Been practicing, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Feb 19, 2016.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you so much for that. I really appreciate it. This whole art/comics thing has turned into something very fulfilling for me. Comments like this really keep me going. Thank you.
    • Like x 1
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Was scrolling down the WIP images, thinking each looked great, and then got to the Finished Product and Golly Gee Wow! Fantastic work again :D
  3. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hey All,

Just wanted to share the latest Syd drawing I was working on. I hope you are all doing well. Would love to hear your feedback about this one.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hey all. I wanted to show some things I have been working on and give an update to some things going on in the ol' Dork Arts Studio.

First, I had a chance to do some fan art for a guy who did some fan art pieces for me. His handle on Instagram is - Daki.art , an amazing artist and this is his OC Medusa (story is a spin on the Greek Mythology tale to the character of the same name)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here is a Bernie piece I did a little while ago. I know in many of the pieces I have done, I need to work on my air brushing a little as it still feels splotchy in many ways. Still trying to refine the use of some of the blending modes as well to create the effects I am working on.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  5. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Also, I had a chance to draw some friend's DnD characters and I thought it might be fun to do the one I used to play. This is Tolak, my half Orc Monk. I might be getting in on some one or two shot campaigns with some friends and have the d20 roll on this guy again.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here is one I did of Ann recently showing off some of her new mental abilities (still working on how she acquires them - again, I know I need to work on the air brushing/lighting)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And lastly, I signed up for the 24 Hour Comic Day coming in October. For those who are unfamiliar with this, this is a challenge within the art/comics world where events are held across the country and artist sign up and the challenge is to create 24 finished comic pages in 24 hours. Here is the character I am drawing (this is a rough working idea for him as he appears in a drawing I did of Syd some time ago) the story will ultimately lead up to the scene he appeared in with her. I haven't named him yet. I see his personality somewhere between Howard the Duck and the Pug from M.I.B.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I would love any feedback on any of this stuff. Hope everyone is doing well.
    • Like x 2
  6. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Just wanted to share some things I have been doing. I'm getting ready for the 24 Hour Comic Day next Saturday and feeling excited about it. I did go in and update the old cover to Bernie's first book (Before and After here) and then I did the cover for Syd's book. Would love to hear any input/feedback. Thanks for looking. Ms. Benz and Mr. Nomad, I do know have stories to read from you both and plan to get caught up soon.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Bern
    Long time no see. I got to say, I am digging the cover for Bern and Syd's comic. Bern's in particular really catches the eye. As for Syd, it looks good but I think its missing something. I don't know what but I think you could take some inspiration from the Magic the Gathering Chandra comics.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you very much Ms. Benz. I agree about Syd's cover. This was V2.1 of it. The more I have looked at it, the more I do think that Drazeel in the back needs to be more than a floating head. I do like the idea from the cover you showed me here. I am probably going to re-draw the cover and make him a fuller figure. I do want to make Syd the primary figure on the cover though. I will think of something, but yeah, I agree it feels a little too empty. Thank you for the feedback.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

No problem Bern. Just wanted to provide some input for you. It was just the way you had Syd and Drazeel that it reminded me of the CHANDRA comics. Plus there are other covers from that series that can give you some idea to work off from
    [IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

So I dialed back the glow and lighting effects on the new cover. Just wanted to share
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
  13. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello All,

I haven't been around much (i know I have stories to catch up on). Wife had our daughter back in November and work has been adding the hustle and bustle of life. Things are good, wife and daughter are both doing very well. I did want to share that I finished the 2nd book (Sydney's). Here is the Variant cover I did with some un-lettered interior pages.

I am doing an indiegogo to help get the book out to others. If you would like to take a look at it, head over to my Instagram page @DorkArtsStudio (link in the bio there). Lots of different options and I have a few posts with some extra goodies for those who are the first to back as certain levels. I hope you are all well.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    Hey there Bern. Congratulations with your daughter. I'm glad you're doing well. All the best for you and the family. I see the comic is coming through nicely. Will definitely check the Instagram page
  15. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello All,
    Just wanted to share the Drazeel piece I did recently. This was one I was initially nervous about as I didn't think it would turn out that good. I was pleasantly surprised. Have a look. Initial scribble sketch and progress pics here

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Bern
    That Drazeel piece is looking nice. I love the transition from sketch to the final piece. Does this mean he will be getting his own comic?
    [IMG]
  17. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hey all, I hope you are all well. I just wanted to share a recent Bernie piece I worked on. I really like how it turned out. Might use it as a cover for a new book I am working on. Progress pics here. Let me know what you think if you would like.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  18. noahenholm New Player

Same bro
    Artist is real genious
    • Like x 1
  19. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

So, it's been a while. I hope you are all well. I wanted to share this as I am really excited (and nervous). I've been working on my art and comics for a while now and finally made the jump into the land of Comic Con's. My first con will be this coming November (5th, 6th and 7th) at Rhode Island Comic Con.

I don't know where you all are in the country (or world). But if you happen to be in the Providence, RI area on that weekend, come by and say hey.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello All,

It's been a little bit. Hope everyone is well. I have been chipping away at the whole drawing and making comics thing. I wanted to share some recent pieces I finished and feel pretty good about:

Thus far:
    4 comics done and working on the 5th
    Did a comic con recently and planning to attend another in '23.

If you'd like to know anything about the comics or art, feel free to let me know.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]