Every decent name is taken

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Scorch Bomb, Jul 26, 2013.

1. KaydenKnytes New Player

Honestly, that's why I'm already looking to drop this game. Spent two hours trying to think of something and the only ones I could think of that were available sounded lame which is on me yes, but a feature like SWTOR that lets you generate random names THAT DO NOT CONTAIN NUMBERS wouldn't go amiss. I cannot tell you how much I detest names containing numbers and if it even looks like I'll be forced to use one I drop said game/service entirely.
  2. KaydenKnytes New Player

FINALLY IN, Sorry about all that was just getting super frustrated that I couldn't get into the game without numbers but I finally managed to pull it off.
  3. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Eww, numbers.

Nice necro btw. :p
    • Like x 2
  4. Dephyre Committed Player

Super necro
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

maybe think about giving your characters proper names rather than code names? I got a number of toons with "normal"-ish names. Irvynnge. Jaclynne. Lily Bleed. Johnny Artaud. Glouger. Mister Blisterpiss. rather than "super" names. or just mess about with the spelling. I got an electric character called Voltte. a munitions character called Gunhedd. there's ways.

edit. yeah, see you're in now, anyways. I'll get me coat.
    • Like x 1
  6. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

quit trying to remake Batman characters.

problem solved.
    • Like x 2
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Or Flash characters.

Or Superman characters.

Or Superboy characters.

Or Nightwing characters.

Or Kid Flash characters.

Or Damien Wayne characters.

Or....:D
    • Like x 4
  8. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Been playing since the beginning and I've never had an issue coming up with a name.
    • Like x 6
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

... or MLP characters, or Dragon Ball characters, or One Piece characters, or Pokemon, or ....

I'm waiting to see the first Residents or Mentors theme league...

"I wanna be her number one..."
    • Like x 3
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Agh, how could I have forgotten the anime characters?! The number of Uchiha and Uzumaki clan members I keep seeing never ceases to amaze.
    • Like x 2
  11. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

In all the year's I've play this game and even changed my name a few times I've never had this issue. It's all about being Unique and Different and doing not what's expected but the opposite.

So I'm always willing to help out with Unique names ^-^.
  12. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

This post, so creative, much wow!
    • Like x 1
  13. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

I understand the frustration. But yeah just gotta try to get creative. I was bored one day and saw a toon on here and got inspired. Made a new character. She was munitions. Name. Kelly Kaboom. Just gotta have fun with it. But i do understand having your heart set on something and it's taken. Its a pain.
    • Like x 2
  14. Brit Loyal Player

Just going to point out that Blizzard does a routine name purge on World of Warcraft. If a character doesn't log in for two full expansions, the name is released for other people who might want to play it.

The end result? A lot fewer of the XXX names. New players don't always get the name they want, but they will typically get a name they like from their first three choices. And it certainly doesn't appear to have caused some mass hysteria of outrage from players rage-quitting over it.

And keep in mind, unlike the rare DCUO name purge, the WoW routine ones hit any CHARACTER that hasn't been logged in on, not just any ACCOUNT. In WoW, you could be an active subscriber and still lose the name on your alts because you hadn't played them for too long.

Asking for routine purging of names from inactive accounts is and has always been a reasonable request, especially with DCUO's very forgiving system that protects all Legendary players on all characters. It's good customer service, successfully implemented by the most successful MMO ever. I hope someday our development team will realize this and give it a try here as well. I am thoroughly convinced that if new players could get a good name, rather than their XXXXXX version, they would feel more invested in their character and stick with it longer. And even for those of us who got good names, just seeing the XXX people everywhere can be mildly discouraging/annoying.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Problem is that this isn't WoW, our version of expansions come out a lot more frequently and our FTP/Premium/Legendary tiers kind of throws a monkey-wrench into the works.
    • Like x 1
  16. Brit Loyal Player

WoW expansions come about every 18 months.

I would be perfectly content with a name purge that only frees names from accounts that haven't logged in in the past 3 years, same time frame as them. Let freebies and premiums keep their names; that was only an issue during mergers when two people both already had the same name. But literally an account that has not logged in during the past 36 months, freeing up those names would still be a HUGE improvement.

The time between purges is irrelevant. I don't care how often they want to run them; I just want it to start happening on a regular cycle. Every six months? Annual? Two years? Three years? There will always be someone who will argue some excuse of why a player hasn't logged in for the past nine years, but still needs their account in tact. But basic customer service tends to favor taking care of your present customers as a higher priority than trying to bring back lapsed ones.

Once name purges become a regular thing, people get more of the names that they want. When people are happier with their names, then the stupid name-sellers have less success and it stops being a thing (it's only a thing in games that have a really bad naming system that forces all those XXXs nobody wants). When the namesellers give up, then even more names are freed up, and things continue to improve.

And if the end result is that my kid gets ticked off when he logs in after an extended break and sees his character has been renamed ExploShawn_II… well, that's still better than any of those XXX names I've ever seen.

I don't care to debate how to implement it. They could introduce it in literally any way and I will be happy. The time-frame, how the rename is handled, if or how they give notice to the existing player, all that stuff they can handle however they like and I will not voice one word of complaint. I just want a regularly scheduled name purge.

As a player who lost names at the Megaserver Mergers and has been playing with an _ZH and _DNG tag on my characters for almost a decade, I think 10 years is long enough for me to be able to reclaim my names from the inactive players who are holding names that I previously had.
  17. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Whether they'll let you use it, now that's the issue. ;)
  18. Eve YouTuber

I always use a dot · cause most of the names are taken. But it was never a big of a issue for me. "RedMetalBat" is probably my only character without special characters lol.
    • Like x 1
  19. Tsavorentless Dedicated Player

This is how you make a good name.

My real name Garnett but It's pronounced Garnet.

See wut ur name means n come up with something.

Tsavorite- a green Garnet stone
    Relentless - think you know what it means.

Both equal Tsavorentless- Green lantern with a tsavorite stone in his Green lantern ring
    • Like x 2
  20. Irvynnge Loyal Player

" quit trying to remake Batman characters."

" Or Flash characters.

Or Superman characters.

Or Superboy characters.

Or Nightwing characters.

Or Kid Flash characters.

Or Damien Wayne characters."

"... or MLP characters, or Dragon Ball characters, or One Piece characters, or Pokemon, or ...."

I've never understood this. I mean, it's up to the individual, of course, it's their game, let them play however they want, but it stumps me, every time. why would I want to play as someone else's character when the game allows me to create my very own superhero / supervillain with his / her very own ( no doubt far too convoluted ) backstory & supporting cast? that's where the fun in the game is, for me, at least. of course, different strokes for different folks & all that, but still.
    • Like x 3