who makes up duelling rules?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FrauFever, Nov 14, 2019.

1. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Where do duels take place? I mean if you really want to split hairs I guess you could make the argument that the Watchtower isn't open world....
  2. Broken Soui Dedicated Player

Basically it comes down to etiquette. If you cant win with your powers and weapon. You shouldn't be dueling. The folks saying "win with what you have" is the reason I always did arenas. Once arenas were littered with atomic tanks doing nothing but pulling off the node. I stopped arenas too. That was exactly the same situation. It came down to etiquette. Why are you even queing arenas if all you're doing is being cheese af by pulling off the mode.

It's the reason I only do legends now. If I even log in to the game. There's some ways you can be cheesey in legends. But it's not nearly as bad or cheesey
  3. Awsome Well-Known Player

BS

If you're going to challenge me, then prepare for everything I have. If you want to make rules, then you better have a conversation about that before hand. But if I accept a challenge (I never challenge) then I am going to win. I'm not going to tie one hand behind my back just because you did. I do not cheat. I do not use speed hacks or anything that is against DCUO rules, therefore I am following the rules of the game.

If you want me to follow some weird unwritten standard that has been developed with all your other little Dueling buddies, then you better lay all that out to me ahead of time. Otherwise, everything is legal that is legal in DCUO.

There is no "bad form" if rules weren't agreed to before hand. If I get blind challenged. I'm going balls to the wall. Etiquette be damned.

No.

If you challenge me and don't set ground rules (which is the most common form of a challenge in DCUO) then your rules are irrelevant. I'm taking you down. Don't want to risk that? don't blind challenge people. Set up rules ahead of time. DO NOT COMPLAIN when you challenge someone and they use sodas or orbitals. You did that to yourself by not setting up parameters. IT IS YOUR FAULT. Not theirs. Its on you (the challenger) to create fight that is palatable to you. If you don't. I'm going to beat you, with everything I have.

That said, Your point on the atomic tanks is for real. I refuse to do pvp anymore because of how broken it is.
    • Like x 6
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Years ago, and I do mean years. I would agree that using trinkets, supply drops, and anything else is cheesy for duels. Most would just not duel you anymore if you kept it up.

Now, totally different time. There are no rules. Heck, most of the people dueling wear PvE gear.

IMO, something goes for dueling someone as your off role. Back in the day, when you could debuff the person in their off role. That was fine.
    • Like x 1
  5. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

The first rule of duelling is that we never talk about duelling.
    • Like x 2
  6. ALB Dedicated Player

I use to duel when after people typed "gf" and when fight club was in Metro on top of star labs. When someone popped a soda, they were rushed by the opposite faction.
    If we are dueling, and you used everything and I used nothing and you barely won, you shouldn't take that as a W, but that's just ne
  7. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Oh that is one of my pet peeves. I just love when some high CR PvPer positions them self right near a vendor, or warp pad or any place where anyone HAS to click "E" and then of course attacks a player that had absolutely no desire to PVP at all. To be totally honest? I wound up here after City of Heroes shut down and it also had both PVP and PvE .. the huge difference was PVP was only possible in PVP specific zone with warp pads to take you there Forget about the huge pile of players beating on one another in the Watch Tower or the constant taunting between PvPers we all see in Metropolis. If a player wanted to battle another player in COH that had to get themselves to the right zone.
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

I'm patient. I'll pick 'em up on the quark vendor.
  9. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

LOL yup. I've seen the exact same people who cry about a soda use all PvP gear except the pieces that allow for mods. Especially the gadgets with the improved stealth mod. Now to me, that is far more cheesy than a soda or supply drop. Not sure if it's still like this but there were also some well known duellers/PvPers who were grouping up with other people that were also gadgets. If you were gadgets your teammates mines would damage whoever you were duelling. These are some of the same people who cry about people breaking some unwritten code or breaking the spirit of the game by using utility belt trinkets/sodas
    • Like x 1
  10. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

the victors live to write History...unless its DCUO...then the whining losers tell you every gruesome detail...
    • Like x 1
  11. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

couldnt you see these people in other ways or situations???
    "Now Hitler...we ALL know you have all those Tanks...but its not proper etiquette...Poland is still using a near All Cavalry mobile warfare...if you NEED to invade...only use horses....and no medics???!!!...if you cant stay alive invading then practice becoming a better Warmonger...damn it!! Yeah sure...makes so much sense...
    • Like x 3
  12. Irvynnge Loyal Player

heh. I don't duel. but I remember back before the refiddle, on the very very rare occasion I did accept, it almost always went something like this.

1. fight begins.
    2. Me: Distract.
    3. Me: Emp Pulse.
    4. fight over.
    5. Me: " what? "

I mock your rules!

there are no rules, other than those agreed upon by participating parties prior to the duel. if no rules are agreed upon beforehand, expect the worst & have at it with both barrels.
    • Like x 4
  13. Broken Soui Dedicated Player

You seem dense and can't even even make an apples to apples comparison. Hitler ? Really ? Let's see if we can't make a better comparison. Do you like boxing ? Tyson and Holyfield fought(dueled if you will). Tyson had the ability to bite Holyfields ear off at his disposal. But It certainly wasn't proper boxing etiquette when Tyson did that. Now was it ?
  14. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

right?

PVP is a joke now. I could see maybe taking it seriously about 50 updates ago, back when things like "counters still actually worked correctly" were true statements.

But if you're PVPing now, just enjoy the ride I guess? I know some people insist on nebulous etiquette or "winning clean" but the result is mostly that people who win "dirty" tend only to cry about people playing that way when they'e the one who lose. Don't care any more.
  15. Broken Soui Dedicated Player

Well. Mostly if you're in front of the phase shifter in the HOD or wherever heros duel. And you have your duel tag up and are looking for a fight. That basically is agreeing to the ground rules. If you don't think so then I don't know what to tell you. With that said folks like you are the ones I avoided when dueling. And that's ok. I truthfully quit DCUO about 4 years ago now. Recently came back for some legends. Got my fix, and have deleted the game again.
  16. Awsome Well-Known Player

Wrong. His Hitler comparison is more apples to apples than yours by a wide margin. Why? Tyson and Holyfield entered the ring with an agreed upon set of rules, and a referee to enforce those rules. This is exactly the point we are all making that you are completely missing. If I get challenged by you, unless we agree on a set of rules or parameters, there is nothing wrong or "in bad form" or improper etiquette to use everything. No one agreed to not do so.

Tyson knew that biting Holyfield's ear off was against the rules. He did so anyways. That is bad.

Using a soda in a duel with no prior to agreed rules is my right.
    • Like x 5
  17. Cyfaill Well-Known Player

Normally I'd say that a fair fight will be just using powers, but since I'm a villain I'm supoused to break the rules so...please be honorable and let me not be it.
  18. Awsome Well-Known Player

There are no set ground rules. I don't care what your duelling buddies think. Its not in the little game pamphlet that I got. Its not set up this way in the game. So no. I can use everything. You don't like it, either have a conversation with me to set some "ground rules" or don't challenge me. Simple as that.
    • Like x 4
  19. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

LOL talk about dense. Your comparison is horrible haha. Biting in boxing is illegal. It is set in stone and known by all participant prior to even getting into the ring. Since there are no set in stone rules for duelling, sodas aren't illegal.
    • Like x 3
  20. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Show me where the ground rules are officially posted lol. Having a duel flag up means nothing other than you're willing to fight.
    • Like x 3