My first experience with three toxic Alert "teammates", I still cannot process it

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aquagirl, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Magnificent Loyal Player

1. Some of this is your fault. Apparently they had been trying to converse with you in chat but you were so focused on pew-pew-lewt that you just charged ahead.
    1a. In PUGs it's generally a good idea to wait and see if they are actually active before charging in, especially if one of them is in healer role (ie: killing your non-role healing bonus). It's annoying when people queue in then just stand around but it happens.
    1b. Having chat up at the beginning of a PUG is also a good way to see if anyone is wanting to go after a Feat (remember your quote about being a team? that's hard to do if members aren't communicating).

2. Welcome to the wonderful world of "trash talk" (yes, name-calling like that is a direct descendant of such, it all boils down to ego-stroking through lack of respect for others), it's not just prevalent here and other games but it's a part of most competitive venues both online and IRL. Your only real options here are learn to ignore it or spend much of your ingame time reporting people.

3. Venting, over-dramatic or otherwise, is sometimes needed. The most important thing to take remember though is words have only the power over us that we give them. Sure, they shouldn't have been such Richard Craniums but you let them win by allowing their words to throw you into such a fit.
    • Like x 1
  2. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

Aquagirl, as not everyone in a raid uses 'Group' chat, you might make a chat window for Raids / Alerts and in your Chat settings enable Say, Group, Shout and League channels so if anyone is talking in those channels you can see it. I put League in there in case you are in an alert / raid with two or three league mates (assuming you join a league) and they are chatting in League vice the other channels. It happens. I would also enable Tells in that window as well.

I think you will find your experience is the exception, but I understand it doesn't make you feel any better when it happens. Jerks are a universal constant.
    • Like x 3
  3. Samantha Christiano Active Player

People are toxic over wanting top damage.
    People are toxic in pvp. I call them fakes.

They use atomic in area and broken op legends in legends.
    Just to get easy wins. As it's called "pub stompers" and want to look good and act pro and brag of being the best.
    They will insult ppl that does beat them. Oh you spam this. You using a broken op character.
    It's funny because they themselves use anything to cheese wins. But complains when others use it.

Dps dies. They blame healers. They don't pay attention to boss mechanics
    Block on skull. And block on other damage wipes.
    If dps players can't use shields rotations. Game is over 9 years and still can't learn mechanics.
    Personal dampening field, absorption adaptor, power's shield
    • Like x 2
  4. High Troller Loyal Player

You will find countless methods of players claiming "this is how you report people". They will tell you about screenshots, videos, and all this other garbage. Guess what? Most of it doesn't mean much. Screenshots can be doctored. Voice chats can be manipulated. Cell phone videos are just as questionable. Mepps confirmed this himself.

I highly recommend visiting the link at the bottom of my signature on properly reporting players. This is coming from a player that has been through your situation countless of dozens of times since game launch January 11 2011.

One thing to keep in mind. The reporting system in this game is player-dependent. Players must properly report and avoid (ignore) in order for the GMs to weed out the type of players you mention.

Most players change after getting a small slap on the wrist from the GM and will tell their friends to watch out also. Believe me. When a player has 400-500 sp on an account, they don't want to be permabanned. You will find this crybabies on youtube that got this type of banhammer.

And lastly, you do not want to fuel the situation further. Many times placing all involved on ignore and leaving the instance entirely will save your sanity (again, I've been playing since the game came out and I'm still sane----for the most part).

Edit: link https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...-in-game-problems-to-dbg.291057/#post-4031908
  5. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Except I seriously doubt the players he was running with had anything near that.

People do say a whole bunch of stuff to make themselves sound good, a very good reason why so many did not like the census, can't hide the truth.

In theory you would be correct, but why take all that time to get 300-400 SP and chance it on a whelm of "might" get a slap on the risk, even a 1 day ban would hurt and be enough to discourage such behavior.

I get that upper SP players can be rather harsh, but I seriously doubt they get that way alone.
  6. darth_paul Dedicated Player

Well, I highly doubt that these were adults, and that's what you get when you let 13 year olds play.

