Nubia shouldn't be in that Council of Wonder Women. Here's who I would cast instead.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Catastrophic Repercussion, Jul 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

I really appreciate you two for understanding my arguments and clarifying it to others!
    The title... my intention is to make it appropriately clickbait-y, though I guess it somewhat backfired as most people don't really comprehend what I wrote... oh whatever.
    Well, my point is the Bat and Lex councils don't have the main character on the team, so following that logic the main WW wouldn't be on this new council. Also, this makes more room to cram in another alternate title-holder :D
    No doubt YMMV.
    Too Batman-like for my taste but they have RSWW on the official roster so heh
    Red Son showing up isn't really that surprising IMO, DC likes that franchise quite a bit, Injustice also has RS character skins, CW adapted it for Supergirl (so I've heard, I don't follow TV much), an animated adaptation was out recently... I think WW getting such treatment before Superman is slightly peculiar though.

The real shock to me is Bombshell WW won't get to interact with JLA WW in this episode though, at least based on this promo image. I really hoped they would follow up that tease from Age of Justice!
    The Wonder Women I mentioned in OP are all from other universes or timelines (though I cheated a bit with the Artemis image: She is the title-holder on Earth-16 though), that's why I suggested them. SLWW would be a cool alternative since my entire point is to have more non-...Dianas on the team!
    If Temi is the only WW who is not Diana among the group, yes she would also feel like an odd duck.
    • Like x 2
  2. Apollonia Dedicated Player

That would only hold true if Hippolyta was on the council. It really is a council of whatever-i-want-it-to-be. Loosely interpreted how the writer prefers.

To the OP's point, Artemis would also break the convention in the same way Nubia does anyhow, so that's not a convincing argument.
    Personally I would have preferred it to follow the CW Flash's council of Harrisons and council of Batmen lead by making the council comprised of different iterations of the same character. For consistency sake it makes the most sense. And they could have still featured Artemis and Nubia in other parts of the DLC somehow--which I think is inarguably what most fans would expect from a DLC like this after so many years. This is a recognizable convention for most fans so it's what they'd expect.

I'm skim reading so I apologize if someone beat me to it, but SJ specifically tweeted that Nubia was leading the council.
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

shadow cabinet was a cool comic. i remember the old marvel new universe title "DP7" in later issues had a team of minority characters. I loved the character of "Indigo".

i have a weird way of looking at things. being white and gay sort of puts me in a weird spot. i see it all from all sides (everybody sucks).

personally i would totally scrap the wonderverse dlc if i could trade it in for a titans east episode with bumblebee, hawk and dove, lilith and the guardian.
    • Like x 1
  4. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

and G'Narkk. especially G'Narkk.
    • Like x 1
  5. Trexlight Devoted Player

Thata very unlike thing to be said from you Mags. How about they chose Nubia because she is in fact a Wonder Woman that doesnt get seen that much? Not everything is about being "woke" and sending a message.
    • Like x 10
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Without getting too into it; so what? Even if the push to put Nubia front and center was inspired by current events, who cares? That's not a bad thing. It's only a shame that it didn't happen sooner or that it took current events to inspire a move like this.

Your take may be correct, but it assumes that's a bad thing somehow when in fact there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with seeing something that needs fixing and fixing it, even if it's late or even if it took some awkward reflection to make it happen. Fixing it for any reason is better than never fixing it.
    • Like x 11
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I have a dream, that one day someone will be able to have a non-white character in a prominent role in their work of fiction, without being accused of having some kind of agenda.
    • Like x 12
  8. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Maybe the agenda is that a future episode will take us to Earth 23 or that something will come up that involves Earth 23... Maybe the agenda is that DC Comics wanted her included because something big in other media for them involving her is coming up soon... Maybe the agenda is that there is no agenda...

Honestly I don't care. That she was included and the artists appear to have done a great job rendering her for this image is enough for me.
    • Like x 1
  9. Controller Devoted Player

Look, scrap Nubia AND Red Son Wonder Woman.

Replace them with the Wonder Twins.
    • Like x 1
  10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

NO!!!!!

No wonder twins.

!@#$ing wendy and marvin wannabes.
    • Like x 2
  11. Controller Devoted Player

Here's hoping that Nubia isn't the last intro of diverse characters into DCUO.

If / When they do the next ones PLEASE include The Signal

[IMG]

"Just" learned about The Signal.....WOW.

DC's got a PLETHORA of diverse talent they're sleeping on.
    • Like x 2
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I hope we get Batwing too.
    • Like x 2
  13. L T Devoted Player

Just in case you were wondering what precisely got you the like...
    • Like x 2
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Except, you know, they aren't really beholden to do the exact same thing they did in other similar content. In fact they seem to get a lot more flak from folks around here (especially lately) when they DO follow previous patterns.

Ah, those no-win scenarios. Such a lovely pitfall. Get flak for doing similar stuff, only to turn around and get more flak for NOT doing similar stuff.
    • Like x 1
  15. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Hi there. Care to take a look at the last line you conveniently left out?
    My OP's entire point is to have less-Diana-reskins on the team, which can differ it more from the Bat and Lex councils?

Alas, not many of you actually engage in what I wrote, so have fun continue dunking on me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  16. Toshknight Loyal Player

oh for sure
  17. Toshknight Loyal Player

thats too awesome for them to do. and makes to much sense. the whole council of so and so. is getting kinda road out, you have the council of luthors. the council of Wells which i know is on the flash tv show, but its out there, the council of reed richards' the council of batmen, i mean do we really need a council of ww, with a character added that showed up for maybe 3 issues
  18. Stardazer Committed Player

Wow, I'm actually quite surprised and disappointed in your comment, Magician.

Like others have mentioned, I think it's about time we stop accusing the "woke movement" to hide our own prejudices. Saying they only used a minority character because of this "woke movement" implies that the norm is/should be white/euro-centric. Why can't people just accept that fact that there are people of colour (and non-heterosexual, etc.) that also deserve recognition. I think it was about time they introduced Nubia, and hopefully we see more diverse characters throughout that game. Not just because of some "movement" but because these characters exist and deserve to be seen. Normalize diversity, not the movement.
    • Like x 7
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I took a look at that line I omitted, absolutely. But I considered it to be a bit extraneous to what I wanted to address so I dropped it.

And my point still stands. The devs are free to follow whatever pattern they wish and don't have to follow what's been done before if it doesn't work with what they want to accomplish.

You may not like or agree with it, but that's the way it works.

And getting away from reskins probably won't ever work because there are folks out there nitpicky and pedantic enough to argue that any new character model is nothing more than a reskin if it's a new version of an existing character. There's no guarantee that it'd be a valid argument, but when has that stopped folks here before? LOL

There are ways of getting folks to actually engage in what you wrote. Speaking personally, I don't see using clickbait-style titles for a thread as a particularly good starting point for decent and/or thoughtful engagement or dialogue. That's just me, though.
    • Like x 2
  20. Elusian Crowd Control

For me it lacks Lynda Carter. This council is incomplete without her.
    • Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.