulating the area, including some giant statues (the ones that break into smaller boulders the can spawn additional enemies). Were there still Colossal enemies trying to go for the crates after Hera despawned and Kalibak/Steppenwolf were spawned? Thanks!
  5. TheSapphire Well-Known Player

I tried again this morning and the Colossal Defenders did despawn when the fight ended. Hopefully it was only a fluke yesterday, but I will keep checking and let you know if they aren't leaving.

And yes, when it happened yesterday the Colossal Defenders were going for the crates during the Kalibak/Steppenwolf fight.

Thanks Jack!
  6. TheSapphire Well-Known Player

Ok, it IS still happening. I don't know if this image shows it well enough, but the current world boss fight is in another area and the Colossals continue to move crates around. See the mini map for where the arrow points and no blue-ish shading in my area.

[IMG]
  7. TheSapphire Well-Known Player

I may have figured it out. I was fighting the Colossal Defenders and clicking the crates as much as I could but did not drop the barrier to release Athena. I did not receive credit for participation and the Colossals did not despawn when the event ended. They kept on moving crates until the Apokolyptian fight ended before despawning.

The next time around I left the Colossals alone and assisted the sorcerers with dropping the barrier and releasing Athena. After she kicked my butt a few times, I did receive participation credit and the Colossals despawned before the next boss fight.
  8. JackFrost Developer

Thanks! With this additional information, I think I understand what's happening and will try to get a fix in as soon as I can.
    • Like x 1
  9. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I was doing the raid like world bosses on test on Friday when Mepps and some of the devs were on and spawning the bosses for footage. I was DPSing for most of them but near the end our healer had to leave so I switched to heal, fully specced, and after every boss I only got three Empyrean Aethers (sp?). I was healing my teammates and attacking the boss, there was nothing more I could have done to participate more heavily in the fight (aside from the side objectives but I was, y'know, healing so it's not ideal for me to run off and turn cogs instead of healing my allies). Is the participation for healers properly tuned? If this becomes an issue on live I can see people not wanting to heal if they know they're probably only going to receive three marks instead of six. When I was DPSing I got the full amount of marks every time, but as a healer it was always only three.
  10. JackFrost Developer

Real talk here, we do want to grant contribution for Healing, Controlling/Power-Healing, Tanking, and rallying other players, but we weren't able to get those features in for this first iteration of this new system. Some of these are very tricky things to track and grant contribution based on.

So, what we did try to do is create additional activities ancillary to dealing damage to the boss that would count towards contribution, and we worked on a better back-end tracking of how contribution is granted by the World Bosses. For example, prior to the efforts here, we had no way of granting contribution and rewards for players who did damage to a boss but didn't defeat that boss.

For now, my recommendation would be that if you want to play in a non-DPS role (Healer, Controller, Tank) while fighting the World Bosses, you probably will want to be in a group with one or more folks dealing damage to the boss or other enemies involved in the World Boss fight. Additionally, or alternatively, I would recommend doing some of the ancillary activities, such as transporting Water Barrels, defeating the solo or group-level-mobs trying to steal the Source Fragment crates or who are part of the invasion army, teleporting the crates they're trying to steal back to the Amazon depots, disabling Apokoliptian Cannons, and destroying Turrets on the Atlantean Boats that are in proximity of the World Boss events.

If World Bosses prove a fun and successful feature, we may get a chance to further expand how we grant contribution.

Thanks for your inquiry and feedback, and I apologize if this isn't the news you were hoping to hear.
    • Like x 5
  11. Jafin 10000 Post Club

That's perfectly fine, thanks for the info! I did do a (very) quick scan of the previous pages before making my post and didn't see it brought up, but if it was there and I just didn't see it then I apologise.

I much rather having this information so that I know if I'm healing I can't rely solely on that + damage and will need to do some of the ancillary objectives in order to get full contribution rewards. Thanks again for the info, JackFrost!

