Why Do People Hate so called Style Snatchers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mikeyb2001, May 7, 2019.

1. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

I Consider it the Sincerest Form Of Flattery When Somebody Asks "hey whats that color code" or "what style piece/Material is that" i think i must have done something right that this person wants to copy me and i actually tell them what they want to know i know some people spend alot of time "eyeballing" and perfecting styles and colors but if i can help someone do it faster then by all means ask me

People who say **** off or Give wrong answers make me sick its like if you're that concerned about your 1s and 0s you need a life outside the game
    • Like x 9
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Wait, some players actually get bent out of shape over someone asking about a style or color code they're using?

Really? :confused:

I dunno, maybe it's from hanging out in the Costume Contest thread so often, sharing my own looks and seeing others share theirs, but the idea of someone getting their undergarments in a knot to ANY degree over another player wanting to copy their style is a bit on the mind-boggling side.
    • Like x 4
  3. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

4. Eve YouTuber

You might want to remove it. It's considered Blacklisting.
    • Like x 2
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Same here, it's not like the styles are exclusive or anything

Besides, WB owes all your styles and character looks anyway, you barely even have the rights to your characters name!
  6. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

how do you delete a post
  7. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

You edit the post and just remove the character name out. Blacklisting issue solved.

And as far as your question goes, it's because people have stupid attachment to these styles as if they own the character or created it.

Like, yes, you made a good replica of an iconic character; but by all means it's no reason to get all upset at anybody if they simply ask for tips to make their character/iconic replica look just as good as yours.
    • Like x 1
  8. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Humans have small egotistical brains. Everyone thinks they're special and original even though We're more closer to the opposite.
    • Like x 4
  9. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

i guess i'm a true Kryptonian Then lol JK
    • Like x 2
  10. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

I don't think it is about those 1's and 0's; it's just different strokes for different folks. Some people like to share, some do not and some don't want to take the time to share because you can google/wiki search that info on your own.

Games with limited character creation options have more players that are very protective of their character creations, from my experiences. DCUO is one of them; there are no body sliders, so you cannot create the body or face type that is truly unique. So, the only way to make your character unique is to try to obtain unique gear and customize it so it sets your character's appearance further apart from the norm. This can take some time to do, so some players will not want to share that character creation info.

Personally, I do not give out all information about my character styles. If you ask me about the material, aura and gear, I have no problems giving that info out. Skin color I will help out with as well, as certain skin tones are hard to achieve on the color picker. Gear colors are the only thing I am selfish with; you are on your own with that one.

Being asked in a polite manner helps immensely; I think too many players are rude when asking about your style/colors. I also think many of them don't mean to be, but it is very annoying and this can lead to the *go kick boulders in bare feet* reaction. The most annoying players will try to degrade you/your character if you deny them information and/or keep asking after you deny them.
    • Like x 3
  11. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I'll give another side to this tale.

I had on a style and someone demanded (not politely) to know where I'd gotten it. I couldn't remember and said so. I was sincerely sorry, because I did want to help. I got called some names, and the person attempted to challenge me to pvp (which I have turned off because I hate pvp). It made me regret trying to being nice.

It may well be that some people have been asked once too often by rude people and just are sick of it?

Thank goodness that was the only truly nasty interaction I've had with people asking about styles. I've had a couple of other rude requests which I ignored and a couple of nice requests which I answered to the best of my ability.
    • Like x 7
  12. Schimaera Devoted Player

Style snatchers?

There are like billions of "creative players" out there who wear:

- Sunglasses
    - Tank Top
    - Scarecrow 1H (or now generic DW Style)
    - Vodoo Shorts
    - Clownsanity Boots
    - Boxing Gloves

And add the three worst combinations of materials onto everything, starting with their glasses and ending with their fingernails.
    Oh and don't forget the corrupted aura or the rip off for players who were too late to the party.

If there really really was some kind of "OG player" behind this abomination of style(s) I'd like to meet them and punch them :D

DC is big enough and has enough style variety, that true original character design remains unique for most parts. So far I've come across one person who had a toon looking like one of my alts at this point. And I just thought "yeah makes sense, the style is cool, it was bound to be used by others". :)
    • Like x 2
  13. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

1s and 0s is Binary code makes up everything online whether the user sees it or not
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Again, there really aren't any truly unique styles, not even the Two-Face Inspired face (which is different to the Male Split Personality face)
    Haven't come across anyone wearing the same outfit as me, maybe because they are mostly fairly basic combinations and not really inspired by anyone else
    • Like x 1
  15. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

so the Avatars they're so Attached to Are the 1s and 0s im referring to
  16. darth_paul Dedicated Player

I don’t mind sharing style names or colors or whatever, but I don’t want anyone copying a look I worked on for a character 100%. You’re trying to be as unique as possible with what you have & don’t need anyone else ripping you off completely.
    • Like x 1
  17. Mikeyb2001 Well-Known Player

you're part of the problem maybe they use your style but if its iconic and not a custom character if yours is better people deserve to be able to improve their look as much as the next guy
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Isn't your quote, also showing the name....which looks to now be removed from the original....also kind of blacklisting?'

Just saying...

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  19. Eve YouTuber

Welp, I can't edit it anymore. I forgot to check after.
    • Like x 2
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have no problem sharing any styles, and have asked a few people on occasion what they were wearing. It's not like anything can't be found online if you know where to look. Now do I like if that same guy then shows up looking exactly like I do? Well, not really, only from the stand point that someone might look at me and say "Hey....Reinheld is copying the super cool style of XYZ player....weak". But as I spend about 10 min a year changing my look (last major update was when I got the void material 2+ years ago), I guess it would not bother me that much.

I've never been told to 'f off' if asking about a style though...although I have been unanswered at times. Guess maybe they might have been telling me to 'f off' with that....I just figured they were either busy or didn't feel like looking it up. Geesh...now I'm offended retroactively.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1