Do No Harm

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kid Multiverse, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

After seeing some really, really poor behavior from some members of the community recently, I think this is worth discussing. The basic tenets of be polite, be decent or at the very least be neutral should always be in play for DCUO. It takes very little to be kind and it takes even less to just not be a jerk.

Lately, I've seen:

-A tank who was having a hard time in ZooE excuse himself at the last boss after a wipe and a group member tried to humiliate him on the way out saying he was surprised he made it to 255.

-Someone try to kick a dps 3/4 of the way through a COTR run... simply because they were the bottom dps. This despite that he was active, engaged and looked to be doing mechanics, etc.

-Kicks or attempts to kick the lowest dps from Silent School just because.

I can understand kicking people who refuse to listen, are afk for a long time, etc. But I don't get this trend of trying to pick on people who are just playing, especially when it's not elite content or a feat run.

Why be hostile like this? Really, what good does it do?

So, please folks, be nice. Or at the very least be neutral. And if you can't do that, please stay out of blind queue pug & LFG groups and keep your needless cruelty out of the community at large.
    • Like x 23
  2. Knarlydude Loyal Player

We all know this is what happens when you let the kids on the playground loose without supervision. TBH, This is a serious issue in society all the way around. Everyone & parents included have stopped holding kids young and old responsible for their actions. Instead we are told that ignoring the issue is the best solution. The only way to stop unwanted behavior is to call it out when you see it and send those kids that think its ok to be a jerk packing instead.
    • Like x 9
  3. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I'll start a kick because someone is being a jerk in a heartbeat. Especially if they are picking on someone just because. I used to be one of the smallest kids and understand what it's like to be picked on. I outgrew those issues long ago and put them in their rightful place.
    [IMG]
    I will not stand for it. I never have & I never will.
    • Like x 8
  4. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

It's true. And it's bad enough when actual kids engage in this behavior. But seeing adults do it is just shameful.
    • Like x 6
  5. Do Your Googles Active Player

Things like this are to be expected when people pug content. I am not saying it is right but I am not surprised. The problem with some people is they expect to be carried.
    • Like x 2
  6. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Usually they're elitists... and I don't mean their playing abilities. I'm talking the attitude. This is a game. Relax a little and have fun. :)
    • Like x 4
  7. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

Unfortunately some people in MMO's are nasty simply because they can be. Nobody knows who they are and there is rarely any negative consequence for their behavior. Me, I play MMO's for fun, to pass the time, and to meet and chat with people. If people would just follow the old 'Golden Rule', things would be so much better.

I do understand kicking players who deliberately go AFK, will not listen, are being nasty, etc. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. But do remember there are many good players too.

I remember an alert where after several spectacular wipes, two people left. Two others took their place. At one point I'd been K/O'd so many times my gear was totally trashed (I was still F2P and ran out of cash to repair) and my CR was like 15. So I told the group if they wanted to kick me as I was ineffective I would understand. The top CR person said as long as I was doing my best I was fine. We ended up completing the mission, and had fun doing it.
    • Like x 5
  8. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

I don't know, call me crazy but I don't expect to see people behave like that. It's not exactly shocking but I don't go in expecting to see it either. And really, the issue of people looking to be carried is totally separate from this and was more or less addressed in the op.

That's a nice story :)

It's easier to zero in on the bad stuff that happens, but it's nice to mention the good that happens too, thanks!
    • Like x 1
  9. Protecktor MKV Committed Player

Thanks for this. I've been in a few of these groups recently too and I just don't get why people do this. I play for fun and as long as folks are contributing and doing their best it's all good. We need more good folks around for sure! My ignore has been getting a serious workout in the meanwhile.
    • Like x 2
  10. Do Your Googles Active Player

You don't expect to see it if you are pugging? How long have you been playing? Not to question you but this is how it has been since the game started. Has far as people looking to be carried why pug something knowing you barley meet the requirements or know you have below average skill points?
  11. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

For real. I think a lot of folks who do this kind of stuff struggle with feeling powerless so they bully in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. It's sad.
    • Like x 2
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Always tends to be two sides to these stories.
    • Like x 1
  13. SilkyPawz Bunny

Is this where we hold hands and sing Kumbaya :rolleyes:
    • Like x 3
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Should it be expected or at the least not surprising when this happens? Considering some of the folks in the playerbase, probably not. But that doesn't mean that kind of behavior should be tolerated.

As for the "carrying" and this statement...

Fascinating. I wasn't aware that having a higher CR allowed the high CR players to be able to read the minds and/or intentions of lower CR players who enter content with them. You learn something new every day, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Here's some food for thought: maybe, just maybe, those players who are entering content at entry level CR are going into it because they want to play some new content that the devs have determined that they are eligible to run.
    • Like x 5
  15. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

To me, 'carrying' is when someone makes the deliberate decision to park their character in a corner and do nothing or just a little so a quick look at the Scoreboard won't show all zeroes (and we've all seen that enough times I bet). One one of my first raid experiences I saw a character actually running in circles at the raid entrance to avoid a time-out, and did not participate until the final boss fight. Unless they used rubber bands on their controller to allow them to run in a circle like that, they have to actually sit and run their character in circles while they wait for the rest to reach the final boss. To me, why bother play?

However, if someone with below average SP who just meets the CR for a content is doing their best to contribute, even they are not very effective, I don't see that as a real problem. Part of the game is learning.

Also, how can you know why a person has 'below average' SP? Their game-play time may be limited due to RL issues. So they take what they can get when they can get it. Again, if they are trying, doing their best vice just standing in a corner, that's the main thing. IMO.
    • Like x 9
  16. tukuan Devoted Player

Pretty much the only time I'll init a kick is when someone goes AWOL with no notice or communications. I don't know if it's much better but I'm far more inclined to leave myself than to kick someone else. That said I try to reserve those situations for the truly hopeless ones where we've wiped multiple times and no one is adjusting their tactics.

Personally I don't get the concept of wanting every run to be a cake run. Shouldn't a challenge be part of the attraction?
    • Like x 9
  17. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

I appreciate your purpose and meaning behind this thread. But this is what it means to be human. Nobody is perfect. And there are ALWAYS going to be a-holes. Both in the game, and on here. Rudeness, cruelty, complete ****** baggery is going to happen no matter where you go in life. A quote from an episode of a certain TV show which will remain nameless. "People are always going to say stuff. How you react to what they say, is what makes you the person that you are."
    • Like x 1
  18. recoil2 Dedicated Player

it's cause the required cr is 10 points too low and the minimum cr is 20 too low. granted after a tier or two players should have caught on to that, but it does seriously make me question who on the development team doesn't have proper math skills?
  19. Shark Dental Devoted Player

You're the bunny-lover. You tell us. :p

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  20. Shark Dental Devoted Player

So people should have to wait an episode until being able to access the previous episode?

:rolleyes::D