Acquiring Op items or should I say not.....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CrappyHeals, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Proxystar #Perception

I spend time on these pixels to get enjoyment and entertainment which is transient and fleeting, I don't spend time on these pixels to build a make believe pool of wealth ;)
    • Like x 2
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

More power to you. I don't just sit on vast piles of cash like a dragon, I use it so that I can acquire items that enhance my entertainment, like feats, OP items, and style items I want to wear. To each his or her own. I'm not saying everyone has to ENJOY every aspect of the game. I don't enjoy LPvE AT ALL, but I'm not in all of the LPvE threads saying it should be removed or saying I should get all of the feats just because I don't enjoy it or have an "I win" button. I think that's the part that irritates me the most. There's rarely a person going into those deep, wonk-filled game theory posts about PvP mechanics or telling the people that make spreadsheets and videos about weapon damage that "LOL, this r a game and pixels.". The broker is it's own area of gameplay.
    • Like x 1
  3. The Anxient Loyal Player

Finding the occasional quick flip on the broker is much different than buying every single piece of an item and resetting the value between double and triple the original price. You are screwing over the entire player base just so you can line your pockets. What you are doing is just as detrimental as many of the exploits that have occurred in the past.
    • Like x 1
  4. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

Says the guy who got a free op neck from using an unintended method and posted it on the forums so noone could use it after you lol
    I don't care if people know the methods. If you have a slow reaction time, it doesn't matter. If you're on the wrong platform/console, it doesn't matter. If you can't be on at certain times of the day, it doesn't matter. If you don't have the money to even buy or list the items, it doesn't matter. If you're not patient and can spend hours on end at the broker, it doesn't matter. If you're in a league that runs content/feats constantly, it doesn't matter. If you have lag, it doesn't matter. You're not a threat. Maybe hero side trade chat is just too cluttered with scammers to where you miss daily posts like we have villain side of people saying things like "Thanks for the Dark Material for $1 LOL". Surprised your father hasn't banned you from posting on the forums after your last few mishaps of gloating and getting something patched. Last person I want to hear criticism from is a problem child xD
    • Like x 2
  5. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

The 10 people who bought my Luthor's would beg to differ. As well as the people who paid a bil for the vendor collection while it was tradeable.
    • Like x 1
  6. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

And time capsules aren't gambling, they're surprise mechanics :D
  7. Hraesvelg Always Right

This is what people aren't getting. These items are SELLING. And item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. The market sets its own prices. We really need to be teaching Intro to Econ at the high school level.
    • Like x 1
  8. The Anxient Loyal Player

Those 10 people could have had it at actual market value. Instead they paid more because you decided to be toxic.
  9. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

So, if I put a Rubber Chicken for a bil and it sold, would I still be toxic? Would I still be the problem?
  10. The Anxient Loyal Player

Completely different scenario. Rubber chickens aren't in demand as an op collection. You know what you are doing and the game would be better if you and all like you quit.
    • Like x 1
  11. Hraesvelg Always Right

The price someone is willing to pay = actual market value, not "market value I made up in my own head because reasons".
    • Like x 1
  12. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

So something optional in the game makes a difference? Hmmmm. What if I bought out every dark electrum in the broker rn, and listed a single one for 1bil. Would I be toxic/a problem if it sold? And don't you dare say a dark electrum isn't in demand more than the Luthor.
    • Like x 1
  13. Dene Devoted Player

Correct

but both sides of this argument are treating it as real.. not just one
  14. Dene Devoted Player

it would not sell

because people are not willing to pay that much for it OR that may work once but then as soon as more got them as drops it wouldn't work again
  15. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

Mhm. And there would be mockery if any person was caught buying a Dark Electrum for 1bil. They wouldn't blame the seller, they'd blame the buyer for just not waiting.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Don't take me the wrong way I understand why you're earning money in game, I'm not broke in game either btw, I just have a clear distinction in my mind between what is real and what is not real, everything in this game is "make believe" and somewhat that is the point, it's why it's entertainment in the first place. That's why it wouldn't bother me if they reset the cash despite me having an abundance, sure I've earned it, but none of it is real.

And for what its worth I'd say the same about someone making excessive spreadsheets, when does this game no longer become about entertainment and enjoyment and move in to obsession and almost unpaid employment like attributes, the latter in my mind probably indicates the player needs to reflect ;)
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

A valid point, indeed.

I think I just sympathise with the side that feels locked out of an "entertainment" item because of an economy in game that has numerous broken elements and then people attempting to preserve it as if it were the difference between them being fed or not or like their DCUO cash is being collected in some form of pseudo real life investment.
    • Like x 2
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Surprise! you just got your 10th pair of Batman hands!
    • Like x 1
  19. Hraesvelg Always Right

The thing is...some of us LIKE spreadsheets and economics. I get a nice and similiar bit of endorphin kick when a feat dings or an item I've flipped sells for a decent amount. I also understand that some people don't have the same enjoyment. The broker is an ALTERNATIVE METHOD to getting something to drop naturally. By all means, if someone wants to run the solo 150 times to get a natural, be my guest. If the basic arguments were "there isn't enough supply, the drop rates should be better" I'm a LOT more sympathetic to that than "let's wipe the cash."

I think the problem I have with the cash wipe arguments is just taking away money WON'T magically make everything gumdrops and rainbows. It really is, at the base of it, supply and demand. RNG sets the supply, player desire sets the demand. As long as we can trade objects/cash, this dynamic will always exist.

It is almost exactly like saying, "Listen, we know you've worked at this system for nine years, but...there are people that don't understand how to do combos and are just joining the game. We're going to take away all of your skillpoints and gear and everyone starts fresh! But going forward, the same basic progression system will exist, so all of the problems that you see as existing now will just happen again, but...well...WE DID WHAT YOU WANT."
    • Like x 1
  20. The Anxient Loyal Player

Dark electrum drop at the end of the solo alert etc. So no not nearly as much demand since supply is much more plentiful.