Noticed something about how Aggro works now.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I have noticed that no matter what role you are, if you are dealing a lot of damage to a boss it will aggro on you no matter what until someone else applies more damage than you within a certain amount of time. So yes, if you are being chased by a boss and you are not a tank that is the reason why. I have tested this multiple times so I know I’m 200% positive.

You can now pull more aggro than a tank so be careful or get the devs to fix this.
    • Like x 5
  2. Draconiano Committed Player

It happens to me as a precision dps, the tank sometimes loss the aggro and the boss comes to me, but this has been happening for ever I think, probably working as intended, the tank should block less and use more powers.
  3. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Not that I recall. Pre revamp the tank was always aggroed most of the time. Now it’s whio ever annoys the boss the most. It’s pretty frustrating especially when you have to keep damage on them but since you are not a tank you get 1 shorted sometimes and that is not good in elite content.
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Unless the game is broken this is not correct.

As a dps irrespective of damage output you cannot replace the tank at the top if the hate table as long as the tank is casting a power every 8 seconds.

Dropping aggro occurs only when the tank does not cast a power or the drop in aggro is scripted, which has been commonplace throughout some content.
    • Like x 11
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Um no. If there is a tank in your group, he will have aggro as soon as he uses any power. He will always be at the top of the hate table. The tank can eventually lose aggro if:
    1. stops using powers altogether or
    2. NPC is scripted to leave tank and attack someone else

You are probably seeing #2 happen. Most bosses are scripted to either ignore the tank completely or leave the tank every so often.

If there is no tank in your group, the healer or hardest hitting DPS at that moment will move up on the hate table.
    • Like x 5
  6. Proxystar #Perception

In what content specifically are you experiencing this, because I'm not experiencing it.
  7. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The hate table has always worked that way. If you are at the top of the hate table as a DPS that means the tank has not used their single taunt to override your position on the hate table.

Also...... What Lorax said about scripted attacks. They are a pain in the azz. STOMPA STOMPA STOMPA :D
    • Like x 3
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

It's always been that way. If there isn't a tank, the boss/adds go after the next biggest threat, which is usually a dps. It could also be a healer if the healing out is greater than the damage out of any dps, then the boss would jump the healer.

When I battle heal in the alert and there isn't a tank, I usually have all the aggro
    • Like x 5
  9. kingmasternova Loyal Player

That's not the only thing affect aggro.
    The more hits you do to the enemy the more aggro you get.
    Line of sight
  10. Proxystar #Perception

I have to correct this.

A single taunt isn't used to gain aggro from a dps any power in tank role will place you at the top of the hate table.

A single taunt is used to override another tanks taunt not a dps taunt that isn't even at the top of the hate table.

I.e if you have 2 tanks and one tank needs to ensure their tanking a specific target they need the single taunt to ensure the other tank doesn't accidentally steal aggro.
    • Like x 2
  11. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

It’s possible that enough hate can be built up to steal the top of the table, (particularly since we don’t know what the devs use to determine if there’s a “cap” to the hate table, and we are seeing tons of new damage parameters thanks to artifacts) but I’d go with what most others are saying. It’s probably a bad tank or scripted boss moves. Could even be the LOS, but that should be so rare that it’s not a noticeable trend. Also, let’s not forget the ‘magic’ of pets.

PS - I’m personally just glad that no one in this thread mentioned Dom. Can’t believe it’s been 7 years, and I’m still correcting ‘vets’ about that in-game.
    • Like x 2
  12. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I’m not saying this to say you should tank I’m saying this as in “I see an issue”
  13. Proxystar #Perception

It is not possible to build up enough hate to replace the tank at the top of the table.

The only way to override a tank at the top of the table is a single taunt or if the tank literally stops casting powers.
  14. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

It's always been about who spams the most power at close range. If the tank is pulling but blocking alot and using a shield alot he will lose aggro. He needs to spam like crazy or that close range dps will take the aggro or someone ranging. Any power that can spam like crazy is a great aggro hold power. That's why tanks should not block or shield just dump power
  15. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

Pretty sure shields aggro now and have for some time.
    • Like x 2
  16. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

You may have misunderstood me. What we don’t know is how the actual hate table is coded. What we also don’t know is how it was re-worked when they updated it. What we also don’t know is how much code is stacked on top of how much older code in that reworking. What we also don’t know is if the devs were able to build it to be fully-scalable to any and all new additions to the game beyond that moment in time. What I do know is that they’ve shown in the past that they don’t tend to build great scalable processes, and they’ve admitted it in the past. What we also know is that SOE/DBG has in the past in other games admitting to such problems existing in updating old processes to fit new needs (see: re-figuring how the hate table is coded.) What I didn’t mean is “how it is intended to work.”

Based on the above, I’d make no such assumption and use it as fact. That’s all I really meant, but didn’t wanna take the time to spell it all out. :)
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

This post is false seriously this is why this game is full of bad players let me guess next you'll be telling everyone dominance affects aggro.

The tank will not lose aggro if he is blocking but casting a power every 8 seconds.

If some stupid dps player is up next to the tank then you can guarantee they died from aoe splash damage or script and not aggro loss.

If a dps or any player for that matter died at range then that's script they died to, not aggro loss.

Good god the commenting in this thread about tanking is laughable, I'm not purposefully trying to be condescending but holy **** lol
    • Like x 11
  18. Proxystar #Perception

It doesn't matter how high you make the imaginary hate table when you cast a power in tank role you go to the top of it.

This cannot be overridden without a single taunt.

Aggro loss occurs only via scripting or the tank no longer casting powers.
  19. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

You’re missing my point, while thinking I’m missing yours. I know how the hate table is intended to work. I also know how it is stated to work. ;)

I think you took my “it’s possible” in a different context than intended, and reading it back to myself I see how that could have happened. Short story long, I’m not stating what you seem to think I am.
    • Like x 3
  20. Hraesvelg Always Right

That's how it works, ideally. There MAY be a bug. It would explain a few things I've seen since going precision. I know back in ye olden days before the single target taunts, it would be a toss up if two tanks cast powers at the same time who they would aggro onto. If two people are tied on the aggro table, there may not be an additional bit of coding to go "hit the tank, stupid".

For the sake of an example, let's say the aggro table is assessed every 15 seconds. Tank hits power, it's at the top of the table, add hits tank. If in that 15 seconds, the DPS surpasses or equals the tank on the table when it's refreshed, it could target the DPS for a moment before swinging around to the tank. The split second the table is assessed, a DPS could theoretically be higher than a tank, which the tank then smacks a DPS before hitting the tank. I know I've been taken out by "XXX ranged attack" and not some scripted number or AoE before when I'm running with tanks that aren't taking 12+ seconds to hit another power. Sometimes the boss will just turn around and blast you then back to the tank, but it isn't a skull, or a tell, or any special type move. Just a regular attack/lunge.
    • Like x 2