Which Dcuo Do you want back exactly?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lord Jareth, Feb 29, 2020.

1. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Because everybody would laugh, just like they do when Lord Of 0 posts it.
    • Like x 6
  2. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

3. Chia Death Well-Known Player

I didn't ask for a selfie.
    • Like x 1
  4. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord saying it with his chest.
    • Like x 1
  5. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

You call that a chest? Now I know you're delusional.
    • Like x 2
  6. Magnificent Loyal Player

I think it's a bit more complicated than "what time frame of the game do you think was best" because the game is actually 3 different games.
    A. The level 1-30 game, including content in the original Gotham and Metropolis zones
    B. The post-30 game
    C. PVP

As part A was meant to be a tutorial, it was pretty much ignored (aside from 2 or 3 things). I've always found this a shame because that dealing one-on-one with your Mentor and working through deep storylines with them made it feel more like your character actually mattered in the game universe.

Parts B & C were always going to be the foci though. While B could be seen as a natural evolution of A, C was always its own creature. As the game has evolved, things added, things tweaked, things taken away, the changes to C have made it unrecognizable to what it was at launch. As those changes to C have pushed people away from that aspect of the game, C has lost developmental focus as well.

This leaves us with just B as being the sole focus of a game that has 3 different aspects and the immersion factor is a weak sister compared to that of part A (its predecessor).

So to answer your question, for me the best time was at Launch up through Episode 6 (Home Turf) because it still felt like all 3 aspects of the game were still being looked at. Having content interacting with the original maps felt more like a natural bridge from A to B while C not only was still getting its own gear, it even had its own DLC (4 - The Last Laugh).
    • Like x 2
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Personally I don't think I'd want any of it back, other than maybe having a seperate server for PVP that's better balanced.

People tend to have a warped view of nostalgia and think previous versions of DCUO prior to updates were more perfect than they were.

I know this is all stemming from the nostalgia trip that was WoW Classic and the like and although its fun to reminisce about what one considers "the good ol' days" it's not always necessarily best to go back to them.
    • Like x 6
  8. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Wasn't he also "The Great One" too trying to be the Dwayne Johnson of the forums? lol.

Edit: It was the people's bad guy username he was underneath, my bad XD.
    • Like x 1
  9. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Yeah, the good old days had the Black Death, leprosy, potato famines, the 100 Years War, and the Inquisition. Good times... :p
    • Like x 1
  10. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

That's him, yes. :)
  11. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

That would be awesome for new players.
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Just what we need.

More things that need a buff...
    • Like x 4
  13. Pop a Trinket dey sweatin Dedicated Player

If I had to choose it’d be early dcuo.

Probably still would t come back but it’d at least be tempting.
  14. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

I like this system, What I don't really like:
    Relevance: Content relevance is killing content! Nobody else does anything about the game, because everything becomes obsolete!
    New players can't make the content, veterans, can't do the exploits, unless they have big leagues! The game is dead! Despite being gigantic in the end it ends up being just two or three contents and the rest becomes garbage!
    Broken evolution: After the revamp the evolution was completely broken! Dividing evolution into “levels” instead of gradually evolving is horrible! You become stronger, but you become weaker !? This doesn't make sense!
    If the fear is that there will be great destruction like in the past, just reduce the difference in the attributes of the armor! Instead of absurdly increasing the numbers, but in the end having no effect, it is better to have a small increase, but one that is really effective!
    May the game be based entirely on attributes, not on these percentages, and a distance of 3 for each Tiar ...
    • Like x 1
  15. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

We need pre gu36 clipping, am, Wm crits, and the current play style, to all be playable. They could bring all these different mechanics back, and you could buy which play style you wanted from the market place (just like power respects). This would bring a taste from every era into the game
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I'm not saying "stop all discussions of bettering DCUO"....what I am saying is that going backwards and reminiscing of what was is not the way to pull this game forward, because as you factually stated, there is lots of room for improvement. It's just that in the entire history of this game they have never gone fully backwards, even when they take old ideas it's always with some very significant differences (like bringing back distinct marks for each episode).

Now you can't apply my words about this onto PvP because there are ways to bring it back without necessarily going backwards there as well. Plus the biggest obstacle to resuscitating PvP (besides lack of proper consensus amongst all) is monetizing it in a way that people can find acceptable while bringing in profits for them. That's why PvP isn't a totally hopeless cause.

And Blue Lantern powers are a pipe dream. Hell, they haven't brought out any new powers nor any sign of any coming. But if people really want to be Blue Lanterns that badly, they can hold their breaths...cause that's the only way that's happening. ;)
    • Like x 1
  17. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

This would bring an unprecedented mess in the game ...
  18. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Not if it’s done correctly
  19. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord asks is this buff enough?
    [IMG]
  20. Here2Help Devoted Player

Whilst I did play the game quite early on, I was young and wasn't playing it seriously so even if I was in theory to enjoy that the most, it wasn't my personal best experience with the game. My actual "career" started when I redownloaded the game on PS4 after a long period of time and got hooked again so I have to look after that time period.

With that in mind, I think the game was at it's best with Amazon Fury Part 2. There was large amount of content and all of it was fun and interesting. Plus it was able to cater to all types of players so the playerbase was healthy. I do remember certain powers being OP at the time (especially Quantum) but I thought other Powers could still compete and I was a Nature DD at the time and had no problems. I also had a personal high with the following DLC (Halls of Power Part 2) with the Granny's Gold Star feat so this whole time period was great for me.

Then the game transitioned to a different DLC format and whilst I still enjoyed my time and had many highs, I personally thought there was never enough consistency with the quality of content. Here and there were some really good pieces (Darkseid's War Factory for example) but there were too many pieces of content that were easy and boring. Balance was also a mess if I remember correctly.
    • Like x 1