Asking to be Excused is a GOOD thing, why vote NO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dwild, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Dwild Well-Known Player

When someone is in a group and requests to be excused, that player is being POLITE. He's saying he has to leave so the remaining members of the team can LFG for a specific replacement if one is out there. Voting NO doesn't make sense, because if he's saying hes going to leave...he's going to leave! He's just giving you a chance to find a replacement before he goes. Voting no to his statement is just insulting.
    • Like x 1
  2. GL4ever Well-Known Player

Well to be fair, there's a chance some accidentally voted no. I've done it before because I wasn't paying attention to which option I was on.
    • Like x 6
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The Excuse option is also broken last I checked. If all party members vote Yes, it will not remove you from the instance.
    • Like x 3
  4. nawanda Loyal Player

Please explain how someone asking to be excused is giving the group a chance to find a replacement any more than someone who says “sorry gtg” and just leaves.
    • Like x 3
  5. Proxystar #Perception

This isn't always true, some people just want to leave/rage quit an instance and try to excuse themselves to avoid the deserter penalty, it's also a perfectly viable answer to vote "no" when you know the person wants to leave not out of necessity but rather because they've spent 2 minutes swearing at everyone before then asking to be excused.

It isn't always as black and white as you suggest.
    • Like x 3
  6. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I think its more an issue for someone who has asked to be excused just wait around while everyone else votes and if some people are in combat or busy starts the vote again... just leave... the deserter penalty is nothing like it used to be. If you want to leave an instance, just tell them in group chat what happened or why you are leaving and just hit the leave button, please don't force everyone in the group to hold your hand while you leave the instance just take the initiative.
    • Like x 6
  7. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

Some might vote no accidentally.
    But there is also the idea of people with emotional problems. They might view asking to leave as being an abandoner.
    When I ask to leave I'm usually just being a giver-upper, or a league-mate needs help with something more important.
    However some with anger issues probably view it as an insult that you would join and then leave. Some with pettiness issues might think you are just rage-quitting and don't want to let you out that easy.
    Others just don't care. I mean "What is the difference between excusing and just leaving?" or "The penalty used for being a giver-upper used to be like 15 minutes and now it's only like 1." Yes I know I'm exaggerating those numbers, but with those lines of reasoning they might not vote, and not voting counts as a no.
    • Like x 1
  8. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

Of course I just reset my wifi, that way it looks like I got disconnected to everyone else. When really I just abandoned...and not really. I gave up on waiting for the excuse votes and just leave. Whether I inform the group first depends on whether I'm in a hurry and the thought crosses my mind.
  9. Draconiano Committed Player

Broken for like 4 years and people is still using it thinking it works, it triggers me.
    • Like x 1
  10. TheDark Devoted Player

To make you suffer.
    • Like x 2
  11. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

I also think it depends upon the circumstances of the alert/raid, as others before me have said. If I need to leave a raid in progress, I usually let everyone know that I need to leave and I will ask if they want my character to be a placeholder until they find a replacement; if so then they can kick my character out to let the new team member in when they find one. That is more polite and fair than just relying on the vote to excuse option.

If you do have to leave right away the deserter penalty is very short so using the request to be excused is pointless now, in my opinion.
  12. Jack-O-The-Green Well-Known Player

I've never voted "no," but I have needed to wait until I get out of combat. If someone can't wait to go and keeps popping it up in my face, passive-aggressively, I don't regard that as "polite" and would much prefer they take the 30 second deserter penalty, rather than spending two minutes making a scene.
    • Like x 4
  13. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Asking means the group can prepare for the empty spot, then vote no to reopen and then start using LFG to fill in the spot rather than open up to a random, which might not be the right role/lead to more issues -- unless that's changed since i've been away.
  14. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

Yeah same. Sometimes I have like a brain fart moment and forget the devs updated the excuse/invite/kick option and just press d-pad up x before remembering "oh **** that 's no now. My bad"
    • Like x 1
  15. spack2k Steadfast Player

I wont ever understand why someone bothers to be excused from the instance since the whole process will last longer than 1 minute which is the penalty duration, in the end by getting excused the initiator and the group will waste time and it makes even less sense if the initiator has to go off while sitting there waiting to be excused :rolleyes:
    • Like x 4
  16. Johnny DCUO Well-Known Player

When you excuse yourself or just leave, will not make any difference to the group. The only difference it makes is that you can que for the same alert/raid without getting in the same one when you excuse yourself. ;)
    • Like x 1
  17. FrauFever New Player

the "penalty" here is a joke, a one minute "time out" is stupid. it's not even a deterrent to me, if i get in a bad group. most game have at least a ten minute time out if you bail on a group, 60 seconds is time to get a drink and take a leak....
    i don't ever vote no, if they want to go, then get out...
    if i leave a group that stinks, i'll always ignore the person i thought stunk the most, so i won't go back to that group again, or that person, ever.
  18. Dom-Eon Dedicated Player

Because if I have to run it, SO DO YOU!!! :mad:

jk
    • Like x 1
  19. PolarisSylar Committed Player

There already a rule in place if the group kick a person they can't kick another person till in two hours.
    You penalizes the group if you ask them to kick you.
    But it benefit the person leaving. Tho.

So it best if the leaving just leave instance and take the small increment deserter penalty. Just leave.
    If you want to leave the instance.
    Thank you.
    • Like x 2
  20. nawanda Loyal Player

You can just vote not to reopen the instance in either case. I don’t think using the ‘excuse’ option makes it any easier than just leaving.

If someone agrees to take part in a raid or an alert via LFG and then, unless that raid or alert goes terribly awry, leaving in the middle of an instance often does cause problems for other players in the group. It’s often harder to get a replacement after first boss. While these things happen, the OP has to accept that people aren’t necessarily going to be pleased about it.
    • Like x 1