Sorry that you had to go through this, and Aquaman is actually my favorite super-hero, so I think that it's fantastic that you made the character that you did.:cool:
    • Like x 1
  7. High Troller Loyal Player

There's no theory to avoidance. If any player is in a toxic situation, they can exercise what one of the "Tips" from the Warp Screens say when groups don't work out... leave or disband. I am merely supplying the OP with some of the better tools to use when in the situation they were in.

If you actually read through my guide, it is actually not just about reporting. The Ignore feature is highly encouraged.
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Just laugh it off, leave and requeue, it's simply not worth worrying about

Stick em on ignore
    • Like x 3
  9. Aquagirl New Player

1. Yeeeah I know I'm reckless AF,, but if I was THAT reckless they could've idk told me about it?? Also I never said I was perfect. I'm still working abt it because it's legitimately one of my biggest flaws other than laziness and well gluttony I think but I also don't like if EVERYONE else charges it and I'm the only left behind. Especially because I did this alert 238123821902 times before and everyone was basically pewpewpewing around and the Starro Invasion alert is just,, basically grinding bosses? No complicated group mechanics here Also these three guys were actually charging before me at the beginning,, before I joined the fight. Which is one of the reasons I couldn't understand what TF was happening at the time. (But I got it, I should have put the role-optional alert thing on, none of this happened when that thing was on on relatively low-level instances like Starro Invasion, sorry for being forgetful all the time)

2. Yep I know that, this is why I never do PvP and I don't play genres of competition-driven gaming like MOBAs, FPS/TPS or sports games, sticking to more role-driven games such as MMORPGs like DCUO and SWTOR and the occasional old Nintendo or SEGA platform game lol' I won't even call myself a true gamer because of that since I'm more fun-driven/lore-driven and I never look forward to be the best of the best at least not all the time, idk

3. Idk a lot of people tell me that but I've always been a sensitive person. My emotions are heckin' strong, and I've told the worst part was how unexpected all of this was right? I've been emotionally caught off-guard, honestly I was expecting a feel-good fast alert not a competition tournament you cannot expect me to bottle everything up and act like nothing happened right. Like even if they were just 300+ elitist j*rks (which they were not, their CRs were 270 or less, I had the highest CR on the "team" (280)) I won't feel even nearly as bad as I felt because I kind of expect to bump onto these types on some instance or another (especially higher ones like Darkness Rising or BB alert) and even these are kind of fairly on themselves on lower-level instances like Starro Invasion (which was the instance I pugged on). Are you seriously expecting to me to be emotionally-prepared for any a**hats on relatively low-level instances which I do mostly for escapism and ease of stress of both IRL matters and to avoid the more difficult instances ingame a little? Look I don't believe all humans are a bunch of j*rkasses, sorry for being naively hopeful okay. Also idk if I'm being rude or not, I'm sorry if I'm coming across as too mean,, I got a whole hurricane of complicated feelings right now

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to remember it,, speaking of which I should enable tells on LFG and loot as well lol' what if I'm looking for a group and someone PSTs me asking for what type of mat I'm wearing or something? lol' But I just keep forgetting things all the time idk, wtf brain

Well I don't think their SPs were idk higher than 300 or 400, I mean their CRs were all around 270 or lower. Maybe 200SP or something. Still higher than me because all of my characters have legendarily low SPs (158 and lower lol') and still only yet, I hope,, I've met countless actual 300+ CR and astronomically-high SP characters, a bunch of them are kind of condescending but they're not outright bullies. A lot of them are also very kind and happy to help you (you do alert/raid mechanics right, they see you're trying). I still think it's unfair to compare 500+ SP players with these guys,, I know how a condescending CR/SP elitist acts like (due to experience), and it's not even like that at all. Toxic behavior and SP/CR elitism are not the same thing, yes they might be not mutually exclusive but they are not the same thing idk if I'm making any sense here

I've already reported these guys to Support and I've put them to Ignore already,, I'm just afraid I might find more people like them in the future. I don't want my joy from playing DCUO to be hindered by a deliberate emotional shield all the time. And still... even if you end up ignore everyone it's kind of,, insufficient? You might not see their jerkery but it doesn't guarantee they'll learn to be better people, which is why I believe managers should do something about that,, especially because I clearly am not the only victim here. Imagine how countless people these a**hats have harassed/will harass in the future??? I know the best thing we can do (since we have no power over any of these things) is to ignore them, I've ignored them already. I ignore a bunch of people who annoy me regularly actually. I just don't want anyone else to be emotionally caught off-guard and suffer as I did okay? These three guys need to learn or smth, this is why something NEEDS to be done about it oof I think I'm being over-dramatic again I'm sorry
  10. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I think what makes me sad and upset is when new player's pick up a Superhero MMO they are Soo happy and all but when they experience crap like that it's like a wake up call. Like wtf is this Smh it's just crazy how Toxic dcuo can be.
    • Like x 1
  11. Monkeyboy Committed Player

