Dev Discussion New Combat Parser

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

New Retro Combat Parser
    • Added a new Combat Parser
    • Upgraded and simplified how data is displayed
    • Activates via a trinket

For a long time, we have been looking to upgrade something we feel both developers and players have wanted: a better in-game Combat Parser! Because we're an action MMO, it gets tricky and heavy on data when we try to capture and provide all of the information that someone digging deeply into combat would want to see.

With that in mind, we decided to go more "retro" MMO with the new parser - as in, show everything that matters - but so as not to overwhelm the client (or anyone not that interested), we will limit the time the parser remains active. Further, to make it more accessible, we have implemented it as a trinket item. Activate the trinket, and the new parser will be active for about five minutes.

Beyond getting the data, we have also worked to refine and in some cases simplify how the data gets displayed, both moment to moment and in the full log.

We look forward to your feedback on the parser as we continue to iterate, and we look forward to your more informed feedback on everything else combat. Enjoy!
    • Like x 8
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This will be live after server restarts tomorrow.

Known Issues:
    • Detective Chimp does not appear every time you deal a critical attack.
    • Daily Planet NPC named Clark Kent displays as Superman for some reason in the combat parser log.
    • Data on parser is sometimes trampled by a stampede of Unicorns called Trinket.
    • Investigating reports that the parser may be under threat or need protection.
    • Like x 2
  3. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Will this be an option in Gameplay settings or is this a replacement to the current combat parser system? If this is just a feature we can toggle on and off and still keep the current 10s-30s-60s parser format and the log write that is fine but if it replaces the current system that will have alot of consequences. A 5min window combat window that needs to be activated is not enough of a duration especially when comparing raid instance runs and having to flip to a trinket mid-raid to activate and then equipping a normal trinket is not something alot of players will want to do. The game logs in the current form I can simply either delete the log or copy and paste the the raid section I need into the https://dcuolog.com/ and have the entire raid or instance in front of me for direct comparison.

I sincerely hope this new combat parser doesn't change how it was previously recorded as that will only be a complete detrimental change to the testing community.
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The existing combat parser won't be different unless you have the new one activated.
    • Like x 2
  5. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

April fools guys! Got to come better than that Mepps!:)
    • Like x 3
  6. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

This should be interesting.
  7. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

The parser has never looked better, with the graphic overhaul and the more intuitive method of providing information. Well done devs, but why does it expire after 7 days?
    • Like x 3
  8. Eve YouTuber

Best April Fools so far :D
    • Like x 3
  9. Luke© Well-Known Player

Why does it expire in 7 days? :(
    Would love to keep it longer
    • Like x 2
  10. Elusian Crowd Control

Yeah WHY?!?!?! :(

Huge fan of the 60s Batman series here and I want this to be permanent. Who do I have to pay for? =D
    • Like x 3
  11. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

I notice certain classic onomatopoeia like 'POW!' and the like aren't among the ones used. Are they copyright or something like that?

I also wondered about the 7 day expiry note. Does that mean the trinket disappears after 7 days once claimed, or that you have 7 days to log in to each character and claim it?
  12. Batuba Developer

Hey Mepps,

I think I've discovered the following bugs with the Retro Combat Parser:
    • Detective Chimp does not appear every time you deal a critical attack.
    • Daily Planet NPC named Clark Kent displays as Superman for some reason in the combat parser log.
    I'm sure there are plenty more bugs to report that players or developers will find.
    -Batuba
    • Like x 5
  13. Eve YouTuber

This needs to be fixed asap ;) SECRET IDENTITY CRISIS
    • Like x 1
  14. Belthazur Dedicated Player

Please Consider Leaving this Trinket in game and Removing the 7 Day Expiration.
    This is just Tooo Much Fun. :D
    • Like x 1
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

(We went with the 7 day limit due to how intrusive and trolly use of the trinket might become.)
    • Like x 6
  16. Belthazur Dedicated Player

:(
    • Like x 1
  17. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

[IMG]

Uh excuse me??

You guys are expiring a perfectly good item because you think it's Trolley?

You guys made the powerset beach balls in the resurgence capsules; those were available longer than 7 days and if you had it you kept it forever. Those were somewhat trolley and fun.

You guys made an infinite time capsule to fill up our inventory, that too can be considered trolley.

And finally, do I need to remind you that you had several ventures that involved you spawning Brainiacs in the watchtower that were obviously too high of a CR to defeat unless you had everyone assembled at once? That too is a fun type of trolley.

You sir, you have too much of a fun past that involved making and literally messing with us to send this buzzkill of a message. Please reconsider.. extend the CD of this trinket if need-be, but don't remove it.
    • Like x 7
  18. Project Mother Box New Player

AN UPROAR OF APPLAUSE.
    • Like x 2
  19. Project Mother Box New Player

LOL.
    • Like x 1
  20. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

The only thing "trolly" about the retro parser is the fact that you want to remove it in 7 days.
    • Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.