Ideas to spice up metro/gotham

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FullMetalTitan, Feb 24, 2020.

1. FullMetalTitan Committed Player

Used to be so many ppl out there and it was fun doing lightning strike bounties/obot/mbot with a group back when we were squishies. Maybe make another set of bounties more difficult to give ppl a reason to go there. Most ppl log in and just hang out in the watchtower. What other suggestions y’all got?
    • Like x 1
  2. unitedmeck Well-Known Player

Just up all the bounties and content to end game CR and allow source marks to be obtained. The quantity obtained would have to be significantly lower.
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

The transition happened due to the impact of operations had on open world when they first came out in DLC5 Hand of Fate. They started to instance everything now.

This affected the PC platform too, so not sure if it was the engine or PS3, but now whenever we get a new area its an instance like Central City, Gotham Wasteland, New Genisis, etc. They also skin parts of the main maps too, like Gotham Under Siege. Where they can use the map, but it's still an instance.
  4. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Right, I used to love seeing so many people in open world, it was just a different type of immersion
    • Like x 1
  5. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

that eclipso fight use to be brutal lol ppl would camp and pick him off others missed out on loot etc lol fun times
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

Oh it goes one step further, you didn't even need to attack. You could just be flying by and it would be rewarded to you. lol

From what I understand, that loot problem wasn't the reason it went to instances though. At least that's what they declared at SOE Live.
  7. Solarbound Committed Player

Personally, I would love to see them expand upon open world events on those two maps. Since we're talking about a Superhero/Supervillain MMO, how about some sort of event where a random iconic shows up that you have to help save the city (hero) or to take over the city (villain)? Or, vice versa to put a stop to those engagements.

For instance, Superman shows up to put a stop to Lex Luthor's diabolical plans in Metropolis. All heroes receive an emergency notice to aid Superman in the fight, an arrow shows on the map pointing you in the direction of the exact location, then your faced with the objective to take down Lex along with all of his henchmen. Whereas, villains on the other hand would be ordered to take down Superman. Also to add, the battle should be of a lengthy duration. I'm thinking somewhere in the timeframe of 10 minutes. And, sure, players would be rewarded for participation. Whichever side is the victor would receive greater benefit, of course.

I could definitely provide a much more detailed description, but hopefully that summary does just enough to give a rough idea. Such an in-game scenario could definitely help to strengthen the bond of the community as a new refreshing way to bring players together, whether newer or veteran, as it would be open for all to participate. And, such a concept is a nice foundation to help rebuild how we regularly engage with Metropolis or Gotham. Especially, with older players as it provides greater reason to revisit those two areas.
    • Like x 1
  8. Irvynnge Loyal Player

it would, yeah, & it's a great idea, but the game just wouldn't be able to handle all those people in one place at one time. the lag would be diabolical. seriously, it's bad enough when the Watchtower gets a bit busy, can you imagine if everyone descended on Amusement Mile at once? all them orbitals, pets, henchmen, powers going off at once? lol. it'd be a nightmare.
  9. Solarbound Committed Player

Yeah, I definitely understand the lag issue. I mean, you would think after 9 years they'd be able to find a more legitimate solution for that by now. You talk about everyone being at Amusement Mile all at once, it reminds me of the PVP war that took place way back in the day hosted by Mepps and Radar X to promote the Last Laugh DLC. A lot of such lag happened, but it was such a great time to participate in that event. Hands down my favorite DCUO moment. Regardless of the so-called existing restrictions, that kind of feeling is something this game direly needs to have come back. Making DCUO feel full of life again; I miss that.
    • Like x 1
  10. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I think the two words you are looking for are Black Dawn.
    • Like x 1
  11. Irvynnge Loyal Player

at least with Black Dawn there's only eight of youse. imagine, though, dozens, possibly even hundreds, of heroes & villains all at once! eek!
  12. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I totally agree with you, matey. one of my favourite memories of this game was when a bunch of us were hanging out 'round the Superman statue one day, & completely out of the blue Mepps spawned the biggest horriblist ugliest Avatar of Smash you ever did see right over our heads. the game went insane. everyone, heroes & villains alike, went full on Schwarzenegger. the lag was bloody awful, but, man, what a laugh! these days, though, with all the different animations going on ( back then, you just had your bog standard Orbital Strike & that was your lot ), the whole game would go into meltdown. but, yeah, you're right, man. if there was some way it could be done, I would love to see that sort of thing happening again. in fact, I'd just like to see the devs get more involved. I genuinely miss them as a presence in the game ( not that I don't blame 'em for not sticking their heads above the parapet - seriously, check out shout on the rare occasions Mepps turns up in the Watchtower, yeeeesh ).
    • Like x 1
  13. AquiloFury Committed Player

Lol the lag is real. Everyone who has been in a phase for manbat or shadow Golem can attest to this. My wife and I were spamming shadow Golem the other day and so many were there that it lagged so friggin bad..by the time we realized the minions spawned, we were dead lol
    • Like x 1
  14. Solarbound Committed Player

Yep, moments like that were always a good time. And, we just never know how to act anytime Mepps himself logs in, haha. That kind of DEV involvement should be more emphasized, though. Simply always having someone on call within the actual mix of our community who can pinpoint exactly where certain issues need to be addressed to help things run smoother moving forward. Spytle used to do a pretty good job with that having such engagement with players, regardless of certain turnouts under his tenure.

Still, I feel there's a solution to every problem. And, for DCUO to meet its fullest potential, those DEVS truly need to figure out how to get around those roadblocks.
    • Like x 1
  15. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Originally Black Dawn was outside in the main Gotham open world. After seeing that 32+ people would play the same last boss at the same time they moved it indoors.

It was a mess, but it was a glorious mess! Many new players were enthralled watching it. Really inspired a lot of people.
    • Like x 1
  16. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

That's a great idea. Those are the kinds of things this game is missing.

I also wish that they would do that with a PVP element as well. For example, allowing a group of villains to raid the watchtower during peak hours, maybe with a "capture the flag" like objective where they have to steal an artifact or free a prisoner. Just like you said, an alarm goes off in the Watchtower and all the lighting in that area between the Tech and Magic wings goes red. And players not in the Watchtower receive an emergency alert from Oracle asking them to come back and defend the Watchtower.

I know there is a PVP instance like that and we have RIng War and Diamond Heist in the open world, but nobody does those anymore.
    • Like x 1
  17. Solarbound Committed Player

I swear, I thought of a similar idea years ago. Not on the level of some capture the flag style of game within that. More so just simply having that ability to invade or breach the interiors of opposing factions bases in the open world. As someone who came up in the PVP scene, I would live for such a feature. The kind of mini-games or battle scenarios you're thinking of would definitely add a nice touch.