While toxicity is just that, out of your 239812932193 times, were you in the loot window? Have you never seen the juveniles in Shout or Trade? As an adult, I assume any juvenile behavior are kids but sometimes it's not and sad. This is a console and PC game, so many younger play it. Most kids grow out of immaturity, can't take it personal. It's a video game! While this is no defense for toxic behavior, do you think joining a group and then going Pixel Hulk might go against the spirit of a group to begin with? Then you were unresponsive. Not a very good teammate. You admitted your mistakes and how you tried to fix them but damage was done, you ruined others experience. If you were in a league run, then maybe I can understand your frustration but you were not. You can't assume because you have other things to do that others should rush through it. It seems like all the problems you had, you had a hand in them. Sometimes it's better to admit defeat than incite the crowd.
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Corrected "how toxic the internet can be", because DCUO is not a game sitting in some special heightened category of excellence when it comes to negative online experiences, those negative experiences are persistent across all gaming titles of all genres.

I'm not necessarily defending DCUO here but I also think it's somewhat unfair to bag DCUO as being "especially toxic" when that isn't true at all, whatsoever.

I mean even looking at the OP they've said they've run it thousands of times and this is their first negative experience? Doesn't seem overly toxic to me.... Just sayin'
    • Like x 2
  13. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

[quote="Aquagirl, post: 4330491, wtf brain[/S]

Well I don't think their SPs were idk higher than 300 or 400, I mean their CRs were all around 270 or lower. Maybe 200SP or something. Still higher than me because all of my characters have legendarily low SPs (158 and lower lol') and still only yet, I hope,, I've met countless actual 300+ CR and astronomically-high SP characters, a bunch of them are kind of condescending but they're not outright bullies. A lot of them are also very kind and happy to help you (you do alert/raid mechanics right, they see you're trying). I still think it's unfair to compare 500+ SP players with these guys,, I know how a condescending CR/SP elitist acts like (due to experience), and it's not even like that at all. Toxic behavior and SP/CR elitism are not the same thing, yes they might be not mutually exclusive but they are not the same thing idk if I'm making any sense here

I've already reported these guys to Support and I've put them to Ignore already,, I'm just afraid I might find more people like them in the future. I don't want my joy from playing DCUO to be hindered by a deliberate emotional shield all the time. And still... even if you end up ignore everyone it's kind of,, insufficient? You might not see their jerkery but it doesn't guarantee they'll learn to be better people, which is why I believe managers should do something about that,, especially because I clearly am not the only victim here. Imagine how countless people these a**hats have harassed/will harass in the future??? I know the best thing we can do (since we have no power over any of these things) is to ignore them, I've ignored them already. I ignore a bunch of people who annoy me regularly actually. I just don't want anyone else to be emotionally caught off-guard and suffer as I did okay? These three guys need to learn or smth, this is why something NEEDS to be done about it oof I think I'm being over-dramatic again I'm sorry[/quote]

The problem is interpretation.

Separating the two works for you being that you see 1 side as elitist and the other as something else.

That is what you see, others however, see them as toxic and treat them as such.

In your statement you actually acknowledge that higher SP players are more helpful, yet others focus on them being elitist and overlook that aspect all together and see them as plain toxic.

Even below your comment someone posted that very thing when describing new players, where I would already group those toxic players to be newer players or even players on alts, who are just seeking to mess around to kill time.

You even pointed out that those with higher SP knows how it feels to be where you are, which cuts into the whole thing really because they still are far more helpful which also conflicts with them being so toxic because they are also way more helpful.

