DCUO Restart

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Michael Brown, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Michael Brown New Player

I think moving forward they should restart all dlcs and make them match our CRs. I.E. the older content like fight for light should be the current highest cr difficulty and we grind from there and work our way back up. This way we don’t lose our SP, gear artifact progress. We could also revamp the CR cap and make it 50 again and grind our way up as you release DLC after DLC. I can’t imagine us being cr 950 do content that’s a whole essay length to find the feats etc. maybe someone can build on this idea and smooth it out
  2. Schimaera Devoted Player

o_O:confused: yeah, right
    • Like x 4
  3. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

ESO goes all the way to 810
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No thanks.
    • Like x 4
  5. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

To be fair, that's not the same.

ESO has horizontal progression and everything is scaled. A lvl 10 player can play alongside someone who is CP 810 in a new zone. Additionally, the content doesn't become irrelevant because your stats are too high. Even at CP 810 you can't blow your way past everything in a beginner area with just one-shots.

A CR 41 player cannot hope to compete at all in an environment that requires CR 90.
    • Like x 3
  6. Irvynnge Loyal Player

hells, no. so much no. all the no. no to the nth. with a big ol' side order of no.
    • Like x 4
  7. Dub T Well-Known Player

Nuff said.
    • Like x 1
  8. wm2020 New Player

What if a new tab of duty content was created that would be the exact same raids we have but scaled up/down to a specific number? With the only rewards being rare style items and no feats being applied in the content? The LPVE week showed me there might be a group of players who might like to play just for fun instead of this flawed progression.
  9. BeastGamingSkill Level 30

Why stop there? They should reset everything including materials, auras, Skill points and even names every year. Imagine all the money they can make if they did. Im sure all the players would love this idea
    • Like x 2
  10. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

LMAO Oh A good laugh smh good stuff .
  11. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

This idea is going to be dead on arrival.

People pay a monthly sub to experience NEW content, not old.

This also does nothing to help out with grinding out feats either, making them available; let alone be the requirement for end-game content is not going to ensure that groups will complete feats.

For instance: Why would I trust a group to complete Medic! for me? When I can just go back, kill the instance quickly through the FOS 3 portal, and not have to worry about anyone else messing up the feat for me? I'd gladly take the convenience of smashing through older content that we have now versus it being forced on us through end-game.

Yeah that's why they don't allow a CR 41 to enter a CR 90 environment to begin with.

The difference between ESO and what the OP is suggesting is that going back to older content in ESO is optional, what the OP is suggesting would be old content being a forced requirement to back travel through.

I'm all for wanting older content to have some incentives for you to run it through, but saying "Hey the new piece of end-game content is an Old Tier 2 raid you've done. Enjoy." Will do nothing but annoy the crap of veteran players, we already got enough people complaining about the fact that DCUO reuses maps from old locations and now you guys are suggesting for them to reuse old instances as a whole?

You've gotta be kidding me. There's much better ideas already out there to get people running old content, this idea isn't one of them.
    • Like x 3
  12. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I didn't suggest anything, but I'll give my thoughts.

I am simply not a fan of such vertical progression. This isn't an issue specific to DCUO, of course, but I prefer more horizontal progression. Some people enjoy the feeling of progression (i.e starting from the bottom and then being able demolish things once you're at the top) but it really doesn't interest me. Especially since the NPCs are largely similar regardless of which zone you're in. A Joker goon in a lvl 23 area and a Joker goon in a CR 210 area is still a Joker goon and it doesn't make too much sense to have one be so weak and other be so strong. But that's just nitpicking.

I prefer horizontal progression because it makes it feel like there is more content for me to do rather than the newest DLC. For instance, at max CP in ESO, I can complete Glenumbra (starting zone) with a decent amount of challenge as well as complete Clockwork City (a later DLC). I also don't feel pressure to have the newest gear set and there aren't barriers to being able to do new content.

I think that the way open episodes is done is pretty cool. I would like to see that sort of scaling done but obviously the episodes wouldn't be free. I wouldn't force it upon everyone though since people have differing perspectives on this.
  13. Wallachia Devoted Player

Excuse me jumping in, but what is the difference between vertical and horizontal progression?
    • Like x 1
  14. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

As far as I understand it-

Vertical progression is basically where leveling up grants you more power. Leveling up gives you increased stats. This also grants you the ability to access harder content while also making previous locations feel a lot easier. From my experience, previous zones become obsolete. Some would say this encourages grinding gear to remain at the top. DCUO and FFXIV are examples of this.

Horizontal progression is where leveling can unlock more abilities and you can modify your stats. New content doesn't necessarily require better stats and you don't need to grind gear in order to compete. Rather than grinding gear for progression, you would be grinding it for certain stats you want, achievements, or just cosmetics. GW2 and ESO are games that start out as vertical progression but it becomes more horizontal at Endgame. Both games still have some vertical progression aspects though, but neither require as much continous grinding, especially not when you reach the max which remains the max.

All games do it differently, but generally speaking, it seems like games with more vertical progression happen to make all content that isn't the most relevant content irrelevant and/or very easy. I.e a CR 240 player wouldn't be interested in grinding a CR 70 area unless it was for feats. The gear you obtain would effectively be useless.

On the other hand, all or almost all content in a game that is predominantly horizontal in progression is relevant. You can do dailies in content that is four years old or content that is 4 days old and still get respectable loot. GW2 for instance has two major expansions. Although Path of Fire is the most recent, even if you get all your gear from there, you can still get equally decent loot in Heart of Thorns. Heart of Thorns, despite being like 5 years old, still has dailies and bounties that can be done and it would be impossible to steamroll through them, unlike DCUO.

This could be in an interesting read:

https://www.engadget.com/2014-02-05-mmo-mechanics-comparing-vertical-and-horizontal-progression.html
    • Like x 1
  15. The Anxient Loyal Player

One of the worst ideas I've seen. You want to restart your toon and do nothing but run old content we've beaten hundreds of times, delete all your gear (so you can keep all your sp and artifacts) and knock yourself out.
    • Like x 4