Could we see some variety again?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Saint Nutella, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Hi everyone. Took an extended break (7 months+) from the game to try some other games plus life and I returned to try the game out for a bit. So far, I think the story is great and that the game is generally on the right track in terms of PvE lore, at least in my opinion. That said, the format is becoming tiring and it seems that the options for gameplay outside of the current PvE storyline are becoming more and more narrow. TL;DR at the bottom.

Yes there are events that run pretty much every month (October, December, January-May, July-August have active events IIRC) but they're generally the same as they were the previous year. Little to no content variations and after multiple years (in my case, roughly 7) it gets boring. I suggest adding new open world activities with the events. Maybe change the storyline or at least where it takes place?

I suggest expanding on things that made people (can't speak for everyone but most of my friends feel the same) stay logged on for more than just an hour or two just to complete dailies/weeklies. For example, bring back races perhaps? Expand on those. There are so many good maps that could be fun to race on. Include multiplayer races for each movement mode (for example, race for people with flight/skimmers, race for speedsters, etc).

I know you have made it crystal clear that PvP is not anywhere near as important as PvE in this game but I still suggest working on it. What I don't understand about some MMOs is how they start with a great PvP system and end up neglecting it in the future. I understand that balance is a struggle, especially for a game like this, but there are blatant issues in PvP that have even been highlighted in videos that were requested as helpful evidence. On top of balance, different game modes would be nice. The same game modes have been there for the last several years. For example, adding a "capture the flag" would be nice. I don't know the full depth of the financial aspect in trying to fix PvP but I do think it would bring back and attract many players. And now that the game has been released on the Switch, it seems like a good opportunity to work on PvP especially considering how popular player based competition is on that console as well (Mario Kart, Smash Bros). Players who loved PvP didn't only play PvP. Some of us would often play both PvP and PvE pretty equally (and would spend additional money on the marketplace) but when one entire side of the game is neglected, it makes it substantially less fun.

Bring back survival mode-and make it permanent. I have never really understood why survival mode was just something that came and went rather than something that remained in the game.

Change the format of PvE to keep it fresh please. It seems that for every DLC since Amazon Fury III, the episodes have had the same format. A solo/duo, alert, two raids, kill X amount in open world. Not much else that stood out from a particular episode unless it was an entirely different map (such as Titan Island or Atlantis, which I greatly appreciated). But I think some variety would be good here. The format in which the instanced missions (duos, raids, etc) are released does not bother me much but open world activities seem especially dull sometimes, especially the "kill X amount of NPCs."

I don't know how hard this would be, but adding in some world bosses that everyone can participate in would be super fun in my opinion. Almost like when a developer would invade the Watchtower, Metropolis, etc and everyone would join in on the fight.

TL;DR- Please expand on other things so that there is more to do than just farm for artifacts or play the current storyline. Expand on Survival Mode, PvP, races, and events. Change the format in which PvE content is released.
    • Like x 7
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

My number one fear is that posts like these will lead to a resurgence of two alert, three raid episodes. I hated those. A lot.
    • Like x 3
  3. Raven Roth Committed Player

Yes, I loved AF2 for doing that
    • Like x 3
  4. Irvynnge Loyal Player

same here. I'm more of a solo player, I like to poodle along at my own pace doing my own little thing in my own little corner of the DC universe. I'll mainly do alerts & raids just to clear them from my journal, but, ordinarily, I much prefer to be left alone. miserable old g*t that I am.
    • Like x 3
  5. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I don't mean to be insensitive because I definitely understand but IMO MMOs should promote multiplayer interaction more. I personally think emphasis on solo play sort of defeats the purpose of an MMO.
    • Like x 3
  6. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i don't know, i've seen a select few MMO's pull off mostly solo play/plot lines before, and they're not too bad. if we had a proper educative tutorial for once i'd perhaps have a better outlook on the concept of raids with 7 complete strangers, but as it stands both from a preferential and lore stand point i can't see why we even have majority multi-player content, as i mentioned in another thread it's not like most heroes collaborate with the league all the time anyways and villains usually stab each other in the back.
    • Like x 1
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Show me the non-MMO version of this game and I’ll go play that instead. ;) What’s that, there isn’t one? Then I don’t care about what an MMO “should” be. :p
    • Like x 1
  8. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I never minded those much (even though duos are my favorite types of instance) but I certainly don't intend on trying to promote that sort of format. In fact, I'm against them doing only that.

My biggest thing is that the game is beginning to feel somewhat stale. It's the same mostly rehashed maps with different skins, bosses with some sort of one shot mechanic, and it's the same set up (1 duo/solo, alert, a couple of raids, kill hundreds of NPCs for weekly). Now, I don't have a problem with the instances themselves as the mechanics (IMO) are generally pretty fun and improving but the structure of the content is getting repetitive and predictable. Not to mention there's little to do outside of the current storyline unless you have lower CR.
    • Like x 1
  9. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

No need to be snarky. Like I said, I'm not against solo content. I just don't think it should be prioritized or even equal in value) to multiplayer content.
  10. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Deff not a fan of the 2 alert and 3 raid setup. I prefer two duos, an alert, and two raids. Or hell, even 3 duos, no alert, and 2 raids. Im down for that as it would make completing that content easy (not difficulty wise, but group set up wise) Make the difficulty hard in the duos, like challenging. Something different. I know Charon can do it.
    • Like x 1
  11. Irvynnge Loyal Player

eh, fair enough, you play your way & I'll play mine. s'all good. though, maybe if the community in this game in general weren't such a bunch of nasty-spirited big-mouthed arrogant little toerags, I might feel more inclined to take part in the larger content. as it stands, I'd rather sit through Captain Marvel again or punch myself repeatedly in the face than have my day soured over & over by these people again & again & again. actually, I'll probably go with the punching myself repeatedly in the face. I'm not sitting through Captain Marvel again.
    • Like x 1
  12. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

That's fair. Definitely have some exceedingly disrespectful and immature players in this game.
    • Like x 1
  13. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i'm more in the "quality" versus "quantity" camp. doesn't matter what the content is i want it to be good. thats not really something you can measure. you either have "it" or you don't and it also tends to be subjective. what can we do to make things more exciting and unfamiliar.

in the other thread i stated i think it would have been cool if the map from the MoM raid was also used as our open world base of operations. where we get and do our daily missions. i could easily see a daily mission where you have to go rescue a family from a fire. bigger heroes are too busy, fire broke out, they need immediate assistance. go out to the open world, find your house on fire and fend off those metal-heads and rescue the family. Seems the fearsome five is taking advantage of all the chaos and is trying to knock off Gotham savings~fly out and prevent it. There...we finally have a foil a bank robbery missions, there could be a little unpredictability in which of the five we face. Could have been one of those finish five missions to open a special mission up...Solo content and open world content from Home Turf, Amazon Fury, Halls of Power and War of the Light was pretty varied. We need that back.

How about some new feats with a little thought behind them:

"8 is great". disarm 8 riddler boxes in a row without having any explode- 10 points.
    "8th world wonder". compete the disarm riddler box mission 8 times without having any explode-10 points
    "8 is enough". disarm 8 riddler boxes each day without losing any 8 days in a row.

i don't mind reusing maps and characters but theres a way to put it all together. I always use the Origin Crisis operations as a key example. Those two alerts were amazing. There was a sense of danger and urgency. You were all over the place. traveling through time.Central city, alternate versions of gotham and metropolis, you had two iconics running around to chase, evil versions of superman and batman. lets get that kind of energy going again.