Fix might single target.. why is heat vision mandatory?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by gemii, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Curveball Active Player

I see this come up a lot, in a number of different MMOs. While there are people who believe that anyone who chases character power and effectiveness are somehow morally bankrupt, they aren't as common as they initially appear. Most people are perfectly happy with the idea that it's possible to maximize damage in a character. The protest usually comes up when there's only one way. Why just one way? Why not more choices? Why only heat vision for might? Why only dual wield/bow for precision?

The answer, in my opinion, is that whenever the topic of power or weapon balance comes up a developer starts screaming and has to get locked in That Room In The Back That They Tell Interns Never To Go Through, and at least two others reach for a bottle of whiskey with one hand and a bottle of pepto bismol with the other.
    • Like x 1
  2. That1DarkKnight Active Player

Heat vision is not mandatory. It can actually decrease your continuous damage output for certain powers like gadgets. It is probably one of the best for long range might-based single target damage though, but again not always completely necessary.
    • Like x 3
  3. gemii Dedicated Player

This is along the lines of what I’m getting at.

Why not just strengthen might powersets that need more love in their single target potential vs relying on a solar amp artifact or la Mort card..

Most might powersets have always fallen short on single target. So the answer is getting duped into leveling single target based artifacts to 160 -200 to compensate as alternative instead of just fixing the powersets weak spots? why the heck would I do that when I can just go prec and flurry shot with some 120 arts and still dish out just as good if not better damage with better mobility

When I go into elite content I don’t see No ice might dps, no water might dps, no rage might dps...and even on them rare occasions I do their definitely using heat vision to try and keep up.
    • Like x 1
  4. Trexlight Devoted Player

Also keep in mind, not all Powers are suppose to be built for ST. Electricity is one of those Powers that doesnt do well in Single Target and thats okay. If you want to, then Heat Vision (with Solar Amplifier) is what you'll need and go outside of your powerset. Its not a bad thing if a Power cant do Single Target. Just makes them a different playstyle and thats perfectly fine.
    • Like x 1
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Actually, I've found that the thing that aggros the embers the most is movement. There's a fire DPS in my league and every time I've run DMe with him he can pretty much just stand there and go through his rotation unbothered unless someone brings them to him. A few of the times I've ran it on my atomic alt and went DPS for that boss fight (since there's no point in two tanks) I've also been able to just stand there unbothered and go through my rotation.
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I think it's sonic cry
    • Like x 1
  7. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I think it's sonic cry. I always thought it said death
  8. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Why would you think it matters to me or not if you take my comment seriously?
  9. spack2k Steadfast Player

yes but when the fire balls are near one, one has two options either dpsing while moving away which is easy done with a prec build or just blocking for a few seconds and wait for them to focus other targets like troll and healers who jump around for survival but one still cant ignore the fire balls once they nearby while keeping the channel active, ppl end up dying.
  10. FullMetalTitan Committed Player

No need to get salty. Just stating that by your response, you clearly have no clue what you are talking about lol
    • Like x 1
  11. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

That's your opinion. Enjoy it.
  12. ALB Dedicated Player

The players on the DC forums make getting fixes and balance so hard. The "<insert power> not bad at all". The worse crowd is "you don't need <insert power/piece of character equipment>. You can just get through current content just fine with the bare minimum". Most of the might powers need HV for maximum damage. Even with using finisher. If your not using HV in l/o, you're holding the group back.
  13. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

single target loadouts are boring.
  14. AV Loyal Player

But even with the HV requirement, there's still way more Might variety than there is with Prec. Not every power is different but there are 4-5 flavours/variety of Might ST loadout vs Prec's "spam dw flurry n clip."
  15. ALB Dedicated Player

What's the 4 or 5 flavors that do just as much damage as HV?
  16. AV Loyal Player

I mean despite the fact that Solar HV should be in every might rotation right now, there are 4-5 different rotation patterns that might rotations follow. Ie every power's bis rotations are semi-unique but there are usually 3-4 powers that have a very similar organizational structure and there are 4-5 different organizational structures that meaningfully work vs 1 basic pattern for all of prec.
  17. Proxystar #Perception

I don't think many forum users really run elite, so they're not seeing this and therefore have the perception, misplaced, i agree, that flexibility actually exists.

A little more flexibility starts to exist within elite towards the tail end of a DLC, but even then you just don't often see it because elite players strive to be optimal and don't muck around with inefficient concept damage and the like, generally speaking.
    • Like x 1
  18. ALB Dedicated Player

Still haven't said or showed rotation that might use for st without HV. I can think of 2 powers. Gad and nature
  19. AV Loyal Player

Cuz that's not what I said?
    • Like x 1
  20. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

Better question? Why is heat vision stationary? Whats the point that keeps it immobile:eek: ?