Can I change my facial features?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sprout Robinson, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Sprout Robinson Active Player

I know that I can change my character's skin and hair, but I'm wondering if there are any vendors/kiosks that let me change my facial features/expression? I dropped some LexCoins on the Botanical hair style, but it makes my character look a lot older than I intended (which I would like to counter by picking either bigger eyes or a happier facial expression). Is this a thing? Or are we locked in to whatever we selected during character creation?
  2. Eve YouTuber

Sadly the only way to do it now is by changing skins. You can get new skins from the vendor near old s.t.a.r labs in metropolis.
    • Like x 2
  3. Megzilla Developer

Skins are the only way to tweak facial features; but structures do not change much in order for face and head items to work without requiring multiple versions.
    • Like x 8
  4. Eve YouTuber

Is it something you consider of adding? or is it impossible?
  5. Megzilla Developer

Adding more skins? Yes we would definitely would like to. But I wouldn't expect faces to change dramatically (our new skins feature different shapes of facial structures to distinguish them from one another but their placement on the head doesn't really change). However I am not 100% sure of how much flexibility with moving features around.

It would be neat to have more expressions though, I don't see that being a huge problem. They would prob have to be somewhat subtle since faces will distort quite a bit with emotes like yelling.
    • Like x 6
  6. HL4LYFE Well-Known Player

is it possible to add primal batmans skin? minus the bat logo, or a skin that looks similar?
  7. Eve YouTuber

More meant to let us customize the faces like you can do in other games, but seems like skins are the only way. Could we be getting any new skins anytime soon? Characters really look alike so I would like more variety of skins!
  8. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

There is a trick to get a different face but it has to be done at the character creation stage.

The Martian manhunter ‘inspired by’ on the male side has a different face to all other faces. If you use this as a base then you can also change between striker, spark & brute, which gives you a somewhat unique look for each of these options. Spark in particular has very soft features like a young boy. Both striker and brute are more angry faces but they are unique compared with the standard face everyone uses.

I remember checking once and as far as I know there is no alternative face for female characters using this method.
    • Like x 1
  9. Sprout Robinson Active Player

I hadn't realized the facial expressions were tied in with the skins! This was helpful, thank you.
    I understand your point about structure- any chance of decoupling the facial expression/features from the skins in the future? I'd love to be able to have the youthful facial expression with the plant skin for example.

And, as long as we're here: I really love this game :) Thank you to you and the other devs, this is helping keep me sane during quarantine
    • Like x 1
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I realize i'm not a Dev, but I have already seen them answer questions like this one, the short answer...no. Slightly longer answer: While they would love to be able to add features like this, design decisions that were made long ago prevent that. They would have to rework code from the ground up in order to add that, something the higher ups will not approve. That's why Megzilla does the best she can under these constraints and when time and project management allow.
    • Like x 1
  11. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Perhaps turn some of those expressions into temporary actions available via the Social Emotes menu?
  12. Megzilla Developer

I know what you mean. I use the barbarian skin and it has the old style face. :( I hope one day we get the opportunity to decouple the face from the skin.

I'm really glad to hear we have been able to help. :)
    • Like x 3
  13. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Would it be more feasible to make a barbarian skin( or any other variant) for each of the three new base facial features. That way we could have a Barbarian skin with each ethnic facial feature? Maybe that could be a solution if decoupling isn't possible.
    • Like x 1
  14. Megzilla Developer

Yep, that's how we would have to do it with our current tech! We have a lot of skin requests in our backlog we would love to get to when we are able.
    • Like x 4