The Cons Of Dcuo

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by EvilDeeds, Jun 22, 2020.

1. EvilDeeds Active Player

what Dcuo is missing to not attract more players 1 No much in the way of power customization. And all the types play too similarly.Like they all play as the super spammy dps brute with no real arch types. this feels more like avatar online than DC
    [IMG]
    2 See that guy over there? The one with the official DC name? You will never be as cool as them. So a
    game about superhero fantasy, you never get to be the cool one You don't even have superpowers like that guy. You have Plot Nanites.
    Only like 3 body types, all of them ugly and exaggerated no face/body proportion customization at all, costume creator is cumbersome trash.no new personalty's since the game dropped Plus the fact that a lot of your superpowers are someone else's superpowers and there's no real room to abstract anything out as something of your own making.

You don't get to be you, a Super with your own origin story. You get to be you, a muggle who has accidentally inherited other people's awesomeness. DCUO has less power and costume customization in 2020 than COH had in 2004.
    • Like x 6
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If you desire, you can follow along with and strictly adhere to the story the devs gave to the game. Or you can selectively choose what works for you to explain where your character's powers came from. Or you can ignore it if you wish.

As for customization? There's a thread at the top of this particular forum that's been pinned there, and it's the only non-dev thread that's been pinned here. It's been going since 2013, has almost 17,000 replies and is filled to the brim with costumes and character looks that players have come up with over the years.

Kinda puts a dent (if not a gaping hole) in any customization arguments that can be made about the game. If this game was so limited in what we can do with our character looks, that thread would have died out long ago.
    • Like x 7
  3. EvilDeeds Active Player

the thread your talking about is for costumes or dressing up im talking about being able to edit face height width of body and so on
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

From your original post:

That's not all you were talking about. ;) Making costumes and/or dressing up characters is part of customization and they have consistently added new styles and new avenues for customization while also adding new content in the game over the course of the game. CO can't really make the same claim, especially when it comes to new content additions in the same time frame.

And for good or ill, the way gear was made for the game and our characters doesn't allow for body sliders. Personally I don't mind as it helps keep the Jim Lee-inspired aesthetic intact and gives more of a comic book impression to me than Champions characters ever really did.
    • Like x 6
  5. EvilDeeds Active Player

i meant to say customization you know what i meant and no playing dress up isn't the same thing
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The "ship" for that type of customization sailed over 9 years ago. Short of them rebuilding the game from the very ground up it will not happen. So any suggestions to that are absolutely pointless. This game has it's fair share of issues, lack of customization is not really one of them.

P.S.: Neverwinter gives you all of those "options", but try to change your appearance (costume style pieces, costume colors) on the fly on a regular basis for free...see how far you get there. You call customization trash here, but you really don't know what trash is.
    • Like x 3
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Sorry, but it is. Everything in the Style tab, from Auras to Weapons and Movement Modes, ALL contribute to customizing a character. Even lair/base choice can have an effect on character customization to an extent, with different bases having different types of Back-Up characters.

Body sliders for characters are not the only means or method of defining character customization in a game.
    • Like x 4
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'd suggest you go play COH then. Sounds like it's the game for you.
    • Like x 3
  9. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Nine, three: practically the same thing!

Why, whenever I do math, and I consider using the number "9," I use "3" instead, because it makes no difference!
    • Like x 5
  10. Wallachia Devoted Player

I'm going to go ahead and guess that this is the type of guy who wants more customization options just so he can make Superman388465636 and go around spamming flight powers.
    • Like x 2
  11. I3eleth Well-Known Player

Would be cool if they did a thing like 2k games did where you take a selfie or upload a picture and you can use your own image as your characters custom face.
  12. Miss Adora Loyal Player

glad we can't play the original characters, last thing we need is 90000000 Batman, Superman, Wonder Women, etc etc running around. Bad enough we have that many cheep knockoffs running around. However I do agree, wish customization was better, where we adjust size, height, facial features, muscle mass. But the game is what it is, it was design for ps3 before moving it to PC, then X-Box, now switch. Not sure why they went with this direction, I heard in beta they had sliders.
    • Like x 3
  13. Heywiar Committed Player

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Champions Online is WAY more creative with character customizations and powers/movements modes. DCUO has one of the worst character customizations I've ever seen in any MMO.
    Too bad Champions Online has horrible combat.
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Play Neverwinter and THEN come back here with that silly statement. Just because we don't have that level of customization doesn't mean what we have is terrible.
    • Like x 2
  15. thedemonocus Loyal Player

I played CO and yes it has way more customization but the gameplay is trash and i would much rather play dcuo
    • Like x 5
  16. Batrederik Dedicated Player

Huh
    [IMG]

I hope you are joking.
  17. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Exactly!!! Op is highlighting the game’s customization yet avoiding the horrendous gameplay that present within coh
    • Like x 1
  18. Heywiar Committed Player

Oh absolutely, that's why I don't play CO haha. DCUO has some of the best combat I've seen in a video game.
    Dude relax. I don't like magic-based MMO's which is why I play DCUO...doesn't have a lot of orcs and elves and stuff like that.
    And if many more MMO's have way better customization then yes, DCUO's is not great. It is VERY limited compared to most of the other MMO's I have played and/or experienced. I love DCUO, it is tied for my favourite game but you can't rely deny there is a lot of limitations with customization.
  19. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

the guy has a point tho all the powers are boring spam everyday its gets old fast and the creation is garbage how could you guys not expect people to have problems with this game
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It turns out that different people like different things and none of them are "wrong" because they have different views.

The game is jam-packed with players these days, at least on US PC/PS, so obviously plenty of people find it worth playing and paying for. Others inevitably won't. Film at 11.
    • Like x 2