Why did the subscription price quadruple during this quarantine?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by UnbreakableII, Apr 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

The amount paid monthly for the subscription for Brazilian players in the game was R$ 24.99 on the PC, it was paid for years, values ​​for PC players, this month of quarantine we, PC players, saw this value rise to unreal R$ 85.94 !!!!!
    This represents an increase of R$ 60.95 or a jump of 243% !!!!
    I would like to know why just now there was this absurd increase in value and I want to take the opportunity to record how unsustainable this increase is for the player in Brazil, our economic reality is different, for us Time Capsules, Market Place items and other addenda are expensive , 1 US dollar is the same as R $ 5.00 in Brazil and our average salary is less than half that of the USA, so paying R$ 85.94 in a game subscription would be the equivalent of you charging in the US about US $ 465.00.
    This does not seem to be an even reasonable value.

Let me make it very clear, I don't want any doubts in this translation:
    The value until last month was R$ 24.00, today R$ 85.00, it increased like that out of nowhere, during the month of the pandemic where more people could subscribe and went to a unrealistic value for the economic reality of virtually all players.
    The value of a month today is greater than the amount paid for 6 months 1 month ago.
    I have no words to describe the frustration that it is to see this increase, especially at the current moment, although almost 250% increase cannot be justified, no matter the moment.
    Obrigado.
    • Like x 6
  2. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

My GUESS would be that it has to do with currency exchange rates. But, and I can't stress this enough, I'm unaware of Brazil or any South American country being a place where the game is officially available. For those of us IN countries where it's officially offered, our rates have NOT changed as far as I can tell.
    • Like x 1
  3. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Well damn that's a increase.
  4. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

If this type of collection and increases were something normal I would also look at the exchange rates, but understand, I've been playing since 2012, I've paid since 2012 and the amount was never high, the amount charged in a monthly payment was very reasonable, just like 99% of online games that use subscription, so it’s not the case.
    Realize that the monthly value went from 25 to 85!
    Imagine an increase in this proportion even in dollars, you paid 25 last month and today you pay 85, what kind of exchange rate increase justifies this?
  5. Al Bundy Well-Known Player

1 Brazilian Real equals
    0.18 United States Dollar
    • Like x 1
  6. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

I understood your calculation, but still U$ 1.00 is equal to R$ 5.40, but the amount paid in Brazilian Reais has never taken into account this quotation, the amount paid until last month was R$ 24.99, even if for some reason there was a conversion from now on the price would not increase so much.

I have emails with confirmation of monthly payment since 2014 to prove that the quote made no difference, the value was this R$ 24.00, now it is on the site for R$ 85.94. And believe me, this value is illogical
  7. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Got to pay extra for the lag.
    • Like x 2
  8. Elusian Crowd Control

According to the exchange rate. The brasilian real has been quintupled over the past years. Especially the past months were bad and I assume its an adjustment to those heavy changes as it seemed they tried to keep the prices as low as long as possible but because of the most recent changes they couldnt keep that anymore without actually paying you for playing.
    • Like x 2
  9. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Here's the current US Subscription Rates as of the time of posting:

[IMG]

Based on the exchange rate above, our current month-to-month subscription fee of $14.99 becomes roughly $83.34 in Brazilian Reals, and clearly, that's been rounded up to $85.00 Reals.

I do not know if you had access to it when offered, or if you could have afforded it at the time, but you would have benefited substantially from the Lifetime Membership that was offered at the end of 2018. You would have paid one time based on the rates in effect at that time for the Lifetime Membership (I believe it was $300.00 US, but don't quote me on that,) and then you wouldn't have to pay again EVER. Then you wouldn't have been hit with this price increase.

Unfortunately, Daybreak Games is not responsible for the negative effects of a country's economy going down the toilet. I'm sure there is basically nothing they can do. :(
    • Like x 2
  10. Wildcat Committed Player

Can You try to buy a sub by steam? Maybe the price will be less ;)
    or switch the country to make a transaction.