Sooo...
    • Like x 1
  14. High Troller Loyal Player

You stated you reported the players to the Task Force X forum. That is not where you report cancerous players. They will not have their judgment from a GM because you failed to report the player in question. Additionally, you may have also fueled the situation further. Do know your options in the future. Do keep in mind that you're playing a game that gets policed off of proper Player-Submitted Reports. I highly encourage you to review the link at the bottom of my signature. My guide offers guidance in situations that you experienced.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If you look at the first page Melusine Midnight already showed her where to report players. They've been reported.
    • Like x 2
  16. Magnificent Loyal Player

It's about as toxic as a given FPS match/lobby. It's the most toxic of any MMO I can remember playing (although memories have a tendency to become romanticized as time passes) and I've played quite a few (Meridian 57, the original NWN on AOL, The Realm, Anarchy Online, EQ, EQ2, CoX, Champions Online, AC, Runescape, Ultima Online, ESO, etc). Granted, a lot of them were in the early days of internet gaming and/or the early phases of the game when everyone is still distracted by the bright and shiny newness of the games, but generally speaking I don't remember any other game where I could go into a busy zone and routinely see the trash talk I do in WT. Is it the inclusion of the PS crowd? Is it the FTP aspect? Is it that the customer base is far more transient these days? Something else?

I know back in their primes UO and NWN could be rough in the PVP areas and people would snipe back and forth occasionally in EQ's /shout over camp/spawn disputes, but it was uncommon and rarely lasted longer than 5 minutes (at which point many others in the zone/area would berate both parties, telling them to take it to /tell or something similar).

I can log into the CoX Homecoming server, hit every zone and see no trash-talking at all, even in raids where players are under-performing (I haven't gone back into the PVP areas since Homecoming came up, so no idea on those), same with EQ, EQ2, The Realm and ESO (the latter being the only one with a solid population throughout most zones).

All that is to say that yes, there is room to believe DCUO is pretty toxic for an MMORPG (and this is coming from someone who bristles at using the word "toxic" as being "too PC").
    • Like x 1
  17. Monkeyboy Committed Player

I call lies! As a veteran MMO player, every MMO has a toxic environment. For old WoW players, Barrens Chat, would be a nuclear explosion today. ESO is currently no better and some cases worse than DCUO. Stop acting like Internet toxicity is not the same across games played by a lot of the same people or a new thing. Just because the new thing currently is outrage over the slightest minute thing, doesn't mean it wasn't there before. These posts are more toxic than some immature kids to the community.
  18. Magnificent Loyal Player

The highlighted portion of your post comes across as nothing more than attempting to stifle a discussion you don't like, regardless of how non-hostile the discussion may be. That sort of exaggerated stance disqualifies anything else in your post, to me.

I stand by my statement.
  19. Zamara Dedicated Player

Next time something like that happens go in your chat and do "/report "the player's name" and then the reason of your report, if their name has spaces do it between "", doing this correctly will give you a message in your chat saying your recent chat was saved for a person in the support team to review and that you must fill a ticket in the support site (help.daybreakgames.com) to complete the process, in your case since it was multiple people i think you could just report one of them in game and it'd be enough cause it'll save your whole chat including the other 2 player's messages, then you need to go to the support site and as i said earlier fill a support ticket, in your ticket you can explain the situation more in detail, include all the player's names that were harrasing you and don't forget to mention that you did an in game report and send it. Once you've sent the ticket that's all you need to do, support can't update you on their actions (if any was done) due to their privacy policy but you can be sure they'll look into it and take the appropiate actions when necessary.

Edit: I know multiple people told you already how to report them, that you can do screenshots or clips but i didn't see any of them mention how to do it with the report function that's why i'm repeating some stuff. The report function is useful if you can't record videos.
    Edit 2: I didn't see High Troller's post until now :p
    • Like x 2
  20. Monkeyboy Committed Player

The highlighted portion? I'm not sorry for using facts but facts are facts. If stating facts are stifling a discussion then I'm guilty as charged. Exaggerated stance? Regardless of how non-hostile the discussion may be? Your word play is horrendous. To me, it shows you are not proper for a discussion like this. You start off by claiming to have experience to only show you don't! All those games you mentioned are just as toxic, if not more. Your erroneous opinion that DCUO is toxic and posting about it comparing to other games, seems self-serving in the moment! I find it interesting after all the mistakes the OP posted she did, you glossed over them. I stand by my comments.