Fix might single target.. why is heat vision mandatory?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by gemii, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I was trying to crack the best ST loadout for Quantum (which has 3 ST moves including the finisher) for when you need to focus a certain target, like in Phoenix Cannon. But then I realized you have players who don't have strong ST like Electricity who just rack up the splash damage. So it looks like I'm underperforming even though I'm limiting my splash damage. Because of this, I feel compelled to use HV so I'm not missing out too much.
  2. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Share loadouts? PM if you want.
  3. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

My point is that from my understanding, might players are being forced to use heat vision between finishers when they might have preferred to use something more thematically appropriate for their characters.

Look, I don’t really have a horse in this race because I dropped tray spamming the second the revamp dropped and never looked back, but heat vision is to might players as dw into bow and doom spin is to precision. I hate it when people tell me to use those things because they are NOT part of my vision for that character.

I imagine there are probably might users being “helpfully” told they need to use heat vision and solar amplifier and resent it just as much as I resent the former.

Not every superhero has laser eyes as a power. Superman does, and so does Martian Manhunter sometimes (I wonder how that works out with his crippling fear of fire but that’s another conversation). Batman doesn’t, neither does Wonder Woman or Aquaman. But almost every tray using player is being railroaded into using it. I just don’t think that’s right.

But you are one of the main people eluded to by another poster in this thread, who has made it their personal mission to stifle any and all criticism of this game. I’m sure you have good intentions, but so do many of us who criticise the game. We only want to improve the experience for as many people as possible.
  4. nawanda Loyal Player

There are lots of situations where a single target build does faster damage.

Dark Multiverse - chicken master, all the sub bosses in elite with two tank set up, Barbatos
    Phoenix Cannon - all the sub bosses with a two tank strategy/for combo feats
    Fallen Idols - big second boss dude
    Monsters of Metal - Mister Freeze, Poison Ivy, any last boss setup with two tanks eg Elite
    Fellowship of the Arcane - Doctor Fate
    Shattered Gotham - Tala, Faust, Mordru and the Harbinger

I realise that there are waves of adds in some of these fights, but the fights end quicker if the boss is the focus of the damage and the adds take splash damage, or in some cases with a combination of single and multi target damage dealers. You seem to be suggesting that single target damage is niche; but in recent content, particularly for elite players, it’s almost compulsory.
    • Like x 1
  5. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Let's start with that erroneous statement...no one is being forced into anything. They are willingly choosing to use HV between finishers and other moves because they're chasing maximum damage. The only thing they're being "forced" to do is to make a choice between maintaining thematic aesthetics or going for best damage options.

You say you have no horse in this race but I find it hard to believe when you decided to chime in (which is your right to do). To me, anyone involved in this discussion is putting a horse in this race. That's not a bad thing, I just don't want anyone trying to fool me otherwise. Just be honest and get your actual point across. :)

Again, no one is being forced or railroaded...they are being given the option of choosing an ability with high damage potential. Since when is that wrong or bad???

Wrong again. That's how some of you "feel" because instead of actually reading what I write, you've decided in your minds that whatever I write means I want to stifle criticism point blank. The reality is either i'm opposed to bad ideas, or i'm trying to help people help themselves when they have a message to get across. If you come at the Devs with vinegar and spite, you've wasted everyone's time, because your point will be ignored by the people you're trying to reach.

How does any of this pertain to this thread? Simple, might single target is not in need of a fix. With a little ingenuity and acceptance of the options that are already available in the game, you can do great single target damage. Asking the Devs to fix might single target to accommodate a few players' fantasy vision, in my opinion, is asking for too much. From my viewpoint, it's the content that needs to be modified, they need to stop making content that seems to force players into these niche builds that seems to be aggravating so many.

Either way, I think that their resources would be better placed on fixing the two lagging powersets (Mental & Sorcery) and beefing up the few weak abilities in the rest of the powersets to offer more build options, rather than fixing something that isn't exactly broken.
    • Like x 4
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You misread me. I said single target damage with minimal splash damage for certain feats is niche. All the other boss battles you mention can be accomplished with what's in the game already, meaning there's nothing to fix with single target damage. What the OP seems to be asking for is that all other single target abilities in our powersets basically get boosted to Heatvision-with-solar-amp levels either within each powerset itself or through a new artifact, all for the purpose of retaining thematic aesthetics.
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

We are being railroaded though albeit not directly by the developers themselves, as I said there are people insist on “helping” you even if you have consciously made that choice to be thematically appropriate instead of min-maxing and are perfectly happy with having done so.

