Daybreak layoff 70 employees

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuno Loyal Player

https://www.cbr.com/dc-universe-online-developer-layoffs-workers/

I wish DCUO devs were not affected by this but seems to be something general in Daybreak, so who knows.
    I guess is safe to say that this company re-estructuration will affect DCUO going foward, maybe the game will be in maintenance mode with a sunset coming soon, probably.
    I really hope that's not the case but one can only wonder things are getting ugly for us.
    I also want the devs to be very sincere with us so the bad news wont catch us by surprise like happened with City of Heroes, the game that was in full development with huge updates coming its way when it was suddenly closed.
    • Like x 2
  2. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

Yea I read this earlier, seems to mostly be in Austin. I won’t be spending anymore money until we get some info on the direction of the game.
    • Like x 3
  3. DaPhun48 Well-Known Player

Lol! You think the company is gonna tell you they’re gonna shut the doors soon and risk potentially their last extracts of money from the game? Lol!

stop spending money on this game, cut your losses.
    • Like x 1
  4. Eve YouTuber

People are abit over dramatic with these news, people get fired all the time in all companies. I doubt it means anything for DCUO,
    Daybreak is a business, therefore the decisions they make. I doubt they will tell us anything if at all. But I don't think It's the end of the world. DCUO as we know has a small dev team so I really doubt anything there was touched that will stop the game from running.

Edit: As far as I know DCUO is not the only game in the studio in Austin, so yeah.
    • Like x 1
  5. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

It’s estimated to be a THIRD of their workforce. You are mighty hopeful there.
    • Like x 1
  6. Eve YouTuber

Those people probably worked on other games, not only DCUO if at all
    • Like x 1
  7. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Sort of depends on the people making the decision. Keep in mid DCUO is not the only game that daybreak has and if you don't want your reputation totally ruined by basically screwing your customers its best to give them a heads up. NOT that that means they will.

Perfect example .. Before I began here at DCUO I played City of Heroes. NC Soft announced months before they shut off the servers that they intended to stop supporting the game. They had and still have a bunch of other games and wanted to let people know their plan to avoid major hard feelings.

Hard to say what Daybreak will or WOULD do if DCUO is affected by these layoff only thing to do is wait and see.
    • Like x 2
  8. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Not saying it may not be true, but stick to the facts.

Fact: Daybreak laid off some employees in the month of December.

Not a fact: Daybreak laid off 70 employees.

Not a fact: Daybreak laid off people in the Austin studio.

Not a fact: Daybreak laid off DCUO-related employees.

Also, it might be nice to feel bad for those employees rather than demanding that other employees put their own jobs at risk by providing us with additional information.
    • Like x 6
  9. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

While I appreciate your hopeful attitude, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that.
  10. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Nor to suggest the contrary.
    • Like x 2
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Tin Foil Hat engaged :D
    • Like x 3
  12. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

So wait...

Let me get this straight, you guys are worried about 70 people getting laid off; and usually the reason people get laid off is due to money reasons..

So your not funding anymore money to DCUO just so you guys can get your questions answered, and have a bigger chance of more people getting lay off from work in the process? Genius logic folks.
    I'm terribly sorry for these people losing their jobs, and I hope they find work soon. But you guys are out of your mind if you think that Daybreak will come clean about why these people were fired.
    At most, that's a Business Decision and we need to respect that.

We can't say if DCUO is going downhill, we can't say if another game is going down hill.. We're players, not the employees. And as players, where the heck do we get off demanding to know what's going behind the scenes with this firing?

Already some of yall are jumping to conclusions about 70 people getting fired like DCUO maybe closing because of it? Really? We thought the game was going to close because of TC's, we thought the game was going to close because GU 47 was a disaster, and so many other things were supposed to be this "Magical DCUO killer" But none of that happened, and I still don't think this layoff will cause DCUO to shut down either.

At most, you guys are being really unrealistic thinking that "Oh I'm not gonna spend my money until DCUO says something." No Business has ever revealed a reason why Layoffs happen, and yall are wasting your time thinking that Daybreak will be any different lol.
    • Like x 4
  13. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

I think it’s silly to assume the DCUO team would somehow be exempt from layoffs of 1/3 of the developers.

But that would be good news of true.
  14. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

You completely misunderstood what I wrote. I don’t need information on why people were laid off, I need to know what the future plans are for the game moving forward, such as new episodes etc. It’s my money and I can choose how to spend or not spend it.

Get off of your high horse.
    • Like x 4
  15. Saami Loyal Player

Good advice. This doesnt look good from customer perspective.
    • Like x 1
  16. DaPhun48 Well-Known Player

Who fires 60-70 ppl just before Christmas? That must be one Fanta company to have worked for...
    • Like x 6
  17. Eve YouTuber

They are a small team that's why I have high doubts they touched the team.
    As for other games there's always these jobs on the Daybreak official website,
    some were unannounced titles few times i was looking.
  18. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Yet, that sparked an unexpected number of protest actions amd even affected their stock market value to take an excessive dive.

News are reporting about workers im general BTW. Since without development there is no further content and as such no further income, and since Daybreak officials speak about "structure optimization", it is probably hitting customer service and accountants the hardest. Which means your average ticket response time will increase a lot or the response will mix things up with other tickets since the person handling them will have 3x the number of tickets to handle per day.

That's usally the result of "structure optimization" when on the end of the money flow there is an investment company counting. Those companies do not care about customer service, especially when said customers usually have to pay fully in advance.
    • Like x 3
  19. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I wish I had the amount of positivity and hope that you do. I would probably see life in a much better light.

A friend did send me a link that it was mostly H1Z1 employees so dcuo probably wasn't even touched, but I wouldn't get my hopes up either. It's too easy to spin things on the internet.
    • Like x 2
  20. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

^ actually I lied. Reread the link, it wasn't mostly H1Z1 employees
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.