One more question - you mention that I should be in a group with one or more people doing damage. Does that mean that, for example, if I'm a healer and I'm in a group with 7 DPSes all their damage will contribute along with my contribution and I could get full rewards just from healing and doing damage, provided that the group as a whole does enough damage to get full contribution rewards? I'm just asking because it reads to me that the contribution is group based if you're in a group rather than individual based, but my reading of that may be incorrect.
  12. StealthBlue Loyal Player

There's a feat for the open world that says to help launch invisible jets to aid in each of the world boss fights. I haven't looked all over the map yet to see if there are other launch points, but the one I did find appeared to be in the Olympian area. I was definitely fighting Olympians for that, but the check on the feat went towards helping against the Atlantean Invasion. Are there multiple invisible jet launch points? Do you always fight Olympians, but get credit for whichever world boss is next (or last, or currently happening)?

Also, some ads appeared to be too close to the teleporter in the Ares fight area. It seemed like standing on the teleporter caused them to start attacking me, and you can't use the teleporter while being attacked. So I had to ko them before I could use it. Could you change it so that you can use the teleporter while being attacked? Or do you just need to decrease the agro radius of the ads near the teleporters?
  13. Eve YouTuber

so regards the bosses today:
    - Murk was perfect!!!
    - Ares is way too easy, a little health buff should help
    - Athena is fine
    - Kalibak \ Steppenwolf are fine
    - Hydra at first try was going cray cray at us, so I assumed he was highly buffed, but second time he was easily taken down so not sure what happened there.

Overall regards most bosses I felt about the same.
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

I played today as well:

• I actually felt murk was tuned too high and seemed to actually be the most difficult boss of all four at least in my opinion
    • Ares was about right depending on the group there
    • Athena was way too easy on every occurence or certainly so in comparison to the others.
    • Kalibak and Steppenwolf were fine
    • Hydra is pretty difficult if your group doesn't have heals and or tanks and lets all the adds come out, but suspect with proper roles is probably fine.
    • Like x 2
  15. SilkyPawz Bunny

Hi Devs, had fun with the Play Test , Thank you.

Few Things that I noticed:

Murk a tiny bit over buffed.
    Hydra fight way way too many adds to focus fight on Hydra.
    Lastly the Timer, soon as the open area turns purple for the World Bosses the Timer starts but, the bosses haven't even spawned yet, can that please be looked at, by the time the bosses spawned the timer was either 3:40 or 3:30, the timer should start when the bosses spawn correct?

Thank you
    • Like x 3
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Agreed, if we're supposed to have 5 minutes then the timer should start when the bosses appear not when the area goes purple.
    • Like x 3
  17. Eve YouTuber

By the way, when I teleport from patchwork Themyscira to my base I hear the battle music from the open world (I think It's Athena's)
    in my base and I see the "X Army prepares an attack" on my screen when in my base.
  18. Swifty Mugiwara Active Player

Agreed and i also have some concerns. I was on test during the Devs play test and from the 1st to the 2nd one was a too much of a buff as well as too many adds on certain fights. It looked like we had enough people to get Murk done but we ran out of time with more than at least 20 ish people doing the boss. I know what you guys are going for with these open world raid like bosses but dcuo just doesn't have the player base to make farming these bosses possible after a couple months after release. I feel it'll be impossible to even get a set of these done on my main and not to even mention my alts. And with the level of grind required to get everything from the vendors with out having to wait for a dbl or triple mark weekend event seems over whelming.

I do appreciate the effort in trying new things and trying to innovate the game for players but this feels more of a grind with less content. Two raids one alert and either duo or solo felt like the sweet spot for content. Running in circles and killing bosses seems like it'll get stale quicker than running instanced content.
    • Like x 5
  19. JackFrost Developer

Yes, for the World Bosses, if you were a healer in that situation with a group of DPS folks who did enough damage, you should also get credit.
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Oh that's perfect then. I think when I was getting only half the rewards in the playtest my group at the time consisted of me (healer), 2 tanks and 1 DPS, so that would explain why we didn't do enough to get the full rewards. Thanks JackFrost!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.