Dev Discussion Episode 33: "Atlantis: The Silent School" Alert

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Charon, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charon Lead Content Designer

Hey Villains and Heroes!

Welcome to the Silent School, the Alert for Atlantis. Dive into the mysterious depths of the Silent School, the seat of magical power in the City of Atlantis. Those who enter must face a random array of challenges and puzzles along one of four randomly assigned paths before the Outer and Inner Sanctums can be accessed.

Please leave feedback and bug reports here.

Have fun storming the school!

Thanks!
    • Like x 1
  2. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Would it be possible to add a portal to the final fight chamber in the first room once you get clear the thorn golem? It's a little tedious to go through all the rooms again after a wipe.

Alternatively, could you put rally points in the first and second boss fight chambers (the barnacle monster, and thorn golem) after you defeat them?

Either one would be greatly appreciated.
    • Like x 4
  3. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I'd love to see this, too. Especially because the first room has a portal that takes you to... the first room XD. It'd be nice if this could be re-purposed to be whichever room you've unlocked, or at the very least, if it took you to the golem room/final boss room, once you get there.
    • Like x 1
  4. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Experienced a 4 player "One Shot" on the Last Boss of the Event Phase of this Alert.
    Although the Combat Log didn't quote it as a Big Mega Hit; it was a series of hits that happened so quickly,that all of us, in good health died instantly. Then we couldn't figure out how to get back to the final battle.
    Very confusing.
  5. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

It is possible to trap the Crustacean Guardian inside the water dome once the right moonstone has gone in in this puzzle. This means some or no players will be able to combat the Crustacean Guardian.

Maybe it would be worth some failsafes so that if the Crustacean Guardian does get stuck he can spawn outside the water dome so the group can engage.
  6. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

My pug was able to get through this alert pretty quickly, although I will admit we had no idea what was going on in the final fight. It just seemed like way too much to pay attention to. Hopefully everyone figures it out and gets used to it soon though.

I agree with putting a last room teleported in the first room for wipes etc.
  7. Charon Lead Content Designer

Thanks for the feedback!

The following changes are being tested and if they pass, will roll out soon in an upcoming hotfix.

* Added a teleporter to the Outer Sanctum that spawns in the entrance chamber after the Thorn Golem fight is initiated.
    * Reduced damage for the Faceless One in Event Mode.
    * Added backup measures to make sure the Crustacean Guardian doesn't get stuck in the water dome.
    * Added a display name to the Outer and Inner Sanctum teleporters that take you back to the entrance chamber.
    • Like x 3
  8. Trexlight Devoted Player

Can yo ualso make it to where the Player doesnt get stuck inside the dome....asking for a friend >_>
    • Like x 1
  9. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Question
    Is the Electric Avenue feat an one-attempt per instance feat?

Regarding how to do it, correct me if this isn't intended way to do it:
    1. Have group start off in front of inactive shark
    2. Have group rotate clockwise one quadrant each time you see the countdown timer. Stay at the edge of the stage.
    3. Clear statues while repeating #2.

If you do that, you don't get shocked.

The main problem is knowing which shark is going to be inactive first. My group kept wiping until we eventually got lucky on our starting shark position being inactive. The feat didn't pop for us though on that attempt and no one got shocked.

Managed to complete every other feat for the alert. Artifact Avoidance wasn't too easy. It did require a 3 dps/1 controller group. The Controller debuff made a big difference.

EDIT:
    This is not a one attempt per instance feat. It is just very finicky sometimes. My group eventually got it after tweaking the initial team deployment strategy to deal with the uncertainty about the random first inactive shark.
  10. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Is the Faceless One supposed to be able to suddenly one shot people with a vine attack?! It’s called gripping vines, does 58-74k per tick. It’s vulnerable to interrupt, but if he has immunity... Bye. You might not even survive the first tick without a healer.
  11. Charon Lead Content Designer

I'll look into the damage values.

• Like x 1
  12. Charon Lead Content Designer

A tell is unlikely to happen. I looked into it last week and the structure of the encounter requires a risky rework to get such a tell to occur, a day or two before Live. Also, players have 5 seconds or so to get away from Eels before the hazards start. If they plant themselves and heal through the first of any shark hazard, they can find the rotation eventually and keep cadence. When the hazards are down, the eels are down.

Metrics show the feat being accomplished, the damage is survivable, and there is no feat to not get hit by the sharks, so if you get hit by the sharks because you didn't know which one was inactive at first, it is survivable and maneuverable.

I'll look at the possibility of adding a tell that won't cause risk to the encounter but no promises of implementation.

13. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Thank you. As an aside, I’ve noticed that the Thorns Guardian and many of the adds have the exact same attack, but the damage values are much more sensible. 2-3k per tick from the adds and around 10k per tick from the guardian/boss. I’m guessing something just got thrown out of whack when you did that ability pass to make the Faceless One a threat in his own right as opposed to just an obstacle to disabling his artifacts.
  14. Charon Lead Content Designer

Yep. It was an error in that pass. Way too high of damage. It's still more than some of the other versions you've seen but it's like.. 8x reduced now than how it is on Live. The difference, other than damage, is that this attack can be lunged to help compensate for the increased damage. Should be coming out in a hotfix (soon) near you!

15. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It’s already vulnerable to interrupt on live I think, at least I saw the symbol above his head when I reviewed the footage. It’s just that by the time you’ve lunged, his target is already down. Just mentioning that in case it impacts your fix.
  16. Charon Lead Content Designer

It is. I meant the only difference between the Faceless One and others is that his is vulnerable to interrupt and has been since we went Live. He had increased damage as well (too much as is the case) so while the damage is still higher than other versions you mentioned, it is higher, post nerf, due to being interruptible.

The only thing in the new hotfix will be greatly reduced damage but still greater than other versions you called out.

17. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

This alert can use a tutorial.
  18. Schimaera Devoted Player

Then where's the fun of figuring stuff out? :p
  19. Brav Well-Known Player

Hello Charon,

Just sharing a link to a bug thread (Intermittent Group Shield Bug - Silent School). This bug seems more like a visual glitch that occurs right after the form change from the cancer room puzzle. The visual glitch is more referred to the troll debuff icons as I am not sure about the shields though I believe it is also a visual glitch related to the form change from this puzzle room. If this can be looked into and corrected it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely: Brav
  20. Brav Well-Known Player

Hello Charon, (Just posting my quote/update on my previous post above related to that issue)

Thank you again for your time and dedication.

Sincerely: Brav
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.