Been practicing, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Feb 19, 2016.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you very much. This has been something that I have been working on for a little while now. I appreciate the kind words.
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't have any personal experience with art (other than enjoying others' efforts), butt believe the best method should be the one that is easiest for you
    • Like x 1
  3. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

So here is the finished page in its stages. I think i am going to redo/undo the gradients in the middle and do a different color/pattern. I'm just not comfortable with how it is.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Did a little playing around in Krita last night with a picture of The Maxx by an artist name Kyle Strahm. Working on getting more comfortable with the various brushes and what they can do as well as how to utilize the blending modes better. All in all I like how it turned out. That's all, just wanted to share.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You coloured it? That looks very good
    • Like x 1
  6. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

That I did and thank you for that. That means a lot. Yeah, I was looking for some stuff to practice some things coloring wise and was looking for images online, came across this one by the above named artist and this was the results. I wanted to try separating some things out and playing with the opacity of things and isolate various parts to toy around with blending modes a bit.
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have seen a few colourized (and even inked) drawings on dA; some have been great, some not so great, yours... is one of the greats
    Specially the use of the 'highlights' or 'sheen' (on the teeth for example) as opposed to leaving it 'flat'

People who think it's easy to colour have no idea how difficult it really is (not that have personal experience, just that it looks way harder than just knowing how to 'colour within the lines', and that's if you can decide on a good colour to start with :D)
    • Like x 1
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I appreciate that. I agree about the coloring comment. Having gone through making my first comic and doing it all myself, I have A LOT of respect for colorists and their respective processes (not that I thought poorly of them to begin with, just didn't know what the process entailed). It was a undertaking doing the stuff that I shlept out. I cant imagine coloring pieces by people who actually know what they are doing.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, those who are able to colour a full comic are truly gifted, specially if they are the one doing the whole thing
    • Like x 1
  10. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello All. Just wanted to share the latest piece i worked on. Getting a handle on Krita a little more and its layers and blending modes. I hope you are all well. Let me know what you think if you feel so inclined. Thanks

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Looks great, even though it is above me, still nice to see the process from rough pencil to finished (colourized) product :D
    • Like x 1
  12. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Much appreciated friend. I do like showing the stages to the work. This whole art thing has turned into something really fulfilling for me. Between that and my actual work, it limits how much time I can come around here and hang out with you all. Glad to see some names still popping up and are around. Yourself included sir.
  13. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Also recently had a go at coloring this character from Artist Stef Wilson of BadKerryStudios on instagram. I like how the shading and lighting turned out with this one.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh, she looks delicious! Likening the glow you added to her hands :D
    • Like x 1
  15. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Yeah, her character and style has a certain way of grabbing ones attentions through awareness of her feminine charms. I like playing around with the glow brush. this piece helped me to better understand some where light is going to hit the body and cast shines and such. Bit by bit this is getting a little easier.
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I got to say Bern, you are really demonstrating how good your drawing and coloring has improved to this point. I'm happy for you. You should really start doing requests like they do in Deviantart ;) Hats off to you good sir.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  17. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

[IMG]
    Thank you very much Ms. Benz. This really has turned into something quiet meaningful for me. I am not sure where it is going to go, but I do have a 3-5 year plan to finish the first book of each of the four characters and then do an 8-10 page piece with them all together and collect it into a trade and then.....make moves to get BEHIND the table at a small con or 2 somewhere. It is nice when can look at some pages and see the improvements from the last ones, it's even nicer when kind people such as yourself take notice. It keeps me motivated and the pencil moving. I don't know about requests yet. D.A. seems like a jungle at times and I wouldn't know where to start. I am not against taking requests to color/draw/both from people. Just not sure where to start. Thank you again for the kind words and support.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Quite a few pencil slash ink art on dA seem to be Public-Access (as long as colourists link to the original)
    Start with a few, with maybe a comment stating you are new to inking slash colouring and interested in doing more
    • Like x 1
  19. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Finished a new Bernie piece and just wanted to share. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  20. IamINC Dedicated Player

Dude , you are insanely talented , I always like to check this thread out when I pop on the forums.
    • Like x 1