Fleischer Superman content

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DiscoSoup, Jan 6, 2020.

1. DiscoSoup Active Player

I'm not sure many of you here are aware, but there was an old Superman cartoon that got made in 1941 and 1942. Next year marks the 80th anniversary of these short films.

Each of them was about 14 minutes long and cost $50,000 to produce. They are among the most beautiful pieces of animation ever made. Some of the images from them, such as Superman pushing a laser beam away or fighting mechanical monsters, are iconic.

I think it would be cool if next year or maybe even this year we got some content based on these animations. Like in mission where you fight against the mechanical monsters or another one we fight against the hawk men.
    • Like x 2
  2. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Never heard of it.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Best guess would be that it's not covered in the licensing agreement with DC since it's both old and animation, so I don't know if I'd hold my breath waiting for it.

Last I knew the license only covered the comics and comic content, so....
  4. DiscoSoup Active Player

LOL @FoolsFire. @willfllynne Ihadn't thought of that. Too bad. I really just want those robots. That shot, from the robot's POV, where it's advancing on the cop who's shooting it with a Tommy gun, is just incredible.

ETA: Actually, all of those cartoons are in the public domain.
  5. Disruptor Well-Known Player

The Fleischer Superman cartoons are in the Public Domain. Someone didn't register the copyright for them at the time. It took years before Warner released their version. Before that, there were other versions from some other companies. They were usually in the bargain bin going for $1.99 for the entire run on DVD.

Daybreak could freely use those old cartoons for reference.
    • Like x 1
  6. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Check out Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It's like a live action Fleisher movie.

7. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Absolutely 100% TRUE! I think it is a great idea. The Fleisher cartoons helped define Superman as we know him. It was in those cartoons that Superman first FLEW. Up until then he would leap, Hulk Style, about 1/8th of a mile. I think a very interesting story line could be built around a 1938 version of Superman.
  8. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

How bout stories about any one other than supes, ww, flash, batman and aquaman? Lets do black lightning or icon...the dc is so vast...use it and most important to some of us, bring out minority heroes/villans!
    • Like x 1
  9. DiscoSoup Active Player

Yeah, I remember seeing the previews forSky Captain way back when and getting really excited. The actually movie was just kinda okay to me, tho.

I do agree about widening out. I mean it seems like we mainly get Batman, GL, Flash and WW stuff. Batman and GL are probably more over-represented than the others, as those have completed arcs, and most Flash stuff gets folded into other arcs, such as the Time Paradox stuff having the speed force but really being Batman missions.

I would love to see more minority characters, both in the sense of those who don't get used a lot and those who come from diverse, non-white backgrounds. The Fleischer thing is really the only "mainstream" thing that I want right now. Black Lightning would be cool, as well as actually putting Mr. Terrific in the game instead of having him be a voiceless "mission control" type. As far as more obscure characters, bring on Plastic Man (and a matching iconic power), more Martian Manhunter, Doom Patrol and such.