SM Season 2: Devs any news?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Olli Malicious, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Awsome Well-Known Player

Survival mode isn't about fairness. They have flatly told us that they use the data from SM to help with balance. Single player SM will no doubt give the Devs some incredibly valuable data.

Maybe they can have four categories, one for each role. That way you can run in what role you want, and try to be top of that role.
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Got another video coming huh? lol ;)
  3. Eve YouTuber

That will be epic. Add in some mechanics like the one in Metal Part I solo, so you can't stand in place all the time etc.
    I really hope so, we should be able to test our limits alone as well and not just in group. Maybe NPC's can join us, though.
  4. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

There is no point in sm same with PvP. Powers are broken and weapons still. Plz don't waste any devs time with elite content or sm just like u are doing with PvP. There is no point to run sm with only one kinda dps and one kinda healer and one kinda troll and tank. Just don't waste anymore time with elite or sm or PvP. Just keep dropping time caps chromas auras base items and reg content. It will give u guys more time to tell us what ur next mmorpg is for next gen
  5. Ully Committed Player

Bring back the 8-man format. It will encourage more group setups and variety is always good for players. The difficulty should also be tuned up substantially to scale with 8 players, just think of the possibilities. I hope we get more information soon, because I know its something that my extra pro frens have been waiting for.
  6. AV Loyal Player

Would happily pay to -not- have anymore SM. Mindless time sink.
  7. The Anxient Loyal Player

Unless they build 4 separate modes, one for each role it won't work.
  8. The Anxient Loyal Player

So since you don't like it, it shouldn't be in the game?
    • Like x 1
  9. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

You raise a good point right here.

They definitely need to have 4 separate modes so that people can queue in as a healer then they can switch to DPS for the win.

To hard to use powers designed for our roles to get by, much easier to just run everything as a DPS, because stunning, healing, and flat out taking damage as a troll, healer or tank is way...way... to complicated and hard to do...

Maybe they could make SM include your idea and have it to where every person must perform their role, individually.

Like hold your own, where the boss is scripted and so are the adds, to where healers better know how to heal and trolls better know what to do with loose adds.

I get that we need a handicap and all, but, for once can they try a different route instead of just dumbing things down all the time.
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Well I was about to start leveling my claw artifact for battle trolling to help you guys out. But I suppose if you’re just gonna switch, it saves me the trouble...
  11. High Troller Loyal Player

8-player SM, please. No more alienating Trolls that wear Troll gear. No more being forced to "battle" troll, pretty please. SM Season 1 really alienated trolls that wore troll gear.
    • Like x 1
  12. Zneeak Devoted Player

No, you're right, Survival mode is about surviving. If one role/playstyle will pretty much be a requirement to survive it, you are talking about imbalance. Are you saying that Survival Mode should allow imbalances?

Lol, that data can be given to them right now, without having to put players through what would amount to a highly imbalanced event just to come to the most obvious of conclusions. It's like you've completely forgotten about the years of existence of the Test Server, let alone the years of further testing on Live Servers.

Now you are actually talking about solutions. I am not sure how they would go at it though, or if they would even want to use the extra time I assume it would take designing an SM around all four roles to create different scenarios for a Single player-version. But it is indeed an interesting idea. If they could make that work, i'd be giving a thumbs up on it.

In my mind however, SM is still best designed around a full raid-group and their best bet to avoid as much imbalance as possible is to follow that formula. But hey, that's just my opinion.
  13. Coelha Well-Known Player

I farmed the heck out of this game, bought membership after a long time not playing and even forgot for a while artifacts p2w system were a thing to try out season 1 but nah... I could literally sleep during rounds, this new 4-man SM is not even close to the oldie 8-man one (except for the rewards, that are 100x better now)...Anyway... I probably won't play any of them at this time, kind of done :D
  14. The Anxient Loyal Player

I don't need a handicap and think the idea of solo survival mode is asinine. The reason I said what I did is because a solo survival mode would be only be feasible for battle tanks. Everyone else would be crying all over the forums first day that the new SM isn't fair. The devs would inevitably nerf it so it's "accessible to everyone". At that point tanks would be facerolling it. Therefore 4 different versions or it would be a fail.

P. S. Next time make sure you are comprehending what is being said before trying to talk down to someone
  15. kingmasternova Loyal Player

I was looking at the seasonal seeing what mouth(s) would be the best to have a new SM it look like July, August, and September.
    If the Summer event is in June, then in July SM could be a new event (seasonal), August & September need a seasonal I think August could be a PvP, November could be a donate stream like last year. Rename Seasonal category tap to Event.
  16. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Seasonals tend to take about 5-10 minutes a day to do. I don't think here's any reason to time an SM event around the seasonals.
  17. AV Loyal Player

That's a facile argument. Works both ways. Ie. "So just because you do like it it should be in the game?" It has nothing to do with like/dislike. SM shouldn't be in the game anymore because:

- It's archaic design and poor gameplay. Hours and hours of dodging the same mechanics over and over and over again while you tank & spank is neither novel nor compelling, especially when the only context is "dodge the same mechanics for hours while you tank & spank just because."
    - It appeals and is applicable to a negligible percentage of the playerbase. Only players near max for the limited release window can really participate in a meaningful way and even fewer can meaningfully pursue higher advancement, alienating developing players who are made acutely aware they're missing it forever.
    - Faux challenge and faux elitism. Because of the above two factors, everything "hard" about SM is a sham. It's basically the equivalent of a group of people each running through the first few levels of Super Mario Bros in tandem over and over and over again for hours without more then one person making a mistake at a time. Taking an easy fight and making it 100x longer does not make it a harder fight. Winning an easy fight that takes forever does not mean we're good, it means we have a lot of spare time and low standards.
    - Server stability is the only actual threat. DCUO's servers can behave wildly differently from day to day or even hour to hour. In a super long fight where server lag can mean eating a mechanic you handled properly on your end, it makes for a very cheesy experience.
    - It draws resources from other aspects of the game that desperately need attention.
    - Virtually no reason to reset the "content," so low earning potential. The few players I saw "return" for SM didn't stick around or spend much, if any, real money. Conversely, players alienated by SM's asinine time investment requirements and "if you're not high enough when this gets released then pound sand" feature became discouraged and left the game (and I haven't seen them again since). Others hate it so much we'll actively close our wallets to the devs if resources are devoted to it.
    - It's draw is predominately based on FOMO. Limited release window + extremely long fights means that not only is the time requirement extreme, the time you do put in has to be condensed into the limited event window and coordinated with other people.
    - It's time requirements are fundamentally unhealthy both physiologically and socially. As someone who tanked multiple groups through the last SM, spending hours staring at the screen unblinking and scarcely able to so much as take a sip of water for 20-30min a time was very, very gross... Not to mention the toll it takes on a player's social life. Since most people work, and since SM runs take extremely long with only brief breaks between bosses, you have to set aside huge chunks of time where you do pretty much nothing else. It dicks over anyone who has family, friends, relationships, jobs with irregular hours, or really any kind of basic human interaction/obligation/responsibility.
    - It is a shameless time-filler skinner box. The MMO equivalent of a clip show played on repeat in slow-mo until the heat death of the universe.

Bottom line, SM detracts far more from the game than it contributes.
    • Like x 2
  18. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Your opinion sir
  19. kingmasternova Loyal Player

Yes, but it's still an event. That is why I said to rename seasonal to event. SM come around once awhile that is why I was thinking what mouth would be a free mouth so there could be something to do for every mouth for some people that need something to do.
  20. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

I cant wait to see someone beat SM, then post videos about why SM needs a buff now.