why theres no dcuo 2 ?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by sechi45, May 12, 2020.

1. sechi45 New Player

why theres no dcuo 2 ?
    • Like x 3
  2. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

next year...ps5 exclusive...tell Santa...or not....who knows
    • Like x 1
  3. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Rather than being snarky, I'll try to answer your question.

1. Time and resources. Essentially building a whole new game is an extreme undertaking and poses a very high risk.

2. Personally, I'm unaware of any MMO other than Guild Wars that has a sequel. GW2 is ~8 years old, WoW is ~16 years old, FFXIV is ~7 years old, SWTOR is almosy 9 years old I think. So although a sequel is probably desirable, a good MMO has longevity and doesn't absolutely need a sequel.

Edit: That said, DCUO's graphics have aged rather poorly. It's largely irrelevant to me but the difference in graphics between some of the bigger AAA MMOs (barring WoW) and DCUO is considerable. DCUO does have a unique art style, though.
    • Like x 10
  4. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

wasn't snarky...devs themselves said they are working on a super title with next gen ...people can look this stuff up...how happy will all the dc fanboys be when they find out their dc gamblebox money went to develop a game where the moment you reach max level you become an XMAN!!! ??? ps5 next year is well known...why wouldn't the next gen supergame be dc based and ready for the latest hardware...how many millions should they use to develop the next "VCR Interactive" game...remember...youd play a tape and squiggle your doll...sorry..."Action Figure" in front of the screen...kinda done with that...aren't we...but ill take a ps5..
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

why on earth would I need another DCUO? I'm not done with this one, yet.
    • Like x 5
  6. Chiemara Well-Known Player

I would like if we had a DCUO that used the new Unreal Engine with stuff like in this video. I think the graphics in DCUO are pretty good, I wish there were a couple different variations on the flight animation (character always holds the same arm out every time, would have been nice to switch arms now and then or use double arms when at supersonic, like Superman did often)

• Like x 1
  7. Eve YouTuber

There is honestly no need for DCUO 2. But who knows, it might be in the works.
    Everquest 2 also exist (Sequel to the first game that is still around). Planetside (no longer playable) has PlanetSide 2.
    And agreed. I don't think DCUO needs DCUO 2. I am not against but I don't think it will fix anything or add anything.
    There is still a lot that can and should be done in current DCUO.
    • Like x 8
  8. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I have yet to find any other mmo that has given me even a fraction of the enjoyment that this game has given me. yeah, it's got it's faults, of course it has, it can be frustrating at times, it can be positively rage-inducing at times, but I wouldn't be feeling that frustration or rage if I didn't genuinely care about & love the game. no game ever has made me feel the way I felt that afternoon when we first completed Power Core at level as a proper group, working together, oh so very long ago now. taking down our first Sub Avatar. doing my first solo Gotham / Metropolis bounty run. Paradox Wave. Prime. dang it, even my first ever boss ( Scarecrow ). the list goes on & on & on.

they might well do a DCUO2, who know? but even if they did, I'm not going anywhere.
    • Like x 1
  9. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I'll just quote what I've said from another thread:

• Like x 2
  10. Whodini Well-Known Player

A sequel is probably unlikely...but I assume an improvement in graphics would be possible, similar to the jump from PS3 to PS4.
    • Like x 2
  11. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

I look around in dcuo now and see pvp is a mess, artifacts taking over, time capsules putting people in debt. This does't bring me confidence in a dcuo 2. Besides better graphics what will dcuo 2 accomplish? There have been plenty of awesome graphic games taken off the shelf because at its core it not as good as it should be. While better graphics is nice we don't need cosmetic/graphic changes, we need game play changes
    In all honesty I'm not looking forward to this next game they're working on but that's for personal reasons I wont force on y'all
    • Like x 3
  12. Whodini Well-Known Player

I always wanted DCUO to have more of a comic book style. Sometimes when I'm fighting a bunch of random robots or zombies I forget that this is a superhero game. I guess I just hate the parts of instances between bosses.
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Oh hells no...why is it always someone else's fault when people make senseless decisions??? Unless there's an actual kid behind the account, every individual needs to own their actions. No matter what's wrong about Time Capsules, the moment "YOU" decide to buy those keys it becomes your choice. Be an adult and own your decisions, stop blaming others.
    • Like x 10
  14. Brit Loyal Player

If you give your kid your credit card and let them go to the store with it, and then they spend $2000 on Pokémon cards, it might be because they are a brat kid, or because you didn't teach them proper spending, or because you just should have known better than to hand them your credit card, but it is certainly not WalMart to blame because "random contents is basically gambling and so that preys on the children to make excessive purchases."

