Are we ever going to see a Gender Token??

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Panda123, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Panda123 New Player

Isn’t about time DCUO get a gender token to change your characters gender like it’s been years! We have a weapon token that’s in my opinion useless because you can just respect your sp and put them on the weapon you choose. So why not just take away the weapon token and replace it with a gender token? I recently asked DCUO Youtubers and players on their perspective on it and they would be excited to see a gender token, also it would be a great investment to DC.
    • Like x 1
  2. Panderus Senior Producer

Good question! I checked with some of our developers and it is sadly not an easy task due to how our style items are saved in addition to the obvious of solving what to do with gender restricted style items. Its also not as simple as allowing items to work between genders as the body types are very different from each other.

Not impossible, but not an easy task either.
    • Like x 10
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i bet these would be a surprise hit on the marketplace.
  4. Panderus Senior Producer

Eh, not to show how the sausage is made too much, but these "Service" type micro transactions don't usually earn a lot of money in the short term, but they have a nice long term return (aka "tail"). I feel like the are usually as much an investment into the future as they are a quality of life for some players who are looking for that sort of thing.

The question is, when would be the right time to do this feature as opposed to do another? Is this feature worth the development time over say updating one of our UIs or revamping a stale feature in our game? At the moment I would be inclined to say we would prioritize other efforts over this feature, but its good to keep in the back pocket for some future time where it might make sense.
    • Like x 10
  5. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

PvP :D
    • Like x 3
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

isn't it no matter what you do something gives?

i have no need for a gender change token personally. if one of my characters enjoyed drag or was trans i would use the gender they associate with most and be done with it.

i see it as a game feature that provides more versatility to our experiences. players swap powers, names, movement modes, weapons, styles...this just opens up another option. the feature also opens up the possibility of gender only styles and feats and can influence a player through style and feat unlocking.

as a trope its not that uncommon in rpgs, fantasy and myth and comic books.

is it priority...for me no but i'm surprised it wasnt there from the start along with all the other respec tokens.
    • Like x 1
  7. Irvynnge Loyal Player

8. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Would there be any possibility of a mentor/origin change token?
    • Like x 2
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Likely the same situation...priorities.
    • Like x 3
  10. Heywiar Committed Player

Was about to comment this myself lmao
  11. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

Question, not sure if it's already been asked at some point, but how difficult would it be for you guys to double up certain style tabs as in have it showing
    - Head
    - Face 1
    - Face 2
    - Shoulders
    - Back
    - Chest
    - Hands
    - Waist
    - Legs
    - Feet
    - Aura 1
    - Aura 2
    - Accessory 1
    - Accessory 2
    - Emblem
    - Hair 1
    - Hair 2
    - Skin
    - Weapon
    - Movement

I've been wanting for awhile to custom create hair styles like having Cruel Locks with a mustache or Spiky hair with Ra'as Al Ghul's beard. Same goes for clipping masks or wearing a ventilator while still having a glowing/emissive eye style. And with accessories being in different locations (above head/feet/back/around body), it would be nice to have them in different locations at the same time (example being the Survival Mode halo with the Doctor Fate Ankh accessory). And if auras and accessories are like base items somewhat (thinking eye of gemini's), when clipped perfectly on top of each other, you can create new colors or do cool overlaps like the new Battle Lust Aura with Pulse-Sectionals. Obviously if a person just wants one of these, the 2nd slot would just bet set to none. Could inspire more sales if cool combinations were possible and I'm hoping at least there aren't clipping issues that would have to be worked around for these slots in particular.
  12. Megzilla Developer

Very difficult.
    • Like x 1
  13. AV Loyal Player

Understandable, but what about auras or accessories specifically? I noticed that Nth Metal Detector places a cool glimmering golden twinkle aura around the character that uses it and it made me wonder why 2x auras isn't an option (unless so that there's always that aura spot available for this kind of effect).
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Quite likely to help players see all of the other necessary effects and keep performance at a somewhat acceptable level. Besides our auras there's power based efx surrounding us from our own power, then healer efx, troll efx, and enemy/boss/environment efx as well. Not only is that a lot visually but it also taxes the system. They find ways around this everyone in a while (to add more cool things), but there has to be a limit.
  15. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I understand that changing mentors would be difficult with instance access and stuff, but I’d like to be able to change my origin on one character, Superman would still be her mentor but she’d become a magic hero, using the runes augment interface. Would that be feasible?
    Tagging you so you see this. :)
  16. Brit Loyal Player

I used to want these pretty badly. Since feat-unlocking became a thing though, it hasn't been a big deal to just spend my Replay Badges from my Legendary Sub and unlock more and more of my skill points onto a male alt. Sooner or later, I'll be able to switch pretty painlessly.
  17. Tabby Belle Well-Known Player

Sex change tokens are available in a way... just expensive and mildly time consuming.

Make a new character.
    CR/Level skip to 210
    Buy a bunch of Source Marks to get vendor gear from the Earth-3, Deluge, and Titans vendors.
    Buy a ton of replay badges to buy over all your previous Feats.
    Do the daily grind to raise your CR with gear drops and CR 10+ boxes from Atlantis, JLD, and Metal Part 1 vendors.

If you have an Alternate with the sex you desire, then it's a lot easier and cheaper as they may have currency saved up from previous DLC event-mode runs. Then all you'll need is a Name, Power, and Weapon token.
    • Like x 1
  18. darth_paul Dedicated Player

I don't want or need one of these tokens, but I just wanted to say that after numerous duplicate posts about this thing, this is the first time that I've seen a dev give a decent answer. Although, it is pretty much the same answer that everyone always gives, but at least this time it's from an official person. Won't stop another hundred posts being made to harp on it though. :D