Bring the Sony Outage Styles to Current Players

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Marrow, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eve YouTuber

I honestly think some things should be left alone. As much as I want Cosmic material, I can't expect it to come back.
    It was a rare item and should stay this way. I do not care about old styles when new ones keep poping up anyway.
    Don't need to fight for everything.
    • Like x 2
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I would be incredibly surprised if they did go that route, in large part because of their past track record.

Even after they announced the shutdown of SWG and started throwing a whole bunch of older stuff that wasn't readily available/out of circulation in the game (namely a lot of paintings, but also never-released stuff like new lightsaber crystals), they NEVER touched the Elder Jedi rewards given to pre-NGE Jedi players. Those stayed exclusive to the Elder Jedi players even as the game was approaching the end.

If they did hand out those Hack gifts, they'd lose a LOT of goodwill from players. The last thing Daybreak needs to do is give players actual reasons to abandon and/or hate on the company.
    • Like x 1
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

thats a good attitude to have. i was around for the hack and hence have the styles (and the coveted feat). i get all the exclusive and rare item reasons. for me its about the happy~i could care less if an exclusive style becomes available to newer players because i want it and nobody else can have it. integrity went out the window a long time ago~let them actually get cake once in a while.

i would love to see the elvis styles somehow become available in game. probably the rarest style pieces in game they were only made available to people who attended soe years ago. if anything someone should take that concept and come up with something new...a starburst material, some slimline styles with those star embellishments.

if theres something in the game that i want i know how to go about getting it (and without cheating) or if i can't but not many players have been around since day one.

monetize it.
    • Like x 2
  4. High Troller Loyal Player

for someone (me and others) that had to wait 10 weeks for servers to come back and had all credit card numbers changed as a result of the hack (yes, more than one card was breached), your request is not feasible. just be happy for players like me showed back up after the hack attack to continue moving dcuo forward.
    • Like x 2
  5. Magician Dedicated Player

No. Absolutely not. This would be a bad precedence to set for things in the future. When would it stop? What would be the value of "exclusivity" when things are made available to purchase outside of the time allotted?

The next thing people will ask for is the "Vegas Baby" sequined jacket and SOE Live rewards from previous conventions. That would cheaper the value of the work taken to obtained them.

There are some items out there, such as the OG Smoke that I do not have, nor ever will have. Why? Exclusivity.

There's a reason why I wear my Vegas Baby jacket on Magician. To be different.

Not everyone needs a participation award just because you sub to the game. Sometimes, you need to be around when it's available or "lucky" enough to get the exclusive Booster Bundle item when it's released.
    • Like x 4
  6. xAcHieVeD Well-Known Player

Like I’ve said I have them already idc if they don’t come back, but let’s quit calling them “exclusive” when we wouldn’t even have gotten them if Sony didn’t get hacked. DC didn’t have to give us anything if they didn’t want to because it wasn’t their fault we couldn’t play. Also maybe some people like to cosplay as two face and cannot due to Well... there’s nothing like his eyeball in game besides the style the devs gave.
  7. Merlin2574 Well-Known Player

I wasn't around during that time. So if I am getting the gist of this correct, you want the Devs to hand out rewards to those that either WEREN'T around during that time, and/or otherwise DIDN'T suffer and miss out during the outage?

Yeah, not going to happen. Unless you somehow come up with time travel, and are able to go back and insert yourself into that troubling time, just so you can take part in some of the rewards.

But good luck with that! Just don't cause another flashpointe with that. I still blame Barry for our current predicament and having Chump in the White House. :p
    • Like x 1
  8. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Sounds like someone is hoping that The Hack becomes a recurring event instead of THE EXCLUSIVE event that it was. Let me guess - you're using someone else's credit card info to pay for your membership? Maybe someone else's identity, too? So, should another hack occur you'd have nothing to lose but maybe a new shiny or two to gain?

SOE gave these things to us old time players who were directly affected by The Hack as an exclusive "Thank You!" for staying with them and coming back after the ordeal that was The Hack. If you weren't there then you got nothing and that's how it should remain. Exclusivity is a GREAT marketing tool for MMOs. It helps bring in new players and retain old players like me who were here at the beginning. Take them away and who gives a **** about playing a cookie cutter game.

