Of the three most requested powersets I see...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by travelingtheory, Jun 30, 2020.

1. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

Wind,strength and speed...what do you think could actually work in the game, supporting 30 abiltiies or so?

Not what do you think we will get, because thats a pointless talk. Rather what could actually work thinking beyond the 3 abilities you really want like super punch etc. If you want it that bad itd be easier to make an iconic superpunch similar to the one you throw as doomsday during the small ville alert. Massive knock back and damage.

I think speedster has the most room to work with since its half finished in game already. Wind they can custom build from the ground up but its a bit blah another elemental ability with so so visuals.

Something I think no ones considered is the time traveling component of speedsters, potentially giving them electric, dazed, and TIME DILATION pi's. Giving quantum's someone to work with finally and giving a ton of different skills beyond just running fast. temporal clones, chrono field, time reversal to reverse damage etc.
  2. dresserball Dedicated Player

Uh . . . serums.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That and Lantern Healers tend to get a lot more requests.

As for Strength? Between the Brawling weapon attacks and some Earth powers, there isn't much left to add to try and flesh out a super strength power set. Even though it's been a while, many of the moves I remember from CO's strength power get covered by Brawling and Earth here.

And with Freezing Breath, the Lasso iconic move and Heat Vision already in the game, those help cover the requests for Kryptonian and/or Amazonian power sets when added with Brawling/Earth (or Shield/Earth if one wishes to go the same route as Wonder Woman).
    • Like x 2
  4. Reverse~Reverse Flash Active Player

5. HL4LYFE Well-Known Player

serums is my most wanted still, i always imagined it hav a supercharge similar to banes in legends, an its alrdy been show they can resize character models in the urgrund raid i think it is, the 1 where you pick up those weapons an u get huge, even if its just a rsized brute body its still there

also i would love to see like a gunslinger power, not munitions bc thats military like, i mean like a western cowboy thing, it could use some of the dual pistol animations

and of course necromancer, i want a power that truly uses all kinds of pets, sorcery is the cloestest we have with its grand summoning but thats a SC, i want to send out hell hounds an zombies and crows even just a buch of different summons to send out, not permantly stay out but the powers are not just colorful blotches
  6. Whodini Well-Known Player

I tend to veer more towards Cybernetics, Vampirism, and Illusions as powers.

Cybernetics (Tank) - Force fields, Various energy/explosive weapons via transformer like shape shifting, etc...
    Vampirism (Troller) - Hypnosis (glamouring), shape shifting (bats, wolves, mist), and draining enemies
    Illusions (Troller) - Teleporting, clones, blinding enemies, confusing enemies

Healer is a little tougher. Most will scream Blue Lantern but I just don't get excited for that. I think something like serums would make more sense to heal folks with some medicine administering type powers.
  7. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

Vampirism is more popular in marvel lore, but cyborg is a frequent request.

The thing is, like an above poster noted, You basically get alot of Superstrength for instance, in brawling and atomic weirdly enough, as the trasmute density mitigates damage.

Cyborg is similar. You can more or less RP a cyborg from the gadgets tree. Vortex cannon, shock grenades. They COULD do better, but the thing is any half finished powerset probably wouldnt work well.

Illusions or pets is a mmo style you dont really get here. Id like to see a true pet class, but dont know if the game could support it. Oddly enough DC not wanting to copy iconic heroes made them go elemental heavy, which very few popular heroes actually are if you think about it. How many fire charged heroes do you know besides fire really?

The big guns like dr fate are more interesting and unique
  8. Mazahs Loyal Player

Just a few fire based https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Pyrokinesis
  9. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

I should have said without consulting a wiki
  10. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Word is that Serums was ultimately veto-d by DC because of the drug connotation. Characters like Hourman and Bane literally dose up to get powerful.

