Tell us what costume styles you would like to see next!

Discussion in 'Developer Discussions' started by Mepps, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Awsome Well-Known Player

is this sarcasm? I'm not used to a developer agreeing with me this emphatically....
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  2. Megzilla Developer

Oh sorry haha no I am surprised we don't have a variety of baseball caps with/without emblems.
    • Like x 4
  3. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Backward and to the side varients too!!!
    • Like x 1
  4. Awsome Well-Known Player

Oh awesome! Well, thank you!
  5. GodSpeed CW2019 New Player

I think it would be cool if you guys could make the lightning bolts be color changeable on speedsters
  6. Megzilla Developer

It would be, but I believe this is a licensing limitation. (DC controlled)
  7. Kaegrin Well-Known Player

Would it be more possible to get some preset colors based on existing source material, such as Wally's blue lightning and Thawne's red lightning? I know it was possible with the lightstream and smoke movement styles.
  8. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Is this just another way of saying Time Capsules? I don't mean it in a cynical way, just amusing.
    The closest thing you can relate to is probably Lady Shiva (their clothing has some similarities, and if she ever gets a redesign closer to her classic look I guess) with a(nother?) possible BoP episode, since I have a hard time imagining you suddenly hold a Chinese New Year seasonal event in whenever that is in that year. I doubt Chinese Justice League is making an appearance in DCUO anyway so you can't tie that to them either. Eh that's not my issue =P

Drowned (skirt portion): Chest style, short dress, clothsim on both back and front
    Trench coats: Chest style, long flowing cloth, clothsim on back
    Ancient Divine Sorceress, Wall Street: Leg style, short dress, no clothsim, pant oriented
    Wizardly, Druid, Hades' Cloth: Leg style, long dress, no clothsim, pant oriented (Why is it Hades's btw?)

When Meg says dress stretch ugly + no leg sim, I thought Meg's concept was to split a qi pao into 2 pieces, and the reason it won't work well is the leg part would either look like there's a wire at the end of dress or clip heavily with sim ala Circe's model.

That's when I propose either make a Ao Dai instead, as it is technically a pure chest style, and the split starts from the waist so it's basically just trench coat copy-and-paste twice for the front.

or

a chest style that acts as a one piece dress, using Drowned/Laughing Knight's static+clothsim mixture (with the skin-tightness and length of ADS as the transition point) so it's possible to make a hip-or-lower-split that won't clip that noticeably with the leg style. If the gap between legs and the skirt is an issue maybe use illusion to make it part of the curve-accentuating character?

900 brought up dress length that I just assumed to be a long one, but I guess it depends on how the boundaries between the pieces and skin are set to minimise clipping. If something like this is not feasible then maybe it'll just need to be shorter.
    [IMG]

I hope this clears up a bit better than the last one. When clothsim was brought up I just thought how it interacts with the legs rather than if it can flow freely lol

I feel like being used as a pawn so Meg doesn't need to dig everything by herself 0.0

*searches for fashion historian hat*
    *realises I don't own one*
    *searches interviews and books for reference*
    *recognise my self as a piece of sheet and blurt out whatever I can*

Short version: cheongsam.
    [IMG]

Long version:
    Cheongsam goes back a long way, and there is a divide: Some think qi pao is a branch of it's own and should not be confused with the "genderless" version (not diving into that), others think they are the same garment and refers qi pao as cheongsam, such as the case of how it's registered as an intangible cultural heritage, government exhibitions and the reference book I'm using. There seems to be a political dimension in there so... I'd suggest if you want to make a male version that's by data the same piece as the distaff counterpart, just avoid this whole mess by make up a new name like elegant structure. idk.

Also of note in terms of gender equality:
    Male versions never utilised the figure accentuating aspect the female designs have, but I think doing that is acceptable so both design looks consistent and belongs in a super hero game. (Progress of men's formal wear always seem to be so limited and very boring!)
    Plain design is probably good enough but if you're looking to do patterns as well, go for something that's more geometric to give it a more unisex taste.