Im a beta player from europe and I totally understand You, I needed to pay more too. (well, now I pay a little more too..)
    I remember some good times when Pro7 Sat Games was the "owner" of the game in Europe, we were able to buy game cash and sub by sms :D (there was sooo many payment options).

Now looks like Daybreak dont want to have more cash, no promotions, no any marketing stuff - they are like those old grandpas in an old bank. (Gringott goblins :D)
  11. Schimaera Devoted Player

Your math is off. If DBG calculates revenue in us dollars, how does it cause them to make less money if they adapt to exchange rates to currencies that are weaker than the dollar price rn?

If I sell X for 4 Plumbuses, which equals to 2 dollars because I need 2 dollars to keep selling x, then I need to require more Plumbuses in exchange when suddenly the value of one Plumbus is only 0,25$, right?

So basically don't want to have less cash.
  12. Wildcat Committed Player

Can You please read a full post before making a post?
  13. Schimaera Devoted Player

I did and if I missed something that was in context I am really sorry and would like to ask you to point it out. So far I don't see any connections between what you've said before and what I've quoted. :-/

On an unrelated note, which country in europe did have to pay more? Or was it one outside the EU?
    • Like x 1
  14. StealthBlue Loyal Player

It just looks like you were "caught" by the same "issue" Canadian players had recently, local prices finally being updated to reflect current exchange rates. I did some searching online and found an exchange rate in 2011 that equate to ~R$25 for membership. So you've essentially been getting an unintentional discount for years due to lack of updates to account for changes in the exchange rate. While we in the US have been paying $15 a month, you have basically only been paying as little as $4.50. Just be glad that you had that unintended discount as long as you did.

As I've mentioned in other threads, even at $15 (so R$85), the membership more than pays for itself. The reply badges, 500 loyalty points /daybreak cash, and additional stabilizers you can earn in a month cost as much as the monthly membership. Also, as a PC players you have access to other daybreak games that share the subscription and have similar benefits within then as well.
    • Like x 2
  15. altamirpaim13 New Player

I hope they look at us and help us. it is increasingly difficult for us Brazilians to play this game with the high dollar.
    • Like x 2
  16. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Honestly, it has become increasingly difficult for anyone outside of the USA. Those bloody exchange rates...
    • Like x 3
  17. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

First, the US $ 14.99 per month must be converted to R$ 80, 93 and not 83, but you still lost an important aspect: the dollar always had a price of about 4 to 5 reais, I had access to the lifetime member , it was extraordinarily expensive, it came close to R$ 1,000.00, but that is not the point, understand, even with 1 dollar worth 4 reais still the amount paid was R$ 25.00. The conversion was almost straightforward and the amount absolutely within the amount charged for almost all online games that exist.
    When the dollar was worth R$ 3.00, I and no one else here in Brazil paid R$ 50.00 or R$ 60.00. I have emails with confirmation of payment for signatures from 2013 or 2014 here, in all the amount was like this, this increase is simply inexplicable.
    As I explained before, I have been a subscriber since 2012 and the value, from yesterday to today, rose 243%. It is not feasible for 99% of Brazilian players to continue with this value.
    It is important to say that the PSN (playstation) game did not increase in value.
    • Like x 1
  18. StealthBlue Loyal Player

You need to look at current exchange rates https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=15&From=USD&To=BRL

The psn side is just behind, but will likely also be updated to reflect today's exchange rate instead of the exchange rate from 9 years ago.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ryazan Dedicated Player

We all can agree it would just be better if the price of the US dollar went down, oh I wish...
  20. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

StealthBlue I know the exchange rates, the question is where did these changes come from and why the rates had never been used.
    Using Steam payment there was never this, the Steam price for PC was almost half the price of PSN.
    That's what I paid until March 2020, that's what was always paid, an amount corresponding to an almost direct conversion.
    If there was a change in the way of charging, or an adjustment, I understand it, but wouldn't it be the case to make a gradual adjustment instead of throwing a 243% increase from one day to the next?
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.