Can anybody tell me whats the difference between...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Luke©, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Luke© Well-Known Player

... playing as DD or Tank? I just compared the stats between my (only role focused not gear!!!) Tank and DPS. The only difference was the "defense" which was like 100% more (doubled).
    So, why does not every DPS (who has Tank role) just play in Tank role? If there is no might buff in DPS role, BUT a defense buff in Tank role, i don't see a reason for playing in DPS role^^
    Or is there some hidden boost?
  2. Rainnifer Committed Player

I thought DPS role did have like a 10% boost to damage, but some Powers do extra damage or different things depending on the role you are in. Not to mention artifacts and other things that require you to be in the correct roles for the setup you want.
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Did you also look at your stats while in combat? Did you check your stats while wearing DPS gear against Tank gear?
    • Like x 1
  4. VariableFire Loyal Player

...I really hope you never do any group content, at all, including open world, if you can't tell the difference between the two.
  5. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

Reinheld wya?? come through with the logic for this fella:D
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If you used just a little reading comprehension and a lot less hostility you would easily see that the OP is obviously new to the game. Instead of steering them in the right direction you choose to belittle this person?? Thanks for contributing to the toxicity.

To FehlerlmSystem... Tanks are meant to take punishment for the team, hence the big defence boost. Conversely Damage Dealers are optimized to put out damage primarily. There are a few tank powers that can actually deal DPS level Damage while in Tank role, but that's best left to people who are experienced at tanking. Now if you're running solo or doing open world content, running in tank role is an excellent way to get things done while boosting your survivability.

Someone should come along soon and point you to some videos or guides to get you up to speed (I'd do it myself but I'm typing from my phone at work).
    • Like x 5
  7. Yaiba Committed Player

OP is not new player, he beat r30 with his battle tank build...
  8. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Thank you for the correction. I guess this is some type of troll thread...???
    • Like x 2
  9. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Some hidden reason? No but I think you should take some time and check things a bit closer. The huge difference in damage output and the amount of time it take to accomplish things. I have several tanks and as you suggest I have done thing in Tank versus DPS mode Hey I even have a couple "battle" tanks with some DPS and some Tank gear to give more defense overall but better damage output. While it may not look much different when you just pull up you stats trust me a tank does nor do as much damage per second as a DPS and you will spend more time taking out mobs.

If YOU have the time and are happy with that it is fine but a lot of players only have a certain amount of time in a day or a week to be in game so spending 2 or 3 times as long to finish one mission cuts down on what they accomplish. They want things fast so they can get more done.
  10. Luke© Well-Known Player

00:00 - Gear and artifacts/augments
    00:33 - Stats in DPS role
    00:41 - Stats in Tank role
    00:51 - Tank Role Buff
    00:56 - DPS Role Fighting
    01:28 - Tank Role Fighting

Responding
    After searching kinda everywhere where this 10% boost is written down. Found it in the level 10 information. In this case you're right. But the 3 artifacts i wear aren't affected, beside the eye of gemini, but in a positive effect even (SC charging for group)

Yea, checked it, combat didnt change the stats.

How rude^^ You better hope we never meet ingame, ever.

You're correct. Tanks - with Tank gear! - are made for take punishment for the team, as you said. But i'm talking about playing "dps" just in Tank role, just for more defense, so ppl don't die so fast. The damage difference is not that big , as you can probably see in the video. Maybe i'm wrong?

Did i?^^

It's not that much slower, if you're 100% dps geared and skilled, the difference is very low + you have more defense.

Beside: no reasons to be so aggressive :p
  11. Rainnifer Committed Player

From seeing the video, I understand a little more now. Have you tested with a might build? I mentioned Powers do different things depending on your role, I don't think a might dps in tank role would be as good as they can be in dps role. With precision though, the powers you use don't entirely matter. Another note is that if you are in Tank role you're more likely to be targeted, just DPSing in Tank role could possibly leave you vulnerable enough without your tank powers to help protect you from all the attacks.
  12. Luke© Well-Known Player

Didn't test for might yet, don't have the artifacts^^ But you're right, it's a risk bcs normal skills pull aggro (written down in level 10 information for tanks) Tank's (with gear) can only react with stronger single target pulls. So "Battle Tank" only good for bosses, no add phases ))
  13. Rainnifer Committed Player

With those points you have answered your original questions on why people with tank roles would also use dps role.
  14. Anri Myst Active Player

Your powers have different effects bsed on your role, and that will make a difference. It will say what each role gets from the power on the tool tip when you are sorting your loadout.

As an example, as a troll you can debuff enemy armour, or attack strength or recover power for the team as long as you are in troll role, if you are in dps you won't get those bonuses. Instead you do more damage overall, and probably some damage over time.
  15. VariableFire Loyal Player

Do you have any idea how many terrible tanks there are that get it into their head to always play tank mode because of thinking like this, thinking usually perpetrated by vets? Any idea how frustrating it is to have adds and targets move in a manner that screws the group, even in open world (Non-feat Shogg runs anyone?).

I'd rather a terrible DPS over a terrible Tank. Terrible DPS can typically be compensated for. Terrible Tanks, like the ones that sit right next to every other player, can't.
  16. spack2k Steadfast Player

ye the damage difference is just about 10% which is a nice trade for 100% defence buff if u intend to melee dps but the other tank in the group would need to run a taunt ability besides pulls and most tanks dont run both on loadout, usually is one or the other.