So, a physical powerset yes... But it's unlikely to be theme'd around "serums"
  11. thedemonocus Loyal Player

necromancer
    it could raise the KO'd enemies and have them fight as pets
  12. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

I feel like from the powersets weve seen we can confirm they want them generic, because it distances themselves from actual heroes. But generic elemental powersets arent what people sign up for.

Also I get the serums thing, im not sure why people want them so bad, its just a different potion.
  13. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

I'd love to see Nature get split into two different powersets: Fauna (tank) with Vixen-like abilities and more leafy Flora (healer).
    Nature the way it is now is a weird mix-up and doesn't feel complete on either side. :(

Other tank I could imagine is some sort of plastic stretchy powers (like Plastic Man).

For trolls - Wind and Shadow. Wind could be difficult because lots of similar abilities already exist in game.
    Shadow should be more smoke-like, for example, taking inspiration from Mortal Kombat's Smoke and Overwatch's Reaper. :oops:

As for Lantern Healers... Like many I'd love to see Lantern set completed but Blue Lantern will not work at all. Blue Lantern is hero only, plus it only works near Green Lanterns, according to lore. Which means there has to be an alternative for villains. Orange Lantern won't do since Larfleeze doesn't want to share. And how Orange could even heal someone?...
    Black and White Lanterns are a big no-no. Indigo and Star Sapphires fit to both factions.

So it has to be either Indigo or Star Sapphires. I'd personally pick Star Sapphires, as love can be both soothing and volatile, and like Rage, it's on the edge of the Spectrum. I just wish they were portrayed in more violet/purple color like on actual rainbow, rather than pinkish. :oops:

Lanterns aside, Vampirism would be interesting as well - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/detailed-vampire-powerset.235921/
  14. Dub T Well-Known Player

We need Captain Planet power! We already have Earth, Water, and Fire. We just beed Wind and Heart powers, lol!
  15. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Lot's of threads over the years begging for more Lantern powers.... Biggest request being blue (possibly a controller?) and maybe Indigo ( not sure but it could probably be adapted to be a healer?) Personally I like Whodini's idea for Cybernrtics… I think that would make a cool Troll power set.

I really enjoyed the Justice League Dark DLC and would love to see some other form of magic put into play.
  16. Mazahs Loyal Player

Why do people keeping thinking / posting this this?
    They (devs) even stated that the grappling aspect of Serums was problematic at best-
    Then Jens put up the poll asking which the players wanted more Water vs Serums. Most likley water was picked for the poll
    as Water was one of the most requested powers

I wasn't being cute...It's easier to post a link than physically type out that much info. :rolleyes:
  17. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Because it's correct. By "the word is" I mean that's what the Dev response was. I personally recall reading it -- IIRC it was off the record discussion from one of the last SOELive meetups.

Yes, the tech from the grappling mechanic was difficult. That's a separate issue from the theme. It requires engineering support. That's not why "serums" as a theme was vetoed. They're not mutually exclusive and can both be true. If the mechanic is giving your team trouble during a period of staffing instability and you lose approval for the theme and don't have another concept, you lose momentum on the project. That's how it works in these related fields.

Water has never ever been one of the most requested powers -- often requested but never been one of the most requested. It's been requested but never made a top 10 list ever. As a much newer player who wasn't around in beta or the first initial years of the game, you're probably unaware that a physical powerset is the absolute longest requested and easily most requested power in the history of the game having multiple threads requesting it and each of them having likes in the hundreds.
  18. Mazahs Loyal Player

FYI- I played since launch.
    Also here's Jens official response via twitter. https://twitter.com/Spytle/status/615991717800509440 (talking about poll responses)
    It was simply the easier way to do it, knowing that more people wanted water that Serums.

Don't know what rock you've been living under, but you may want to peak out of it a bit more often.
  19. tukuan Devoted Player

20. SSB Active Player

Crazy idea. Give us Atomic in healer role like they planned to do before serum got scrapped. Just change the name, color, tweak a few things and roll it out. It's not like they don't already have the animations and everything else in their systems for it. I kinda want to see how it would have worked in healer role.