Livestream Preview: Oracle's Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

As I've stated multiple times and will continue to as the opportunity arises to. If they did away with the Lootboxes completely, opened a rotating short term section of the marketplace, that has what would have gone into the lootboxes, people can then buy exactly what they want and nothing more with no need to rely on RNG, Duped items or minimal quark rewards. Especially when people can't do math.

Take the Booster bundles for example, I saw a youtuber who opened over 100 of them for the Replay badges, now take into account a BB is 900 DBC and it only gives 150 per BB, and 900 DBC buys 350 Replay Badges, He spent $100 worth of DBC for 15000 Replay Badges when the same amount would have bought him 35000 Replay Badges, If he had bought them directly. This is why the lootbox system in this game is so one sided to the developer. As they say, the house always wins. And lootbox Gambling is always a losing proposition for the player. Yes he got other things, but he specifically said he was after the badges. So he obviously can't maths. Which as far as I'm concerned means the game took advantage of him. He was lured into the Gambling mechanic on the chance of greater rewards he could use or sell and got less than half of the thing he actually wanted for the money spent. Now the youtuber wasn't complaining, but I couldn't help but sit there watching him expound on the things he got from the boxes all the while having clearly said he didn't really want the items just the Replay Badges, and doing the math in my head for what he spent being dumbfounded by the results.

It puts me in mind of one of Warframes earliest monitization items. When Combat Pets were added to the game you were given the option to change the color of the pet via a RNG roulette wheel style color changer, which cost premium currency. If I remember correctly something like $5 per spin of that wheel. 24 hours after it went live the developers noticed someone had spun that color wheel more than 200 times, something they didn't expect and were afraid would become a issue. So they removed that particular monitization mechanic and changed how that system worked completely. Instead selling color pallets for the pets with a range of hues and saturations from which to choose at anytime once bought. Safer and in the end better for the game.

Lootboxes are exactly the same, when you place items in a RNG drop table your letting the players spin a Roulette Wheel and Daybreak seems to not give a damn if someone is dropping multiple hundreds on Bundles or stabilizers in order to get their desired outcome.

The House Always Wins, Especially When The Game Is Rigged From The Start.
    • Like x 4
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

all you guys had to do was not mess up my power...
  3. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Will someone please trade me for the mask i have the shoes... really not tryna open another one
  4. SilkyPawz Bunny

^^All of this, an as I sit here in game in for the past 20 minutes I have seen 6 shouts in Trade chat for Playstation selling the Harley Chroma, NOT a single one since the release of this Time Capsule for PC, that right there tells you 1 Less PC players and the Economy is worse an lower on the PC side. This is Totally ABSURD!
    • Like x 3
  5. Vindex Active Player

It's as if they (DG) now want the PC Server to end/shutdown by server-locking Time Capsule contents. Well congratulations to them (DG). But why was the US PC & US PS even got merged again in the first place a few years ago?
    • Like x 1
  6. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

To me it is starting to feel like they have decided that the easiest way to get rid of gold sellers is to drive away all of their players. No trading cash (even within your own account), no cross-platform trading... What next?
    • Like x 2
  7. inferno Loyal Player

I am not going to comment on this issue and whatever its repercussions. I will only say that Dimensional Ink is now its own company. It may have mostly veteran developers and officers but it is a new company, surviving on its own merits. Right now, literally, you only have ONE asset: DCUO.

Do I really need to stress how the community is watching and judging for every decision you are making right now because we are all trying to grasp what Dimensional Ink will do for our game?

Let's be honest, knowing about the trade restriction everyone should have noted that this will be poorly received. IF it had to be done, could not be avoided, as a new company the real question is: Why did you not warn your customers ahead of time of the change? During the Livestream why weren't you forthcoming with the information, even if only a fraction of the population became aware, you would have done your due diligence.

This trade restriction it's not good. But not warning your player base it makes it all the more bitter. And that bitter taste tends to linger and the impression it creates from a new company lingers longer.
    • Like x 1
  8. hugojheredia Active Player

Why can't you share the content of this capsule with my friends from other platforms !?
    • Like x 2
  9. Chia Death Well-Known Player

Excellent question, almost all of us would like to know. Don't bother asking mepps though- evidently he'll just give a bunch of non-answers and then ignore it.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We effectively removed the feat from the rare chroma today.
    • Like x 9
  11. Aerith Rose Committed Player

Thank you Mepps and DEV team. I appreciate this change was made. Is there any chance we could consider something similar for the neon material in last Time Capsule?
    • Like x 3
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are discussing. Slightly different considerations since it has been out for quite a bit longer.
    • Like x 2
  13. Jafin 10000 Post Club

If it's because of the people who spent a lot of in game or real world money trying to get the Neon Chroma then as someone who spent an exorbitant amount of in-game cash to get it during the lifespan of the TC you have my vote to enable the feat for everyone else. The style is what I was after, not the feat. Feats should never have been attached to ultra rare items in the first place, so I'm happy for the feat to retroactively be modified.
    • Like x 8
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Maybe something to keep in mind when the next Resurgence event comes around? It's not a huge spike, but Resurgence events do bring old capsules (and their contents) back into circulation for a while and the unlocked capsules still need to be opened to get what's inside.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I completely agree with this. Some of us had to jump through financial hoops to obtain this style, the feat was unwanted. The super rich or super lucky kept this item off the broker to extract as much riches as possible from the community.
  16. Walvine Well-Known Player

When the capsule is retired all the feat items will end up in booster gold as same insane quark price as the flaming wings trigon style.
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You mean the Wings of Sin? The Avatar of Sin style.
  18. Walvine Well-Known Player

That's the style .
  19. Engendro Nefasto Well-Known Player

Hi Mepps, is the Luminous Gaze eyes going to the second chance vendor when the new resurgence capsule arrives?
  20. SilkyPawz Bunny

Mepps, question now that you went this cross faction route, there is the issue of not being able to put items in the league bank, I know we can trade or mail items, but putting items in the league bank was easier many league mates did that and now we can't any work around for this?