People Who Leave Duos Because of Support Role

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

True but dont be in support if ur not gonna do it
    • Like x 1
  2. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

They think they are managing to do "Support". They're wrong, but they think they are. And if you just leave instead of trying to explain to them what they are doing wrong, how are they ever going to learn? I read the descriptions of each power to figure out which ones benefit from Controller role and how. Then I experimented to see which powers fit my play style best. But I also come from a history of playing support characters in City of Heroes. Which in turn guided my preference for aoe hard control over debuffs which may or may not actually be helping much. Debuffs outside of CoH have always felt underwhelming to me.

With gadgets, I only added a group power restore to my loadout a few months ago. And I've been playing since launch. That power slot use to be a supercharge that provides me with health and power regen, since I was mostly doing solo instances and it could be handy for tough boss fights. Then my main on XB1 hit a tier which has no solo content, and I was forced to do group content. Yeah, waiting around for hours so you can do a single Alert is not particularly fun. But my options were either that, or keep repeating the Central City dailies which I was already bored to hell with. So I tweaked my build a bit to be more group friendly.

Not that I was using the supercharge often to begin with.
  3. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Not my place to teach bud
    • Like x 1
  4. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Who said I do? You can criticize me for being lazy, I will still not go make my alt have a second role. Those who leave a duo because of support role leave the impression, most of the time, that they are just as lazy, that they think they will have to put in extra effort.

It's stabilizer duo, why would someone bother what role your partner is in there? A 3 year old can complete it. The only valid complaint about that specific duo is when someone just stands there like "go get my loot".

Already explained before. The loadout I switch to in duo/solos allow me to use berserk as often as possible with a green Gemini field, it goes faster than if I just switch to dps role. I'm not expecting them to cater to my choice to not play a role I don't have interest in, but I am however criticizing those who desert the instance because of a support role, and those who will even send hate messages about how I should stay away from duos, both give a bad impression, the later much more so.
  5. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I can, but I'm not and did not. I merely quoted your own statement that that's what you were being.
  6. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I repeat..... if you have to wait at any point for health or power regen in a duo as dps you are doing something massively wrong. Also, why aren't you using sodas or supply drops if you're blowing through resources so quickly? You shouldn't be running out of power and health so much that you even have to wait for either of those to be off of cooldown. If you are, then you have the wrong loadout
  7. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

You shouldn't need any vendor gear for any role in a duo. Shields when Hush comes out? Just kill him lol. Unless you stand in the AOEs forever, nothing in the new duo does enough damage that a soda or the barrel won't fix. You guys are making duos sound like they are elite raids here
  8. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Remember, we are talking about duos here lol. Alerts and raids I agree. But some of you are getting pretty carried away here with the dont need dps schtick.
  9. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Group shield for power because Hush drains power? If you are might dps it can be an issue. Queuing it with someone 10 CR above me is a true story. He couldn't stay alive during 2nd boss of Batscape. At one point I grabbed the barrel, smashed it near him and he rolled away. We died twice and he left the duo. No it's not elite content but some people fail at life so here we are.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

On the bright side: Birds of Prey may have a solo instead of a duo. If so, everyone wins.
    • Like x 1
  11. Controller Devoted Player

[IMG]
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Personally I prefer running with a support role. Its one of the only areas of the game I can test things for myself without being interrupted and blocked by other dps' pets and jumping about. About a week or two after a duo goes live its pretty soloable. If I'm on a weak toon I know can't carry a support role or another weak dps it can make for a very frustrating run. In those cases I'd fess up and leave but I would never abandon someone playing their support role if I know I can cover for them. I always figure those max cr dps who get pissy at support roles are too weak to do it.
  13. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Happens to me a ton
    But its sad because i have a loadout thats all dps gear but im in controller role to debuff, and all my sp are in might

But the mission never gets passed the portal
  14. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

So... What I'm getting from the people in favor of "LOL support, play DPS" is that they never do any of the more challenging Duos, and they never do duos unless their CR is at least 10 higher then the minimum/suggested CR. For example they wont even consider queing up for Shadowlands (minimum/suggested CR 70) unless their CR is at least 80, so they can power through anything that might pose even the slightest challenge without having to think about pesky things like "tactics" or "skill". I'm also getting the impression that they can't tell the difference between "unskilled player" and the "support" roles, thus assume that everyone who plays Support has no idea what they are doing. Thus if they see support roles for their Duo partner, they bail immediately. After all, "it's not my job to teach them how to play their chosen role".

Never mind that duos are likely intended as where someone can go to learn how to play their chosen support role in a less do-or-die situation. They are easier then alerts. And since the map is usually not a wide open affair, you don't have everyone going off in multiple different directions. This is a prime chance to teach how to play support if your partner doesn't know what they are doing.

If they are only standing on the ceiling and watching you do all the work, that's a whole other ball of wax. And leaving them may well be justified, assuming it's not going to take another 3 hours to get another attempt at the duo. If it will, and you feel you can solo the duo... Maybe it might be worth kicking the dead weight (assuming you are leader) then continuing on.

Note that this is just my understanding of what people keep claiming. After all, they don't seem to understand that trying to do the duos at the suggested CR is potentially a lot harder then doing so even 10 CR higher then the suggested CR.
  15. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

I have both gear sets, but I usually always play duos as a battle tank. As earth, I’m actually very close to doing the same damage as the dps, AND we get the added benefit of me soaking up the damage while the other guy can stand there and get every combo off stress free. Goes faster usually, despite slightly lower damage output. Same with alerts, running battle tank gives the other players room to breath and do their thing, and my green circles are supercharging them up. Cracks me up the nitwits who think me going dps makes the run go faster. Exact opposite.
  16. Akaiko Well-Known Player

When I'm on my single-role heal/troll/tank alts, occasionally someone has asked if I could switch to dps because they were testing out something (and I've usually "switched" but warned them that I don't have the gear), but usually it just gets run with no-dps.

It doesn't matter to me what role a person uses in a duo. I don't ever ask someone to change their role in a duo.
    • Like x 1
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

In a duo, I prefer to ask if their toon can pat its head and rub its belly at the same time. And if they'd like to dance.
  18. Psyfur Well-Known Player

I love duos with support roles because there’s no pressure to come out on top of the scoreboard. People who skip out on duos were probably looking forward to comparing their damage with another dps. But be that as it may, it still doesn’t excuse desertion without a word.
  19. theAverageGuy Well-Known Player

If I queue in with a support role, I'd finish it. But I'm curious, outside of a rando leaving, does it happen nth time in a row? Outside of maybe getting mildly offended, if it's recent content doesn't the next person come quick anyhow?

If two trollers or two healers queue in together, do you look at each other and both stay & finish as support, or maybe one support actually leaves, because deep down, they want a dps.
    • Like x 1
  20. High Troller Loyal Player

support gear only characters typically have the worst struggle in 1-, 2-, and 4-player content. sure you can link me to some success videos, but let's be honest... why should the community force a support role to dps? unfortunately you're only really wanted in 8-player content. those groups that kick me for only playing support role on a select toon will be greeted with ignore on the whole group. once ignore is fixed, i will no longer be queuing up to encounter these mean player.