Nature DOT's and HOT's

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Tabby Belle, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Tabby Belle Well-Known Player

I'm trying to learn how to play Nature, and using my browser's Find tool in the Oracle's Database section didn't get a hit until Page 5. That Nature guide is like super old, and references stuff before the current system of stats and powers. I also noticed that it says that Cross-Pollination does 39 HOT ticks, but when I tried to test it, I only counted 12... so I'm pretty sure that guide is out of date.

Can someone tell me how Nature's DOT's and HOT's work? I watched ObChi's video, but that just gives specs, loadouts, and rotations. Like do the DOTs/HOTs each apply their own independent Poison/Pheromone ticks, or just reset a timer? The ability descriptions say things like "employ, expend, refreshes, releases, spreads," and it's confusing to me.

It'd be much easier to understand if things were in more plain/detailed form. For example: Applies Poison to targeted enemy, and does damage over time each second for 12 seconds. If another ability has already Poisoned the target, the 12 second time is reset (or it could say "the effects stack" if the ability applies its own DOT).

Anyway, if anyone has the time and knowledge, please guide me through how Nature's effects work (or link me to a current and detailed guide)?
  2. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

Nature has three Poison abilities: Briar, Serpent Call and Vine Lash.
    Each of them applies Poison PI and their own Poison Stack (DOT) which lasts 12 seconds (and does 12 ticks of damage, I think). You can use Harvest or Thorn Burst to refresh and spread Poison stacks on enemies.
    So theoretically you can use those three abilities only once and then continuously reset them with Harvest or Thorn Burst.

For example, you hit a single enemy with your three poison abilities. An enemy now has three independent DOTs on him, each will expire in 12 seconds from the moment of casting. Before they expire, you hit Harvest on him. Now your DOTs are resetted and will last 12 seconds more until refreshed again.
    A second enemy jumps in. Without using any poison ability and while first enemy still has DOTs, you hit Harvest again. Now a second enemy also has all three DOTs on him, spread to him from the first one.

Same goes with healing.
    Healers have four Pheromone abilities: Metabolism, Savage Growth, Cross Pollination and Bloom.
    Each gives a HOT that also lasts 12 seconds. You can apply maximum four stacks of Pheromones to your teammates and then constantly refresh and spread it with Flourish, in theory making it everlasting HOT.

Releasing Poison is applying DOT stack and poison PI. Releasing Pheromones is applying HOT stack.
    Refresh is basically resetting timer of your dots/hots. Spread means applying already existing stacks to all nearby enemies (or allies if healing).
    Simply said, playing Nature means constantly applying your DOTs/HOTs and resetting them, using burst abilities in between.

I hope it makes sense :oops: I'm not an expert Nature player.
    • Like x 3
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

What Dragonnes said with a correction to HoTs. The ticks from Savage Growth and Bloom do not stack, they will overwrite each other and therefore should never be used in the same loadout.
    • Like x 4
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Ok so let’s first talk about the DoTs. As nature you have 3 different poisons.

Serpent call: hits multi targets and leaves a poisons only all targets
    Briar: hits multi target but only leaves a poison on the primary targef
    Vine lash: hits one target and leaves a poison on the target hit.

All poisons last 12 seconds dealing one tick of damage every second. You can refresh each all poisons that are active and spread then to new targets near the target you are locked onto by using harvest and thorn burst. Thorn burst is a melee ability than does a burst of damage and will refresh the poison on all targets hit and spread them to new targets that don’t have them as long as they are within range. Harvest does the same thing but is ranged. These are important especially for boss fights (harvest) so that you don’t have to waste time activating your poisons one by one. This means for casting 1 ability you refresh 3 abilities. Since poisons last 12 seconds ideally you want to refresh them every 10-11 seconds but depending on your loadout and rotation you will usually refresh them around every 6 seconds.

Generally speaking, because poisons take so long to set up, you will usually only set them up on high health adds like in elite or in new dlcs (when adds out gear you). When adds die fast you will loose a lot of damage by setting up 3 poisons. There are other rotations ready for that. Typically you would set up serpent call and go into your other rotations without using your other 2 poisons or harvest/thorn burst.

