Old Content, Source Marks and What Were You Thinking!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Darth_Andrea, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

I've been playing on and off for nearly 2 years. Much more of late. And I've come to the conclusion that the developers don't want players playing older content. It's the only conclusion I can come to given one fact. Once you pass a certain CR older content no longer gives Source Marks. And since Source Marks are required for so much of the game, from your lair to just getting gear or upgrading artifacts people have no incentive whatsoever to play that older content. As the RNG loot drops are far to random to be worth grinding unless you really want a specific drop or a style piece.

Which in the end makes no sense to me. Older content, left unplayed or unplayable just takes up code space in the game. The Developers should want that content active as much as the newer. As it stands right now there are so many people screaming in zones for people to queue for older duo's 4 and 8 man content because no one is playing it because they won't get even a single Source Mark for running it and they either have or don't want the loot drops from those queues.

I don't know what the devs were thinking, perhaps one will pop in this thread and explain. But either way I think it needs to be changed. Change the end of mission rewards to add back the Source Marks regardless of CR and that content becomes active again. Especially the more fun ones that people avoid because the rewards don't aline with their needs.

And in the current DCUO those needs are Source Marks.
    • Like x 5
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

The CR tier, Source Marks and rewards systems need a revamp. There is much much stuff condensed together that needs to streamlined because that On Duty menu is full of so much bloat that im surprised the game has made it this far.
    • Like x 4
  3. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

Cos they want premiums buy memberships, there is no other reason
  4. Jafin 10000 Post Club

That doesn't make any sense. People with a sub don't get more Source Marks than premium players who own episodes, aside from having access to the Vault more often. I don't think those extra 4 Source Marks a week will make people buy a sub.
    • Like x 3
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

People still expect to be handsomely rewarded for steamrolling old content? Crazy. Maybe just run the content for fun or the nostalgia, we get enough Source Marks from relevant content.
    • Like x 5
  6. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

When you are right... you are right... idk what i was trying to say xD my hater mode i guess
  7. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

Who's talking "Handsomely" We are talk 1 or 2 source marks added to the end of mission rewards. I'm not expected to run all the 1 player queues and get a 200 marks. I'm talking making the older content at least a minimal value to play for people who's CR is well past the intended level for that content. And allows newer players or players with toons of lower CR the ability to run that content for the drops in order to increase their CR. Am I the only person thinking of anyone other than myself?

This isn't about me wanting X it's about seeing the community as a whole be able to engage more with the available content and have more to do in the game. I mean right now the "Relevant" material are 4 event queues and 3 daily missions (outside the anniversary) That's enough to keep someone in game for maybe an hour.

If you want more queues popping, more people playing and more people engaged with the content and for the devs the Marketplace. You need a reason to keep them in the game longer to keep them playing longer and keep the game itself rewarding for the time they put into the game. And right now there isn't much that gives people that reason.

As it stands I spend maybe 2 hours in game working on the 2 characters I currently care about and then I log out and don't think about it again till the next day. Because there is little for me to do past that. However if I could run the older queues and get at least a single Source Mark out of my time invested I very much would.

Let's face it when your intentionally gating rewards like Marks from content your specifically saying to the players Once your past this ignore it. And I'm sorry I don't think that was the intention. If I'm wrong, again I hope a dev corrects me. Until then I still say the reward system still needs changed and at least a minimum of 1 source mark added to the rewards pool for all On Duty queues regardless of CR.
  8. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Hmmm...not really. I would run all the older open world content daily and weekly missions while waiting to cue. Might as well if you're farming for metal at the same time. I'd then use the extra marks to buy catalysts.

It would take me all week to get them all done. Now I'm done in only a day.
  9. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

A lot of the older players got kinda bored with running through the old content so much. The game is a grind, and it used to seem worse of a grind. Sure, there's still feats you can get from older content, lfg for feats in those contents maybe?

I do agree that there should be a slight reward (other than just style gear) in old content, minimal marks. I most certainly feel they should bring back teleporters to old content. I greatly enjoyed taking a few league mates in with me to run paradox wave as a 4 man, that made it super challenging, yet fun because of the challenge.
  10. Kuno Loyal Player

You are wrong.
    Without worthy rewards no veteran player has a reason to play older player.
    Without older players login to do old content, then new players playing that have long queue times if they even get in.
    • Like x 2
  11. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

There are TWO issues with higher level players running older content. The first has been well discussed in this thread....rewards that entice Vets to run older content.

