The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So here is the teaser for the upcoming OVA, Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    In regards to an anime I recommend and to be honest I forgot to continue to watch because of the amount of anime out there, I decided to catch up with season 3 of Attack on Titan. So I binged through Season 1 and 2 and have finally caught up but now darn it, I need the next episode :mad:
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's the way it usually ends up working for favorite ongoing shows, isn't it? LOL Happened with me and the Overlord series more than once.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ok, the teacher in We Never Learn got some more attention in this week's episode, and while she isn't quite in the "best girl" spot for me yet she definitely earned some points in that direction. She had some good moments (humor and character development) in this week's show, so Bendmetal's argument is starting to gain some traction. :D

But more importantly? After nine episodes the purple-haired girl from all the promo artwork is FINALLY going to make her appearance next week! :eek:
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hmmm, seems as though Netflix has stirred up some anime fans with how they handled bringing Evangelion to their service.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/25/netflix-evangelion-changes

I can get the new dub cast being a subjective thing, but changing the dialogue in the big exchange between Shinji and Kaworu? Yeah, that really wasn't the best way to go, considering how significant the exchange was and what a touchstone it was for so many fans of the show.
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So three shows I watched have finished up.

Wise Man's Grandchild is what I'll hit first. Not a bad isekai show overall, but it could have been better. It had some fun moments as well as some serious stuff, but the shifts in tone between the two were really jarring. You had some serious threats introduced (demonoids and a main villain who could use a person's anger to turn someone into a demonoid) but a lot of it got put on the back burner. You'd have episodes where it's the wacky hijinks of Shin and his friends with the dangerous threats mentioned like "oh, and this is what the bad guy is up to." It's like they tried to have it both ways but didn't quite pull it off. Like I said, it's not bad overall and way better than some of the other isekai shows that have come along (looking at YOU, In Another World with My Smartphone), but there's better stuff out there.

The Helpful Fox Senko-San is next. Like I figured, it was a "happy food" kind of show. Cute stuff, comforting messages and just a touch of frowning on the "grind up the worker" culture that can take place (tough to call it a full-out indictment). Funimation did do a dub of the show and while the casting was decent I stuck to the original Japanese, mainly because the Japanese voice for Senko was just adorable. I think the creators had a little fun pushing the line on situations with Senko considering she looks VERY child-like, but at the same time they went out of their way repeatedly to point out that she's 800 years old so there's that to take into account. Not a bad show overall, though. I don't know if it will make it into my collection, but I don't feel it was a waste of my time.

Finally, there's the fanservice show Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? It's a short format show (15 minute episodes) with four groups of stories following four students as they keep meeting their teachers in awkward/compromising/romantic situations. There is something of a bit of sweetness to the show as the relationships develop, but there's still the whole "teacher/student" hurdle in place that may turn some off. It's also one that's been done to try and sell videos, as the broadcast dub would at times obscure pretty much the whole freaking screen to hide the naughty bits that were being shown. It's okay, but with the edits the fanservice kind of falls flat.

As for other shows, I gave up on YU-NO and Fairy gone. For whatever reason those shows just didn't hold my attention, even though they had at least a little promise to them. On the "pleasantly surprising" side, though, I found out We Never Learn: BOKUBEN is continuing into the summer season so I have that to look forward to.

Now if I can just figure out how random episodes of Aquarion EVOL and One Piece ended up in my "Continue Watching" list on Funimation…..:confused:
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Aaaand now I'm all kinds of confused. :confused:

So I mentioned Funimation listing We Never Learn going into the summer season. But ANN just posted a story that a second season is coming in October.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...uben-anime-gets-2nd-season-in-october/.148430

On top of that, they start the article saying the "13th and final episode" revealed the new season.

And I was looking forward to more fun with that show over the summer. Nuts.
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Spiffy, Funimation is going to be partnering with Nozomi Entertainment for some streaming. Why so spiffy?

Funimation will be streaming Boogiepop Phantom and Revolutionary Girl Utena, among other titles. Definitely nothing to sneeze at. :D

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ounce-partnership-for-anime-streaming/.148671

Plus, the studio that animated the second season of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU is returning for the third season, which comes next year.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...edy-snafu-tv-anime-3rd-season-in-2020/.148647

Yeah, with Anime Expo going on this weekend, there's probably gonna be more big announcements. LOL
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

11. DCUO Post Loyal Player

• Like x 3
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

How did something like this not happen sooner? The original art style works far better for a CGI project than I imagined. It kind of makes me wonder if something like One Piece with its own distinct and exaggerated styles could work just as well.
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

14. myandria Item Storage

Oh my... I actually like how it looks for CGI!

Thank goodness SOMEONE was smart enough to keep it away from live action film!
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think the smoothness of the animation is a big part of what works, but for me it's the expressions the characters show. They're perfect for each character without being over the top or looking too artificial (which can be a problem with some CGI projects).

I'm not a die-hard Lupin fan by any means, but that's a project I'd love to sit down and watch.
    • Like x 1
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

One episode into the new season of Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon and I'm already loving it. :D

The character interactions at Apollo's party were great (Asfi's elbow shot, Miach and Mikoto giving Bell some help and Freya asking about a herd were highlights for me) and the gauntlet thrown down to start off the conflict for this first arc was well done (if not a little obvious lol).

Speaking of Freya, it'll be very interesting to see what part she might play in Apollo's plans. Given her own interest in Bell you KNOW she isn't just going to sit on the sidelines and watch unless she's somehow forced to do so.

As for other shows, so far I'm checking out
    • Fire Force
    • Magical Sempai
    • How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
    • Demon Lord, Retry!
    • Hensuki
    • Arifureta
    • Isekai Cheat Magician
    • The Demon Girl Next Door
    • Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-target Attacks?

Man, there are a lot of shows with super long titles. :confused: Hensuki and Arifureta have some long titles as well but there's only so much a person can type. LOL

Anyhow, right now Demon Lord, Retry! and The Demon Girl Next Door are bubble titles for me, as I'm not sure they're going to have lasting appeal for me. I'm not sure how well Demon Girl Next Door's humor is going to last over the season, and Demon Lord, Retry! had a REALLY shaky second episode in terms of the art. Normally I don't take too much notice when the art quality falters in a show, but it was bad enough that it was a distraction while watching the episode.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

18. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Also the one I have been hoping for years to become a anime is A Certain Scienctific Accelerator. Episode 1 was outstanding to say the least
  19. myandria Item Storage

20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think what makes it so shocking and unbelievable is the kind of work they put out. So many of their productions are absolutely gorgeous and full of heart and artistry, so someone wanting to do such a thing to that studio and those who worked there is just heartbreaking.
    • Like x 1