Noticed something about how Aggro works now.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Oct 7, 2018.

1. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

This guy understands thinking outside the box you’ve been handed by others. A base hit for Team Pontifcate.
    • Like x 2
  2. Proxystar #Perception

All good then. No problem
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Yes, however if a tank is casting a power every 8 seconds I believe the window might actually be a bit longer than this and that's why I make sure it's at least 8 seconds everytime the hate table is assessed the tank is always going to be at the top because it's refreshing is top spot sooner than is needed and starting the clock again.

If you're being hit by a random range attack then by all likelihood it's probably just a badly scripted attack that isn't properly signaled.
    • Like x 2
  4. High Troller Loyal Player

i've ran into some tanks that love using their weapon... sad, but true. i grab aggro as a troll at times. there are even tanks that run with no range pull in the machine raid.
    • Like x 2
  5. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I agree with the OP. Every so often the NPCs will give me a dirty look even when I see the tank hitting them.

I put up a lot of DOTs at the same time. And I'm wondering if it's less about the damage and more about how many different DOTs are up at the same time. Constant, multiple attacks by the same player may have the DPS for a split second jump to the top of the hate list.

So while the tank is technically doing every thing right, it's just a numbers fluke.

Side Note which I've mentioned before: Why does popping a trinket cause Hate?

Go to Starro Central City. Stand near one of the Iconic Bosses for awhile. Nothing. Pop a DPS trinket, *Bam!*
  6. Schimaera Devoted Player

2018 and still soo many misconceptions about aggro :) Proxy, Lorax and others stated the correct hate-behaviour already. I think the devs should make something like this sticky so that no player will ever think again that if the tanks blocks a lot and people are meleeing the tank will lose aggro...

Also i find it funny that people often come to the forums and tell that "the adds were looking at them" and stuff without naming the instance and the add. Boss NPCs aren't the only ones with scripted attacks that aren't directed at the tank. It doesn't even mean that they drop aggro. It's just one attack that is targetet at something like
    - a player who is not first on hate table
    or
    - the player who is furthest away
    etc.

I mean ... it's funny to read .. but geeez :D
    • Like x 5
  7. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]

Yeah what's worse is that during the course of this thread people post the correct information and then people come in and post absolute nonsense again lol.
    • Like x 4
  8. August Moon Well-Known Player

you uh, do realize that those npcs are mechanically designed to attack back line members? starro would be too easy if all you had to do was stay at a considerable distance and burn him down. these npcs (no matter what role you are ) will blink over to you if you are too far to be sucked in by the starro
    • Like x 1
  9. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I guess I should have said Iconic Boss Bounties. Like Weather Wizard.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

This thread has been giving my leaguemates many good laughs.
    • Like x 2
  11. Schimaera Devoted Player

Even they have scripted attacks. It's a totally normal thing to include the whole group in a battle. :)
    • Like x 2
  12. recoil2 Dedicated Player

imitates cinemasins: "bosses are a grayson to healers." +1 sin. but in all seriousness the hate table has healers in second place for the team member targeted by the boss like a mad bull if the tank loses aggro, i blame the AI because the bosses are programmed to know the most vital member of the team and to take them out as quickly as possible.
  13. Schimaera Devoted Player

I know what you mean, this same thing happens to potent DPS as well. From what I experienced it seems as if heals generate (way) more threat than damage. I'm alsmost certain that a mediocre dps could not steal aggro from a healer that easily. :D I wouldn't mind changing that though because I would rather lose a dps than a healer in a boss battle.
    We should not expect anything to change though since the hate/threat system in DCUO works somewhat differently compared to other MMOs - the sole reason being that tanks are always on top or on the bottom depending on whether they continuously use powers or not. The easiest thing to cope with it would be for tanks to not die lol.

Other games have abilities that generate a huge amount of threat for tanks or aggro/threat drop abilities for the other roles.
    • Like x 2
  14. Gimpy Loyal Player

Dominance does indeed affect agro, put all your SP into dominance and you'll outperform everyone else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

yes, I could have resisted the urge to post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I chose not to. :p
    • Like x 1
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

And your trophy will also be arriving in 5-7 business days via FedEx.
    • Like x 2
  16. Knarlydude Loyal Player

TBH, you're trying to split hairs here.

Anyone that tanks reasonably well understands what I was saying about the hate table and the single taunt. Considering that most dps are clueless about aggro and start trying to jump ahead and pew pew pew away before half of the tanks can catch up. The majority of the time we're using a single taunt and or a pull to gain control of any given situation and to provide a visual cue for the rest of the group.
    ( We're saying HEY...... GRABBING AGGRO HERE... SEE single taunt / pull ) Most players do not understand that all powers grab aggro & heaven help us if someone that jumped ahead goes down because we somehow lost aggro because we are not pulling and using single taunt. xD

Edit:
    For the tanks that do not understand why you were blamed for losing aggro. It's because they did not see you cast a pull and single taunt. These players do not understand that tank powers grab aggro or what scripted attacks are.
    USING VISUAL CUES saves many arguments and long drawn out discussions about aggro. :)
  17. ALB Dedicated Player

This is what I don't understand about DC. In my playing experience, most MMos don't have scripted attacks. Yes it is AOE damage that hit everyone, but the boss don't go directly towards anyone because of scripted attacks. In other games that is a one shot because tank was butt. My problem come in because DC for the most part is an easy mmo. You would think a scripted lost of aggro would make DC one of the hardcore mmos. Saying that, I have had friends who were running through raids in FFXIV and couldn't grasp DC mechanics
  18. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Are you joking? I seriously hope so. If not, I bet if you tank the controllers in the group just love you.
    • Like x 3
  19. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Many MMOs do have a certain scripted attack in the form of an aggro drop. However, teams know this is coming and have a second tank ready to grab aggro the instant that happens.

You're right that DCUO is the only game I've played where and add chooses to totally ignore the tank or even specifically target (the healer) or (the furthest person away). It definitely takes away some of the fun of tanking since half the time it honestly doesn't matter what you're doing personally, lol. This is also the reason that spawning bots and pets to physically block bosses is a thing (very cheesy, IMO).

On the plus side, it keeps team members on their toes. Well, I mean, it doesn't (because they could care less) but it should, lol.
    • Like x 1
  20. Schimaera Devoted Player

Big lol.
    • Like x 1