When a parent hands their credit card to their child, they have a responsibility both as a parent and as the cardholder. Even if those purchases are a literal child, it is still not the business's fault because some cruddy parent never teaches their child about basic money, responsibility, or at the very least knows better than to hand their credit card information to a child.
    • Like x 7
  15. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Dimensional Ink is working on a new Super Hero MMO. It could be DCUO 2 or could be something different. If it's not DCUO in some ways I can see why, I'm sure dealing with DC isn't easy on what they are allow and not allow to put out or allow us players to have.
    • Like x 3
  16. DCUO Post Loyal Player

The real question is, do you want this studio to produce a sequel to DCUO?

Given with the studio's track record, I rather have another studio with the resources licensed to create a DC MMO. Don't get me wrong, the team has done a good job with the limited resources they have. Love the new art direction they're going with. I just think another studio could take a crack at it.
    • Like x 3
  17. Trexlight Devoted Player

DCUO 2? We are on DCUO 38 right now. No need to go back to Lightning Strikes.

But seriously, a DCUO 2 wont be the answer. DCUO follows the trails of traditional MMO structures. Destiny and Division may have sequels but thats because they arent tradition MMORPGs. They are a mix of MMO and disc based where they want to pop out a new Numbered title every so often. With Destiny finally realizing what they are, i suspect they wont be creating a Destiny 3 because you can just add on to the product rather than create something new. DCUO's Episodes can also be classified as DLC rather than Expansions IMO because of the scale of the content. Its not a knock on them either but in terms of Expansions you can see WoW where they spend a year+ on creating the next Story for their game. DCUO may spend the same time or shorter but it shows how much work is done when it comes to creating content and the scale of it too.

As Mepps said, creating DCUO 2 and even updating to the next Unreal Engine would consist of no DLC Content for at least a year while they work on that because its essentially making a new game and currently, the game cannot exist without content for a year or longer.
    • Like x 4
  18. Magnificent Loyal Player

We don't need a DCUO 2, what we need is more akin to a DCUO 1.5. It would be more like a mandatory expansion rather than a whole new game.

To me, ideally it would look like:
    1. Migration to Unreal 4
    ----a. This could well mean more content per DLC as the Dungeon Builder in Unreal 4 lets you load your meshes and then can auto-create an entire dungeon/zone in just minutes.
    ----b. Possibly making some voxel-based zones?
    ----c. Possible ability to personalize power and movement mode colors and effects? (see: City of Heroes: Homecoming)
    2. More high-res graphics
    3. Adding more Legends (also Legends match locations)
    4. Resetting PVP
    ----a. Bring back R/P/S
    ----b. Remove everything from buffing in players in PVP arenas (this means only gear and SP would buff a player, no orbitals, no lair buffs, no league buffs, no seasonal rewards buffs, etc).
    ----c. Find the powerset you find to be the most balanced in DPS then balance other DPS powersets to match. Rinse and repeat for Roles.
    ----d. Drop the prices on higher-end gear until PVP picks up more.
    5. Random, spontaneous events (see: original City of Heroes and the random Rikti invasion attempts).
    6. Methods to increase speed, maneuverability, of travel powers.
    7. Player-made missions (again: City of Heroes). This could also give a special title, aura, whatever to those who make storylines so good that DCUO makes them official (and possibly gives Freemium access to them).
    8. Movement from the current small storylines of the DLCs where the player feels like just another person in the game to longer and more involved storylines that make the player feel like their character actually matters to the game world (again: CoH).
    9. Monetize the game by selling real-world ads for the sandbox world billboards.
    ----a. Sell 1, 3 or 6-month packages. This would give plenty of lead time for companies to get their artwork in as well as plenty of time to have it converted for in-game use.
    ----b. Test the efficacy by offering deals found only on the in-game ads.
    10. Set up a voluntary GM program (see: EQ) to help police the game from the near-constant TOS violations of cash spammers, speed hackers, etc.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.
  19. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

I blame both the community and devs for time capsules (past post would prove that) but yea I mention time capsules in a thread about dcuo 2 because the devs could honestly sell each item locked behind the wall of rng known as time capsules but they won't. Why? Because it sells. The community mask opening hundreds of capsules as supporting the game.... No your supporting greed and a obsession for having the newest style. So what'll happen in dcuo 2? Same old song and I'm not here for it....I'm barely here now.
    • Like x 1
  20. TheBatmanFanBG Well-Known Player

Because we don't need DCUO 2!

There are few things that can be added to the game and these are my suggestions:
    - Fixing the bugs that already exist in the game
    - Fixing PvP and regularly add new PvP gear just like they do for PvE
    - Refresh all classic hairstyles
    - Refresh all classic costume sets
    - Refresh all classic skins and add new ones
    - Add new Legends characters to the game (Like Gorilla Grodd and Poison Ivy)