I used this as a reference book:https://www.taaze.tw/goods/14100036923.html
    The e-book itself is free, bilingual and the appendix is especially helpful for creating designs, but you'll need to google/facebook login and translate the very page I gave you to know where to press. Maybe I can scan the pages if this doesn't get abandoned.

Maybe I've accomplished something but honestly, I feel like that whole post was just a cringe-worthy I-know-the-game-tech-declaration-even-though-I-most-likely-don't the second I read it after I first published it.

It never ceases to amaze me that since player toons don't get elevated when wearing heels in video games, leg contraction is a must with foot-binding style distortion thrown in occasionally.
  9. Megzilla Developer

Not Time Capsule, more like content. Usually we want Time Capsule suits to be really cool and fancy and unique, not realistic clothing.

Clothsim also has performance considerations, I don't know how how a dress (marked as a chest piece) would work with that. I can ask. I also think our cloth sim is limited in its weight, so the bottom of the dress would flapping around all crazy. However I am not an expert on this so take this with a grain of salt.

I am sure there is a better technical explanation for the heels, but that's really outside my knowledge. x.x

Thank you for the research and suggestions.
  10. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

heres a creepy 1.
    Wooden Casket - back style
    Chained Wooden Casket - back style
    Damaged Wooden Casket (skeleton visible) - back style
    • Like x 1
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

This whole chinese dress has turned out to be a bit of a rabbit hole both culturally and technically, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
    It was more of a suggestion than a request. :D

No need to over complicate the heel thing either. The various heels in character creation are already the perfect shape and size, I’d say just stick with it when making other styles like pumps, mary janes etc. :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

Ha! Everything has it's own rabbit hole if you dig hard enough #EverythingIsProblematic
    You two took my joke way too seriously so now I ended up being even more serious and a landmine scanner. Oh well.
    At least this is a multi-requested item!
  13. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Just looked at your other thread meg, didnt know u were interested in skins :) ill give u some i didnt see

¤Skeleton (Make an invisible barrier around it so it works like the other skins with styles, but is skeletal so we can make skeleton characters)

¤Smoke Bottle (Glass Skin w/animated smoke inside of it, glass and smoke tintable)

¤Deformed skin if that isnt controversial. like Victor Crowley, or the guys from Wrong Turn or Sloth from Goonies

¤Ghost Skin (a tintable transparent version of the human skins or undead skin)

¤a skin covered in eyeballs
    • Like x 1
  14. LLSmoothJ Active Player

Going back to the heels thing a bit, If the height can't be changed, how about the shaped. The heels are spiky, but what if the heels were more square like instead, for example.

[IMG]

Having more slimline styled/pattern boots (heeled or not) would be a good thing to think about as well.

And speaking of BatB Huntress, some retro-styled costumes would be nice as well.
    • Like x 1
  15. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

strongly doubt it would even be possible.. but. anyone ever asked for a set of 8 animated spider legs? like Arachne from greek mythology? maybe even toss some similiar adds in the next time we visit a greek location so u have a reasoning for adding it,like a brief reward. or the 1st ever omnipotent leg style.
    • Like x 1
  16. Megzilla Developer

Eww :( We did have the skeleton transmog thing this year though! I'll throw some of these on the list, I am not sure of any tech limits with these though at time of writing them down.
    Shape is irrelevant, just the height is what matters. :) I have Golden Age styles on my list!
    So I just asked... and yeah.. we technically could do animated spider legs.. and even animated animal tails. I have no idea when we could work on these, but they are possible and I do know we are excited at the idea of making some cool stuff like this.
    • Like x 3
  17. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

see thats why ur in my favorite devs with mepps & batuba, you connect with the community :) ty for taking that time to ask & im looking forward to anything u come out with
    • Like x 2
  18. BioMatter96 New Player

After every update of the game i get stuck entering... Freeze screen, and no commands work. Help.
  19. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

if i had animated spider legs i may have to convert my minotaur into an Ushi-Oni
  20. X13-KING Well-Known Player

Would it be possible for us to get a head style based on Despero's Third Eye? I'm thinking it would go great with the Emissive Eyes face style.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 5