This is an MMO, nobody plays in a vacuum. I already know you’re gonna say just pay no attention to it or whatever, but it’s tiring and annoying having to explain yourself to people on a regular basis, and it’s rude to just blank them.

I especially don’t think asking developers to make sure certain abilities aren’t almost irreplaceable in certain fairly common scenarios is a “fantasy vision”. It’s just good gameplay design, especially in a game that’s about creating and customising your own character.

Yes, we could make the scenario less common, but there are quite a few npcs for whom it just wouldn’t feel right to have them summon constant waves of minions.
  8. Irvynnge Loyal Player

so, why do you have to use Single Target Damage? is it just to get the thing done quicker? or, in the pointed out instances, is there some kind of bad thing that happens if you hit multiple targets? genuine question.
    • Like x 2
  9. nawanda Loyal Player

I don’t think I misread you to be truthful. I’m not arguing that things cannot be accomplished with a multi target loadout. I’m saying that there are lots of situations where damage dealers do more DPS with a single target loadout. Given that it’s their job to do as much damage as possible as quickly as possible, people wanting optimal and balanced single target performance is entirely legitimate.

There are of course a couple of specific situations where you’re seriously going to struggle with purely multi target damage dealers, such as chicken master in DMe and attempting the SGe 50% feat.
    • Like x 1
  10. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

When I first joined in Fall of 2010 it was a great power to use if you wanted to keep up with rifle and hand blasters. I mean nothing kept up with rifle spamming grenade launcher but it was pretty good.
  11. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

If your in elite, the slower the boss burn the more the boss will end up doing his one shots in an encounter.
    • Like x 1
  12. Dazz-252 Committed Player

I am curious what you are on about. lol
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

She is talking about Voracious Plants I think? Last time I read someone mention that power, they called it the power that makes weird music play and a voice repeating "damn." lol
  14. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Heat Vision is the DW Bow of might. Lately I've been using my finisher and La-Mort card instead, because I wanna be different. :p

Makes me wish the Gadgets' finisher looked cooler, or that I could use Munitions'...
  15. Black Jaq Devoted Player

A combo of that but yes, getting things done quicker because the 2nd fight of DMr can be a wipe if you don't get enough damage on the boss in between his phases because he damages the rocks that you have to hide behind. So yes, a group can wipe with insufficient burn in the regular version. The adds are there to split damage (and annoy).

Many feats are actually based on controlled burn such as Metal Mayhem from the Damage Control alert where you must defeat the Metal Construct without defeating the Living Metals. In that fight though, any splash damage is discouraged.

I know for Quantum that Einstein's Ray which is ST will crit better and do better damage than Gravity Bomb (an AOE ability) on a ST. The abilities have the same cooldown and power cost. So you can maximize your damage on the boss fights that don't have adds, like 2nd boss of NGN, 2nd boss of Bombshell paradox, Ultraman in Panopticon. And those fights you want to get done quicker because of mechanics/environment damage that can wipe players.

Nothing explicitly sticks out in my mind that it would be bad to damage a certain add unless it would explode or transform you. It's been a while since I've touched some of those older raids.
    • Like x 2
  16. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Did something interesting. I decided to test Supercharge Generation. Note that I did have the League Hall proficiency when testing so this is not a pure number. Not all finishers generate the same amount of SC recovery. It's true. Small Package was the lowest of the powers that I have access to, 4 hits of 8. Energy Expulsion, Sandblast and Snuff Out all did four hits of 17. But Heat Vision will sometimes hit for 3 ticks of 43. It seemed to be a bit inconsistent and might miss a tick. Same for Amplified Heat Vision. So if you are using HV, you are actually generating SC much fast than any of your abilities except the SC generator. That really gives HV an unfair advantage, IMO.
    • Like x 1
  17. FullMetalTitan Committed Player

The fact you actually think that makes me unable to take this response serious. Very rare a might dps comes out on top vs skilled prec users. Prec is to op in all areas. Dw for single and it used to be smoke bomb but now doom spin is incredibly strong when fighting adds. I don’t want them to nerf prec, I want might buffed to give ppl options on how to dps
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

He is referring to Sonic Cry. I use it my melee LO.
    • Like x 1
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Buuuuuuuttt....everyone has access to the same advantage....so how is it unfair?
    • Like x 2
  20. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I could have said that better. It doesn't give players an advantage, but it is a more advantageous ability to use in any ST loadout.
    • Like x 1