The other issue as I see it is that, newer or lower level players, when they run older content with Vets don't get a chance to actually PLAY it. They get left in the dust as the high CR player face rolls the instancce.

My suggestion is this...

Scale all rewards to the player CR level and then CAP the higher CR player to the max level relevant to that content.

I am talking all rewards EXCEPT current Marks and Gear or any direct LEVEL progression drops. So VETS would get Source Marks, Collection, Style, and Base item drops (as well as any of the above that you may have missed when YOU were at that level) for your current actual level by running older content at a competitive level with newer players. Lower level players would get quicker queues, and competitive play.

Just my opinion but this would seem to be a reasonable approach
    • Like x 1
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Bonus Source Marks aren't going to make someone at end game queue up for past content. A bonus rare drop perhaps or a missed feat will get people to group up and run. Source Marks don't have much value after you've purchased all styles and maxed out your Artifacts.
    Source Marks is not synonymous to "worthy reward" for everyone. I would love to have a reason to make time to run old content but if bonus Source Marks is the sole idea, no thanks. What would happen if they removed marks relevancy? Do you honestly believe veteran players are going to just queue up to help the new players? They're going to spam solos/duos for their fast marks, new players will still be waiting on alerts/raids to queue.
    • Like x 2
  13. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Oh someone mentioned the walk in portals for older content. As I understand it this was actually kind of game breaking (crashes), which is why it was discontinued.
    • Like x 2
  14. THOMAS WAYNEjr New Player

This was changed because certain people complained about higher CR toons going in and killing everything. They said it was not fair and unenjoyable. Me personally if was at level and having a hard time I would not mind some help.
  15. Jafin 10000 Post Club

It actually would make me run old content again. When I get bored I like to go back to lower alts and play around with them. One of the gates with alts now is how unfriendly the artifact system is to them. My lower level alts don't have a lot of Source Marks since they're not played with all the time, so what little SM they do have I don't want to spend on getting an artifact to rank 80. If I was able to run old content on my main for SM which I could then use to buy catalysts to transfer to my alts I can guarantee you I would be running old content several times a week.

Haha I had actually written out something similar to this but didn't post it because I know a lot of people have been against stat clamping higher CR players when going into old content in the past. I would propose a compromise though to what you have mentioned. Instead of clamping players at the max CR for that relevancy, how about clamping them at the recommended CR + 100. So if a raid had a recommended CR of 50 then anyone at CR151+ would be clamped down to CR150. That way we still feel like we've progressed, but at the same time we're not eviscerating every enemy that gets in our way.
    • Like x 1
  16. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I would think the reason that source marks aren’t in older content would be pretty clear. It devalues them.
    I did a quick run through to see how many solos, duos, alerts and raids would be pre JLD. Let’s say all of this old content awarded just one source mark.
    There are 29 solos. You can run a solo every day. So for older content alone you can get 203 source marks. There’s about 39 Old duos. That’s 273 per week. 32 old alerts which is 224 marks. And there’s about 31 old raids, which would be 31 marks. So JUST for old content we are talking 731 (give or take) source marks PER WEEK. And that’s not including what’s included in relevant content. They’d either need to keep things as they are, or jack up the cost of things that cost source marks to balance out the amount that we can get on a regular basis.
    If you want older content to be playable, increase the drops in the styles available in it or add some rare fancy cosmetic item. Honestly I run old content daily with little trouble for feats.
    • Like x 1
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If they had bonus weekends that removed relevancy on specific content, I could see that being productive for everyone.
    • Like x 1
  18. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Oh that's a good idea actually, I'd be down for that. Even if they just used it to test the waters with a view to full implementation down the road I think it would be very beneficial.
    • Like x 1
  19. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Thanks for doing the maths on that, it's good info to have.

If they were worried about devaluing the marks they could put a weekly cap on them of, for example, 200. That would still encourage people to go back and do old content. Hell they could even do it so that solos and duos reward one mark, alerts reward 3 and raids reward 6 and then implement a soft cap at let's say 120 marks so that raid rewards drop down to 4 marks and alerts to 2 before you hit the hard cap at 200, like how they do with Prestige.
    • Like x 3
  20. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Great suggestions!