Now for the HoT. While in healer role you have 4 DIFFERENT pheromones. Each ability that I will list has its own healing as well as a pheromone. So technically they have 2 different heals each.
    Savage growth: leaves a HoT that last (I think, cant remember if the top of my head) 6 seconds. And leaves a pheromone that last 12 seconds.
    Metabolism: does a lot of fast healing ticks that last for I think 3-6 seconds (against cant remember of the top of my head). And leaves a pheromone that last 12 seconds.
    Cross pollination: does a lot of small healing ticks. This ability works the same as electric galvanize I’m that the more allies within range the more healing strength and larger range it has. It also leaves a pheromone.
    Bloom: (or blossom, I always get those 2 mixed up) is a channeling HoT. It will continue to heal for the duration of the channel. It also leaves a pheromone that last 12 seconds
    Flourish: does a burst heal and it refreshes and spreads pheromones to new allies. It also leaves a pheromone that last 12 seconds.

Now, I said that there are 4 different pheromones but I listed 5. That is because bloom (or blossom) does not stack with I think metabolism (can’t remember if that the one of the top of my head). So at any given moment you can only have 4 pheromones. Pheromones are tiny HoT that can be refreshed and spread just like poisons. Thou keep in mind that flourish will only refresh the pheromones and not the primary heals of abilities. So for example, flourish will not refresh the HoT from savage growth, just the pheromone. The pheromones on themselves are small but refreshing them is not a bad thing since they can keep people topped off which means you can keep your other abilities ready for when you need the bigger heals. Each pheromone tick also counts towards your strategist card if you choose to use it. Unlike poisons that disappears when the targets die, pheromones can be kept up for the duration of the instance, as long as there are no cutscenes longer than 12 seconds. You can always set them up prior to a fight and have the cooldowns of your other abilities reset for the actual fight.
    • Like x 2
  5. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

Huh. That's interesting, didn't know it. So healers can only have maximum three stacks as well.
    Wish it was mentioned in the abilities' descriptions :oops:
    • Like x 1
  6. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

Actually, I went to Doomed Metropolis on test server to check some things out and it turns out Flourish does indeed apply Pheromones. :eek: Why is stuff like this never properly written :oops:

[IMG]

Okay, so that leaves Nature with 5 pheromone abilities, out of which only 4 can be used simultaneously (Bloom isn't compatible with Savage Growth). Each ability has its own little healing and applies a pheromone for 12 seconds, 1 tick per second.
    [IMG]
    (don't look at the numbers, my character isn't heal-specced).
    • Like x 1
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Yup pretty much. It’s always been weird that you couldn’t have all five seeing how the heals are tiny.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well before the revamp Bloom couldn't stack with CP, and Flourish didn't exist. So it's always been three max. Harvest was also a priority heal substitute for Blossom because Blossom would strip Pheromones.
    • Like x 1
  9. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Ahhh I see. Good to know
  10. AutoBot Rage Active Player

So to clarify Savage Growth and Metabolism don't stack together if they are used at the same time? I can't remember who mentioned that they didn't in another thread.
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Savage Growth and Bloom do not stack.
  12. AutoBot Rage Active Player

Thx Lorax appreciate the answer :)
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Btw, to the op. Did that answer your questions or is there anything else you’d like clarification on?
  14. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Oh look another new nature player. Smh
  15. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Sorry that someone’s else’s preference is affecting that much that you had to come out here and tell us your discomfort
    • Like x 4
  16. Chia Death Well-Known Player

Shaking their head is what made the difference.
  17. gemii Dedicated Player

Lol a lot are jumping the prec ship to the nature ship now that they know what nature is capable of. I like it though it brings a little more diversity into elite content
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Nature is has been my main for the longest along with prec even before all these meta changes. My main is currently nature prec lol.
    • Like x 1
  19. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

It's capable of having a list of broken and unbalanced abilities that have skirted adjustment and having the dev's design content making Nature the clear and blatantly obvious choice for damage.
    • Like x 1
  20. gemii Dedicated Player

Yeah I agree but it’s still a breath of fresh air than seeing jumping jack flurry shots everytime lol. I’m sure the more exposure it gets the more the complaints start rolling in and then eventually nature will be looked at. When will it actually happen though? who knows I wouldn’t expect it anytime soon Honestly