This thread's topic is a terrible idea that needs to be buried and abandoned.
    • Like x 2
  9. Marrow Active Player

The entire idea of 'exclusivity' is just a waste of breath. Nobody put in actual work to get the outage styles. They just got them for coming back. It's been years. Entire console generations have passed. Only like a handful of players have any of that stuff anymore. It's ridiculous.
  10. Hraesvelg Always Right

Your entire OP was a waste of breath. This topic has been rehashed and rehashed and rehashed every few months for YEARS.

Edit: LOL, guess I found a new filter. If you try to hash something over again, as in a "re"hash, it says "new".
    • Like x 1
  11. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Except they DID put in the work. Those players chose to come back to a game and play it when their personal credit information was compromised by the PSN hack and then again compromised by the SOE hack and server shutdown and as a Welcome Back to the game and trying to regain trust of the players they were rewarded with items.

You had no part in that, you weren't impacted; you were unsure to play the game again because of compromised information, you were negatively impacted by not being able to log on and play so why do you believe those rewards should be shared with you "just because"?
    • Like x 1
  12. Marrow Active Player

The only thing that should ever even be considered to be 'exclusive' from that is the "I survived the hack" hoodie. That's it. The rest of these items? The Two-Face mask? The atomic parts? They're not relevant. They're not thematically related to the hack. There's nothing about them that say "I survived the hack". They're just locked off style items for an irrelevant reason. Exclusivity for those items is nonsensical at best and toxic at worst.
  13. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Gifts don't have to have themes or connections between them. The "theme" was DCUO which a two-face mask would fall under anyways.

It comes down to rationale behind the argument about leaving them the way they have been since 2011 or bringing them back. The logical, current precedent rationale is that these items just like every other similar item has remained exclusive because the reasons behind them being exclusive in the first place were clearly outlined. The nonsensical and toxic rationale, which is your point of view, is that they should no longer be exclusive because "you want them" and that's about the only reason. Being able to charge the community for said items as a means to make profit is a fruitless argument because they could release any numbers of items to make money like they did the Cowl Packs or the Hairstyles pack and make even more money from the community at any time. If they released a Beard:Facial Hair Style for $20 im sure players would be lining up to buy it vs you wanting the two-face face.
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Actually, the devs deciding to add the Batman/Two-Face items as "welcome back/we're sorry" goodwill gifts for returning from the Hack makes them pretty much scream being a survivor of the hack. Same way the Elder Jedi robes in SWG let others know that the person wearing those robes had managed to unlock being a Jedi before the NGE. Those items were/are visual shorthand because they were gifts associated with those events.

Handing out those gifts to those who weren't around or qualified to receive them would essentially turn the goodwill behind giving those gifts to ash, and would be far more toxic (for the game and the company's reputation) than maintaining the exclusivity.
    • Like x 1
  15. Hraesvelg Always Right

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  17. Marrow Active Player

Nah, the only toxicity are the people who'd genuinely believe they're the only ones obligated to exclusivity because of an event that happened over an entire console generation ago.
  18. Allan Yaell New Player

ok
    • Like x 1
  19. Rainnifer Committed Player

They aren't wrong though. It was their right to those styles, not yours. The styles were given "exclusively" to them and not you, you're just going to have to deal with it.
    • Like x 3
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

What's ridiculous is the mental gymnastic that self-entitled players go through to try to justify getting items in this game when they were given specifically for a reason. Yeah, nobody "worked" to get the outage styles...they just displayed loyalty to DCUO/S.O.E. at a time when many players lost trust that their information could be kept safe. Many people stopped playing their PS3s and sold/traded them for X-Boxes or just played on a PC. DCUO could have been crushed by the loss of players, but many came back. DCUO/S.O.E. decided to take it upon themselves to repay that loyalty with exclusive items for sticking it out when nobody would have blamed them for leaving. Those style items and the feat points handed out belong to those people of that time period only.

You want a two-face style, wait till Halloween for the similar style on the Halloween vendor. Outside of that you're barking up the wrong tree.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.