Not A Bug How to allow my daughter under 13 to play?

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Iren06r, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Iren06r New Player

I am trying to put DC Universe Online on my daughter's switch and it says her account isn't able to play. But I can't find anywhere on Daybreak's website where I can create a monitored child account or anything. In fact, she doesn't have an account at all and it is reading her Nintendo account's age. I can't change that. Is there a way around this?
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Unfortunately, there is no way around this.
    • Like x 1
  3. Eve YouTuber

I wouldn't let a child play, the in - game chat is full of swearing and racism, and the game's themes are suggestive.
    It's a great game if you're old enough and above 16, I'd say. P:
    • Like x 1
  4. Iren06r New Player

Can I not turn off the chat?
  5. Iren06r New Player

So she just can't play?
  6. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I agree. In no way would I let my daughter play this game. Maybe if there was a way I could mute all chat functions and allow her to play solo, but with this toxic community? You can forget it.
    • Like x 1
  7. Iren06r New Player

That's what I was asking, can I not just mute the chat?
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Sure you can. Just take whatever channel or channels you wish to off of whatever chat tab you prefer to use.

I'd recommend retaining "tell" and "group," and "instance," at the least, though, or you're apt to get kicked during a raid or alert for apparently ignoring everything people say to you. "Shout" doesn't need to stay if you don't want it, though.
    • Like x 1
  9. Knightmare Active Player

Basically what MsTikcle said, there are ways around the profanity and immaturity. explore the chat filter options and creating tabs which are a bit more child friendly.
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

If it isn't clear, you do this via your Settings.
  11. Medicine Active Player

How many years under age? 13 is already a pretty low age, if you remember that people with an age of 40 whatever playing this. The age isn´t shown ingame, which means there will be people talking about sex, the life itself etc. Note: In the young ages we learn the most from other people, let´s see she find connection to people living satanism or anything else. Also, spend the time with her together to do some cool things, my dad didn´t cared when i grow up. Now im giving a **** about him, im unsure if you wanna experience the same. We only life once, and she only life once.

As Mepps (Game Master) already said, you´re not allowed to play under an age of 13.
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Specifically this is the case on Switch.
    • Like x 1
  13. Danne0075 Well-Known Player

Depends how young the person is really. Me and many others started playing the game back when we were 12 and years later now we're all 18, 19. Of course if its someone that is under 12 I wouldn't recommend playing this game but really 12 upwards shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughout my years of playing I've also met a lot of players that play with their kids where the parents usually have a child that is around the age of 8 - 10 and they have been playing together. Maybe thats an option for you? Either way any online game will always be harmful for children so you can't really bypass that part but maybe make it less impact full like others did mention by removing certain chat channels.
    • Like x 1
  14. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

you can totally mute the chat.
  15. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Yes, heaven forbid she learn anything from a philosophy that preaches independence, self-reliance, and respect for other people's autonomy...
    • Like x 2
  16. Medicine Active Player

Positive and negative will always coexist, she shouldn’t have to deal with that yet.
  17. Hraesvelg Always Right

Somehow I don't think they're thinking of Satanism in the modern, Church of Satan regard. More like the black cats and playing Dungeons and Dragons variety, LOL.
    • Like x 1
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I'm more commenting on your "I learned about Satanism from Jerry Falwell" commentary. You really might try actually looking up what the CoS does these days. Much better track record than Catholicism and they're definitely more accepting than *points at Westboro*. Modern-era Christianity sent people to protest at funerals and crap on other people's rights, that's like the tip of the iceberg. Not a lot of Satanists doing that.
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Yeah, shrug, not knowing what a Satanist actually is these days is tantamount to saying "the world is flat"?

It takes five seconds to find out otherwise; and considering the "other team's" track record right now, well.
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

all of that aside;

I think you could have a kid, even a young kid, play DCUO and enjoy the experience without it being damaging, provided that you used the chat isolation functionality (namely, turn it off) and maybe had a small league to run with, that way the personal character contact remains positive, at least until they get their feet underneath them.