Why Does AA Look So Bad On Console

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Drake_DuCaine, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Drake_DuCaine Well-Known Player

Playing on my PS4 Pro, 4k monitor, etc. everything, and the anti-aliasing is very bad. I turned over to PC and there is virtually no jaggies in 4K. Even in the menu buttons, the console version look very low quality compared to the PC version. Any know why this is? I figured with the upgrade to the pro and 4K it would be able to rival the PC but we don't even get shadows xD or HQ icons.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

Consoles will never rival a pc, they just won't, the tech used in consoles are dated before they're even released. And then are even more dated by the end of the generation, even the supposed pro versions.

Edit oh also you don't have the same sort of access to driver and graphics customization you're restricted to what the developers let you play with more.
    • Like x 3
  3. Noble One Committed Player

tbh BOTH are bad imo. even on PC the game looks like meh.
  4. Kuno Loyal Player

I have both a PS4 and beast gaming PC and trust me, even if it doesnt makes sense the game still looks better on console.
    Textures are shinier, color more vibrant and more fluid.
    We need a graphical upgrade!
    • Like x 1
  5. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Now I know the PC output can vary heavily depending on GFX card, drivers and overrides said drivers allow, but: I actually have to come about a gaming PC yet where the game looks worse than on console. I do prefer to play on console because

a) I don't have to mess with my controller settings every time to make the controller work the way it should
    b) I don't have to change my PC settings. My PC is set for gaming to allow one specific game that does not have a console version get the max of it and for non-gaming to operate my bunch of VMs. DCUO (and STO and some others) definitely not worth the effort to change these settings.

And b) is also the reason why I pick console whenever possible. I don't need superfreshphotorealisticandstuff texture to enjoy a game, I prefer good gameplay, controls, well thought content and game structures etc. You can **** DCUO to superoverthetopnextnextgengfx and the game still is lackluster. When a game does not work on console, it's either the game developer's or Sony's fault, not my config. And that's great :D
    • Like x 1
  6. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

[IMG]
    I really don't have the best eyes, but even I can see that playing on default settings on PC looks bad.
  7. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

But that's the thing about PC gfx: you have tons of options to configure away from default settings while console doesn't.
  8. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

9. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

That's why claiming "PC looks better" is very inacurate, or as the OP wrote

What kind of PC, which settings ingame and which settings in the driver?

I do love the fact that modern drivers allow me to set game specific settings, which is exactly what I did in the images above.
    • Like x 1
  10. Drake_DuCaine Well-Known Player

Everything maxed out in 4K resolution, default driver settings on an R9 380 4G. Will take a screenshot of comparisons between console and PC when I get the chance later tonight. The difference is night and day.
  11. Drake_DuCaine Well-Known Player

Follow up:

PS4: (Notice the road texture in comparison to the PC as well. Look at the shoulders, the legs, etc. The outsides of the arm, take notice of the jaggies.

[IMG]

PC: See how much more detailed the road is. Look at the arms, very little to no jaggies. Smooth lines all the way around, even on the road above her from distance. The buildings in the background show very little jaggies in comparison to the PS4 version.

[IMG]

PS4: Zoomed in on the character. Here you can REALLY see the jaggies and how bad they are. It's almost like no AA is applied whatsoever. I know consoles are outdated but how can we get a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 that looks AMAZING, but can't get anti-aliasing in a game like DC Universe when the PC version has it.

[IMG]

PC: Notice the nearly non-existent jaggies on the outside of her clothes and fairly non existed on the background items as well. They are fairly straight lines, even when at an angle, as to where it looks terrible on PS4.

[IMG]

None of these images were edited in photoshop, only downsized and zoomed in. The PS4 was saved directly from the PS4 and same with PC using print screen. Both are supposed to be in 4K but only the PC version is actually outputting at the proper resolution. If I were to put my PC into 1080p, it begins to look a lot like the PS4 version in terms of lack of AA.
  12. AgentGARD New Player

i do see what you are getting at, but I feel like it would have made a better comparison for both of your toons to wear the same styles and screenshot taken in the same place.
    • Like x 3
  13. Drake_DuCaine Well-Known Player

I could do that, but the outcome would be the same. Jaggies on PS4, no jaggies on PC. I'll do it later for a better comparison.
  14. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

It will not do much about the AA on the character rendering "jaggies", but it could at least eliminate the possibility of the road textures being of different qualities, so same location would really be appreciated.

As for the "why" you have answered your question with your previous post already - if the PS4 is not delivering the proper resolution, than of course it looks way bad (lower resolution -> bigger pixels). I myself didn't get the Pro since I always considered it a rip-off (plus all the "my tv doesn't work with it!"-feedback during release). So from my PoV, your post is nice proof for that :D Prolly investing in a third standard PS4 before getting a Pro LMAO :D
  15. Drake_DuCaine Well-Known Player

The PS4 is nice. It does output to 4K, the console and monitor I play on register it as 4K. You can tell in other games. This is the only game I could say doesn't output in true 4K. The screenshot saves at 4K resolution, but it doesn't look like in-game. It runs a lot smoother and the 60 FPS is definitely nice compared to the 30 of a standard PS4, though I think a standard PS4 outputs to it now? Or the slim at least. Not 100% sure on that ,though, but I would not trade my Pro f0or a regular lol, even with money back.
  16. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

yes, you are spot on, that on the PS4 the Antialiasing seems to be shut off. As far as I know that wasn't the case when DCUO launched on it. The PS4 looks very much like AA is off entirely. Texture filtering still seems on, but it never had a big impact on DCUO anyways.

About your Radeon settings: Can post a screenshot of the DCUO profile from the Radeon driver? I believe their configurator is still called Catalyst Control Center.
    I am curious which texture filtering and Aliasing mode is there and whether it is set to overide or not.
  17. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I agree that the road textures look very different. Unfortunately, you compare different locations, so we can't be sure they are exactly the same. The devs should maybe check if the recent update to PC textures included some the PS4 doesn't have...
    • Like x 1
  18. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I chose Atlantis, because the textures are mostly new and high resolution. Additionally, the many curved objects really highlight the impact of AA, even on 4x or 8x.
    • Like x 2
  19. Knarlydude Loyal Player

It looks like your screen resolution is off.
    Can you adjust your screen resolution on console?

This might help too.
  20. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Really, what the game needs, it may not get. It needs a true 4K resolution update and makeover, because the Xbox One X offers native 4K resolution to developers. And some PC gamers may want to run it at that resolution. So, first things first, the PC edition needs to finally get the HIGH Texture Detail setting enabled, as the PS4 and Xbox One clearly have High Texture Detail enabled, while PC only has Low and Normal as options.

THEN ALL versions need to get a 4K "Ultra High" setting. Well, on PS4 Pro, it doesn't do true 4K resolution, so it would get whatever the resolution is that the Pro then upscales to 4K. But ALL editions are in need of a boost up to modern standards. ;)
    • Like x 1