Why did the subscription price quadruple during this quarantine?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by UnbreakableII, Apr 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Wow Canadians like myself went from the usual price 15.00 a month subscription to 19 something a few years ago after Sony factored in the exchange rates but that Brazilian increase sounds rough. Sorry to hear
  2. StealthBlue Loyal Player

All I can guess is that someone noticed conversion rates haven't been updated in a while and realized they were losing money. So they updated the exchange rates and may now update them more frequently. No one in the business side would look at this and say "oops, we were accident charging she people a third of the price for or service, less continue to eat a loss on those customers while we showed increase their price to what it should be".

You mentioned you are using steam. So basically, steam was charging you $4.50 and paying daybreak $15 for your membership. Since they noticed the issue, they've corrected it so that they are no longer losing money on your subscription. At least they aren't trying to back charge you for their mistake of not keeping up with exchange rates.
  3. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

Yes Dominic, in a simplistic comparison, the increase we had in Brazil would be the equivalent of you from Canada going from $ 15,00 to $ 85,00 ...
    From night to day.
  4. inferno Loyal Player

I would have loved to pay $5.00 a month for this game these last 9 years. I do think you were all extremely lucky to have gotten that rate all this time. Likely Dcuo will loose a lot of Brazilian customers because I don't think you will get that price back same as Canadians lost their unintended discount.
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

So is this only through Steam or is it affecting all Brazilian PC accounts?
  6. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

He can't help it if the value of R has crashed because of the turmoil in Brazil, but didn't crash that way in Canada. his point still applies, because its based on having to pay more now because of the exchange rate. so not night and day. you just live in a country that is floundering economically since your new president took office. And that's not me trying to be political. that's a fact.
    • Like x 2
  7. powermena New Player

So saddenss this...
    Dont increase thia way...
    Everyone player want stay play this game..
    # Update the value as the country economic
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

Those of us in the US are probably going to face something like this, trying to figure out how to pay subs in toilet paper or shiny rocks...
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

$23R is about $4.18USD per month, obviously this shouldn't be your subscription price because everyone else is paying $15USD per month or approximately $82.58R

The increase to approximately $83R is therefore perfectly justifiable because that's the actual price of the subscription everyone else is paying, that is a direct price correction nothing else. It's an approximate 260% increase because for however long this has been going on you've been paying 260% less than everyone else.

The new price is the correct price and numerous players, including myself, outside of the United States pay a significant price for currency conversion, it just is what it is.

They should've communicated the increase with you, it sucks but they're not really going to make a gradual increase either, they're just going to outright correct it.
    • Like x 2
  10. Wallachia Devoted Player

Pode sim, e eu vou explicar.

Não existe preço oficial para a assinatura no Brasil. O que temos é simplesmente o preço convertido pra real, meramente. O preço real não mudou, mas o nosso muda por conta da variação da moeda em relação à nossa. O dólar sobe? O preço sobe. Os desenvolvedores não tem nada com isso, por incrível que pareça.

E pode esperar que o preço vai continuar subindo.
  11. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

The price in Toilet Paper depends if you pay using 1 ply... 2 ply.... or 3 ply. ;)
    • Like x 3
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Who doesn't enjoy a good 1 ply that tears in use ;) it's an experience that's priceless, so that's clearly worth the most
    • Like x 1
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We checked into this. The currency conversion/price for Brazil had not been updated in a very long time. It was updated recently just as routine. We do this to keep cost about the same everywhere.

It's not what you want to hear, but the price you had been paying was basically at a 70% discount, all the time, which is pretty clearly not intended. I'm sure it was nice while it lasted, though!
    • Like x 5
  14. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

This is a forum that uses English as language in respect for others please speak in the native language forum.

I'll translate you:

Yes, you can, and I'll explain.
    Can what? I didn't ask anyone if I could do anything. I just recounted a situation of huge and sudden increase.
    There is no official price for the subscription in Brazil. What we have is simply the price converted to real, merely. The real price has not changed, but ours changes due to the currency variation in relation to ours. Does the dollar go up? The price goes up.
    Well, you should know that this part is not true, there was never any price variation, it never went up and down according to any fluctuation or rate, the value has been stable for years, regardless of how much the dollar is here.
    The developers have nothing to do with it, oddly enough.

And you can expect the price to keep going up.

So creating a story about a variation that never existed and making up a story does nothing to help you understand that topic.
    Obrigado.
    • Like x 1
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

So you are saying that the dollar is NOT going up compared to BRL and that we don`t pay the difference as well as IOF taxes when we buy anything in dollar simply because you said so?

I get it. You deny reality, have no idea how things work and is being just petty. I better block you before your disease spreads to me.
  16. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

No, Wallachia, I am saying that, if you have always paid for the subscription, you realize that, regardless of how much the dollar has changed in recent years, the value in reais of the subscription has always been maintained.
    From the way you put it, it was understood that it was always a variable amount and that we always pay different amounts, this is not true.
    The amount paid was R$ 24.99 and remained unchanged, regardless of how much the dollar was worth, if R$ 3.00 reais per dollar, if R$ 4.00 per dollar, if R$ 4.50 , the value remained at R$ 24.99, so there is no such thing as "but ours changes due to the currency variation in relation to ours. Does the dollar go up? The price goes up."
    This has never really affected any year.
  17. Ariel New Player

foi bom mesmo, a deus
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

What Mepps said is that you've been incredibly lucky for years that you've been getting a 70% discount on membership compared to what everyone else in the world has been paying for those same many years. Nobody denied that you've had a stable discount for years.

Be grateful for all those years. But you can't reasonably claim that it's unfair to be deprived of what you're used to from your many years of accidental, unintended money-saving. I'm certainly sorry it's harder on y'all now, but nobody around here is responsible for international monetary exchange rates.
    • Like x 6
  19. dresserball Dedicated Player

What the Heck are you talking about with the language being English? I don't remember anything being mentioned as that. Please can you direct me to that spot so I can check it out?
  20. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

Could you please show me where you saw any official announcement from Mepps or any other from Staff talking about this subject?
    I'm here just trying to get answers from moderators, administrators or another representative of Daybreak games.
    I am grateful if there is something somewhere that I was not able to find or that I accidentally missed.

Forget, i saw now, thank you for the advice.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.