Mental Battle Trolling...Is it Possible??

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Belthazur, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Belthazur Dedicated Player

I have always been a Pure Troll since Mental is not THE best on Dps (for me at lest).
    Since SM Was Launched i was skeptical about it but LOVING it and Surprise Surprise I am a SM Convert,

So I thought it was time to Reach out and see if i could get some help from my Mental Friends..
    I would LOVE to do a Battle Troll for Mental and maybe even Spice up the Dps side a bit.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i don't know about "battle trolling" but i do know i can do as much damage in controller role as i can in damage role.

i consider that more "mental is broken and its dps was over nerfed during the revamp process" over "hey i can battle troll!".
    • Like x 1
  3. Yaiba Committed Player

I think it's possible, here is few things that might help you:

+ What's your POT? If it's 1k, even with the claw artifact, it will be enough for your SM's group

+ What's your parse on ST? The good number is around 22k+, I can manage to reach 24k with Light (no DW spam), but I'm not sure about mental
  4. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

no no..its all in how you spec you skill points.

controllers need less sps to max out their power crits (30).
    max out your might/power stat (235).

now if i were "straight up" trolling i would go into vitalization from there but i'm not so instead ill go in and max out my dps crit chance and damage (20 and 40 sps)

you'll also need 8 or so for your weapon and 8 or so for your movement mode.

loadout is a mix of dps and troll powers. horrific visage, psychic shock if i want to carry a defense debuff or terror tendrils if im not caring at that moment, invisibility (where i hide my bastion and mental bolt supercharges and pain blast), mass terror, psychic prison and finally my power dump.

i will admit i havent used this in a top tier raid...but running this way in all the alerts and duos the past few weeks i tend to keep the group powered up with little effort while topping out on dps. i'm not even taking advantage of any of the broken weapon mastery moves or any artifact abilities outside of their stat increases. i can also add in pets and henchmen and the like but i like playing my characters to their concept and wilder doesn't use bows or swords. he does have a cat that can shapechange but shes limited to the size and weight of your average housecat.

therefore her only job is to look cute.
    • Like x 1
  5. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Can anyone confirm if you can clip your weapon buff with your group weapon buff as controller for Mental? I know you can for Quantum and Gadgets. Very good tip especially more for precision battle controller. Claw artefact 120+ would be handy too.
  6. Yaiba Committed Player

Yes you can, same with Light, but I don't recommend Claw for prec troll, it's useless for that build.
  7. Danne0075 Well-Known Player

Its useful....
    When you use claw your POT is stronger and it also gives stat buffs to tank and healer which are good in SM. Most important is that you won't need to use power dump 24/7 since the buff will stay active for 12 seconds which makes it so that you can focus more on damage.
    • Like x 1
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I don't like the term "battle troll" because "battle troll" implies a half-step between DPS and Controller.

There isn't one, not a good one anyways.

If you want stuns, Might-based damage, and high power return? Play an actual Controller.

If you want high Precision damage output, debuffs, and consistent power return? Play C/DPS.

Mental currently does more damage as a DPS using a Precision build in Controller Role than it does in Damage Role; this is because the Might based powers in Mental are basically the worst in the game right now. The caveat being that I have to run in full DPS gear, so there's no Stuns, AT ALL, because there's no Dominance, at all - it's not some magic Controller build that tops a Scoreboard, it's literally just using DPS gear and the extra Precision of Controller role to get better performance out of a dilapidated powerset.

This setup is basically devoid of offensive skills aside from defense debuff (because Mental's offensive skills suck) and about 90% of of the damage is directly from weapon combos - Mental DOES have a couple of decent SC options and a BUNCH of shields, so it's perfectly possible to put together a moderate-output Melee damage DPS build that can (usually) live at ground zero in a big fight.

Still looking for a good Range build (that doesn't include DW - > Flurry) at the moment, but my current DPS Melee rotation does 8% more in Controller than it does in DPS.

The power return is also a little threadbare so I've been running Bastion to make up lean moments in a boss fight situation. Which you should do anyway because 8 man shield = pickups save the day.

In any open world or 1-2 player content you're not going to miss the dominance, but in any 4-8 player stuff, if you want stuns? Play Controller, or play as a DPS who has automatic power return options and a debuff - there's not an effective half-step between the two.

- two dimes.