DCUO on iOS

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Awsome, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Awsome Well-Known Player

I have been playing DCUO on my iPad or iPhone for over a year now. It's been great, but it has not allowed me to do certain things in game without having to stop and jump on my computer (anything typing for example). The new iPad Pro has fixed this. Now, I can be completely on my iPad without ever having to sit down on my desk.

That made me think. the new iPad Pro's benchmark outclasses many gaming desktops now. Having this game in the App Store would (I think) exponencially increase the player base. With the new functionalities, there would also be virtually no gameplay limitations that you already don't have with a controller now (only excepion, you would need to put l3 and r3 on screen)

So, why not. It would have almost no competition on the iPad as well (order and Chaos being the only other real MMO competition).

I don't know if the devs have looked into this, but I really think mobile gaming is the future, and this game could (i believe) be very easily ported. It would be nice for our game to have a head start on everyone for once.
    • Like x 1
  2. Noble One Committed Player

ram....this alone is usually apples downfall with most games. also what?! i wont put apple down as being good for certain things, gaming is not one of them. if you think the pro outclasses a tower then that is one very powerful opinion.
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Playing on an ipad sounds like a horrible experience in my opinion.
    • Like x 3
  4. StealthBlue Loyal Player

The big question is "How are you playing it on an iPad"? The most likely way is that the have is loaded on another device (PS4, Xbox, pc, Mac with a Windows partition) and you are just streaming it through your iPad. Meaning the iPad is not running the game, but video and audio are sent to it, and controls for the game are accepted through it.

I've played dcuo through my Sony tablet before (streaming from my PS4), and was even able to play with a controller, but it isn't the best experience and you can't speak on voice chat. There are pc and Mac apps now that let you do the same thing as well, still with the voice chat limitation.

Playing through a remote play method is inherently slower. The server communicates with the system running the game, which then communicates with the device you are playing on, so there is increased delay, especially if the device running the game and the device streaming the game are on different networks.
    • Like x 1
  5. Awsome Well-Known Player

new iPad has 4GB plenty for this game.
  6. Awsome Well-Known Player

don't knock it till you try it ;)
    seriously, its just a portable screen. I have a controller so its like playing on the ps4 but I can do it anywhere.
  7. Awsome Well-Known Player

I'm not trying to be a salesman for Moonlight or Nvidia. I have a system that works real well for me so I'm not complaining or begging. I just think that the new tablets that are beginning to come out can more than handle the game on high settings. By releasing it on iOS, you would be selling the game to a whole new audience. I think it would cause a huge uptick in the player base.

I know not all iPads are built the same, but you can restrict your app to only the iPads/iPhones that it will work on.
  8. Awsome Well-Known Player

I'm not talking latest and greatest, but my desktop (which is 5 years old now), was a very powerful gaming rig in its day. It runs Skyrim with over 250 mods on highest setting no problem. The new iPad pro outperforms it in benchmark testing by a long shot. This game, which is what...8 years old now, can easily be run on the newer tablets.
    BTW, I installed the game on my work laptop (clearly not a gaming laptop) and it runs fine on high, so don't worry, the tablet can handle it. It has the horsepower.
  9. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I would guess they'd shoot for the Nintendo Switch before attempting a crack at the whole Android/Apple thing, but in all cases it probably comes down to media rights, programming costs and potential gaming base (i.e., how many people have a system capable of running it, what kind of competition exists, what portion is likely to play, etc.). iPad might not be a bad call, but let's face it, people with a smartphone aren't likely to play DCUO, so it could be lots of licensing costs for only half the potential benefit.
  10. Trexlight Devoted Player

Just because you broke whatever to play it on your tablet doesnt mean it belongs there. Careful not to be breaking rules since you know, its not meant to be played on any platform other than whats officially out.
  11. Awsome Well-Known Player

I appreciate the heads up. Technically the game is being played on my desktop. Moonlight (an app found in the app store) utilizes Nvidia GeForce Experience (free software to anyone who has an Nvidia Graphics card) to then stream the game to the ipad with no lag. I'm not breaking any rules. My point in bringing that up, is that I really enjoy the freedom it gives me, and when I looked the other day for real MMOs in the App store, there was only Order and Chaos and some Pocket game. So I was thinking that My experience on the iPad is great (with the controller) and with the ipad Pros out-benchmarking many people's systems nowadays, I thought I would throw the suggestion out there that maybe it is time to look into this. DCUO would have no real competition.
  12. Awsome Well-Known Player

I think putting it on the switch would be awesome, but I would think Nintendo would be a tougher nut to crack than Apple
    • Like x 1
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Haha to each their own, i have no desire to try it though.

Going from my gaming pc to an ipad i would just find painful.
    • Like x 2
  14. Proxystar #Perception

He's not breaking any rules, it's no different than ps4 remote play or chromecasting to a different screen.

He'd get no technical support for any problems however.

It'd also be similar to running a windows emulator to play the game through linux.

As long as you're not tampering with the code of the game.
    • Like x 2
  15. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Can someone please give me the hardware specifics of the devices where you want to play dcuo (yes, I specifically write "play" just running it is not enough to waste time on it).

Specifcally:
    Processor speed
    RAM
    Graphicsprocessor speed
    GRAM
    screen resolution
    OS version

and how do you control it without plugging in a controller?

I have done enough performance tests to know what is playable and what isnt
  16. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

1st, this:

2nd: Apple is, from licensing/rights department POV, a total catastrophe to work with. And the team ATM already has to deal with Microsoft, Sony, Warner Bros and Warner DC Department.

3rd, and most important: Mobile gaming is the future for silly, simplistic and often ret....dacted games, for the generation facebook&co. Mobile games have very simple, limited mechanics and are usually focused on click, reward, progression wall for either a) contact data, b) friends' data or c) cash, then rinse and repeat while having "friends friends friends" around to keep people playing, not interesting content. That is not the platform for a game with a rich lore, interesting and intelligent content, an immersive world you can dive into. Now, granted, DCUO is not that kind of game either by now and gave up to become that kind of game when focusing on queue, serve, next, repeat. But that is the future I'd actually prefer - for gaming in general, not just DCUO. What's VR goggles useful for when all people play are candy crush and farmville etc????
  17. Awsome Well-Known Player

except that this isn't really true anymore. Fortnite has been quite successful on mobile, as has minecraft. You would have been right two years ago, big games are more and more often finding ways of becoming more mobile.
  18. Awsome Well-Known Player

I don't know if this question is for me, but I do play with a controller. There are controllers for iOS devices.
  19. Awsome Well-Known Player

Nintendo Switch RAM specs
    CPU: Quad core ARM Cortex A57
    GPU: Nvidia Maxwell with 256 CUDA cores
    Memory:1600 MHz 4GB LPDDR4 (2+2 GB modules)
    Memory Bandwidth: 25.6GB/s
    Internal storage: 32 GB flash
    Screen: Multi-touch capacitive touch screen / 6.2-inch LCD Screen / 1280 x 720
  20. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

DCUO is in several cases bigger than that.