Trailblazing Guide to Fire

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Soulburn32, Feb 16, 2013.

1. BrandonB Well-Known Player

Has anyone got to try any of the new artifacts on test? Just curious if there's any boost in single target with the new pet artifact paired with the Grim, while using Robot Side Kick, or is it just mainly for the powers that have actual pets, like Sorcery and Earth.
  2. L T Devoted Player

The Shard artifact is really good, but I've been testing it mainly with Sorcery and Earth (for obvious reasons). Let me know if there's a Fire rotation you'd like me to check it out with.

The Everyman artifact is absolutely amazing for Fire. Fire tanking is generally overbuffed on the test server right now though. I'm not expecting it to go live this way.
  3. Psyfur Well-Known Player

Have you tried fire tanking elite content yet or soloing a bounty on the test server? I have concerns about Immolation.
  4. BrandonB Well-Known Player

Really? Based on what I've read in the test threads, They're saying it's an improvement, but it's still lacking. I don't want it to be overpowered by any means, but definitely think it needs a healthy boost.
  5. L T Devoted Player

It's hard to get groups together on the test server to actually test, so just open world bounties. With artifacts in the 120-160 range, I felt like I could self-heal my way out of most fights.
    I'm not sure the people posting in that thread are actually on the test server testing. Fire has definitely gotten a very healthy boost. Combined with the new Everyman artifact, Fire feels extremely strong to me.
  6. Cyro Committed Player

Fire has always done well when the damage we receive isnt that high. I was doing USE the other night and i noticed that the earth tank cant survive without the healer but i can, as long as the damage isnt too high we are one of the best tanks, once the damage gets into elite range - well thats a different story. Having tanked elite with every tank on test(mind you im not an ice or atomic tank so i wasnt perfect with them) i could tell that while fire has improved but it isnt as good as other powers. Earth and rage i had no trouble with and felt really strong and when you compare fire with those two it comes up lacking. Personally i think we should get healing boast to stoke and burning det. If batuba says that would cause fire to be too strong however i think reducing the strength of Absorb heat and backdraft and giving it to our two hots would better serve fire and help it be less bouncy.

L T if you ever feel like testing hit me up, i'm a huge fan of your tanks guides and would love to test with you
  7. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I can read this. o_O
  8. Psyfur Well-Known Player

If you have time, I hope you wouldn’t mind going to Doomed Metropolis and testing in a spore cloud without any artifacts. I hate asking for favors like this. I just don’t have a pc at home.
  9. Cyro Committed Player

I know ;p. Im not talking about one shots i mean if the healers were out you would have a much harder time surviving than i would. When it was just lily and myself i didnt even notice we didnt have a healer because i could just heal myself up but an earth tank cant do that which is the point i was getting at. In content that doesnt do much damage fire tanks dont need a healer but other tanks that are stronger like earth still do
  10. L T Devoted Player

Spike damage is still a problem for Fire, even with the changes. I wasn't completely invulnerable, but against open world bosses from the last few episodes Fire felt very capable.

I didn't take my artifacts off, but I took a CR281 fire toon who was actually specced for Dom instead of Health and had no problem staying alive in the spore cloud as long as there were adds around. I couldn't last too long against doomsday or Bizarro when standing in the spore cloud, but as long as I had something to build hits on and occasionally throw absorb heat at, I was in no danger of dying from just the spore.
  11. Psyfur Well-Known Player

Thank you for the feedback! I’m starting to feel a bit more optimistic of how fire tanking will be once it hits live servers. You’re freaking awesome and very supportive of this community! Thanks again for the feedback!
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s why the only change I want for fire is to remove the burning determination hit cap removed lol. I actually think fire is in a good spot. I love the new immolation and I might be in the unpopular opinion here but I don’t think stoke flame needs a buff. My issue with burning determination is that when there are a lot of adds or when adds use multi hit combos they can burn your Burning d ticks fast even when not needed which means the ability becomes useless at times.
  13. BrandonB Well-Known Player

Sorry, mean to respond to this sooner. I don't really know if I have a solid rotation to try, but I figured that since you can essentially get away with Heat Vision, Absorb Heat, and Snuff Out in single target applications, can you throw Godwave into the mix, since that leaves a lot of room in your ability tray? Just going through these three powers, and then hitting the Godwave ability when it's up is what I was thinking. That being paired with the Grim and having Robot Sidekick going.
  14. L T Devoted Player

Godwave wound up being a single target win for Fire, by about 0.3-0,5k per second depending on whether I had Inferno going or saved the extra slot for Fireball Barrage. For Might artifacts, I was using Solar Amp, Strategist, Grim, and I swapped strategist for Shard to compare with Pets.

Moving to three targets, Robot Sidekick and Godwave was a 5-6k dps loss though.
    • Like x 1
  15. BrandonB Well-Known Player

Nice, thanks for that. I'm guessing the Transformation Card has no effect on Godwave and if it crits or not.
  16. AV Loyal Player

Strategist being one of the worst ST artifacts but by far the best AoE artifact is a big part of why you're getting those results.
  17. L T Devoted Player

I was too lazy to go back to the watchtower, and just used what I had leveled. Most of the artifacts are pretty well balanced actually.

Nope. Pets can't crit.
  18. AV Loyal Player

Yeh, but situationally. At the low end of the power dps spectrum we can use most artis interchangeably without a huge difference just because their stat performance is low enough that non-stat factors can catch up (but only raw, once we start factoring in stat/damage buffs, some will still fall behind in actual practice). At the high end (eg light/gadgets/mental vs sparring target or fire) there's about a 5% difference between some artis just because our stat-based performance is stronger. Regardless, I agree that Godwave in aoe isn't likely to do well. Godwave is also decent for ST on fire, only slightly behind BiS with 2 pets and on par with 3-pet comparison (before other buffs and factors come into play that disproportionately benefit non Source Shard rotations).
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Questions for those of you that have been testing the recent changes to Fire tanking:
    I'm currently using a Dom heavy spec with multiple shields ("Poor Man's Ice") on Live. With the new changes coming, in your opinion would a Resto heavy spec with multiple heals be superior? Or would both specs have similar survivability? Would it boil down to a matter of personal preference?

I'm currently setting up a second tank armory to try after the changes go Live but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.
    • Like x 1
  20. Psyfur Well-Known Player

I’m in the same boat. I too would like to know how’s it gonna be. I’m quite happy with poor man’s ice fire tanking, so I’m kinda worried about this change to immolation.