PCTest Update: PC Graphics

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Savior Prime, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

I actually don't see any difference. NPC characters still have low rez textures, and no changes to my own toon on test. I was hoping they devs finally turned on the High setting in the Video Character Texture setting...but no. The graphics look no different.
  2. Kuno Loyal Player

They said changes made to gear and NPC but it goes further than that. Textures, definition... the skin, faces, even make up and eyes aside of styles, it has better resolution on consoles.
    I dont dont why pc has a different patch and different code for the main game graphics.
  3. Knarlydude Loyal Player

It would be really hard for me to see any graphic upgrades on the test server. The test server graphics have always been worse than live when I have compared them.
    That being said.

PC graphics were trashed when DCUO merged PC & PS servers. The first day after the merge I was like WTHeck happened to the graphics. All of the graphics went to hellinahandbasket.
  4. Red Raptor Active Player

Didn't notice any change in graphics except to my toon's cape...

They tweaked the Armored Detective back style. I'm sure in response to complaints that the characters back was clipping through when running and such. Now the cape doesn't clip through but it sticks so far out from the character's body that it looks like there's a wind storm brewing under there. Was so HAPPY to get this style and now it's a joke. This is just like what happened to Gotham Knight style after an update. Everyone was complaining about the vector not meeting over the shoulders, so they tweaked the design to make it connect but screwed up the textures on the chest and the leg pieces so they didn't match anymore. It's like the developers are vindictive about negative feedback. "Okay, you don't like that? Well lets see how much you like THIS!"

Waited for a style like this since launch. I could have lived with the clipping as opposed to the cape falling 2 feet from the character's back. So disappointing... :'(
    • Like x 4
  5. Red Raptor Active Player

6. Red Raptor Active Player

7. Red Raptor Active Player

8. LavaSpitter_json Level 30

Please get a new crew of developers. Just please..
    • Like x 1
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  10. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Just some random things I was trying out:

Gadgeteer Chest still looks horrible:
    [IMG]

Watch as a I slowly zoom in during this video:

I don't get the "high-res" version of the fountain texture until about the 12 second mark and the only thing I'm doing is changing the camera zoom level.

I think some of the NPC textures look a little bit better. The only way to tell for sure would be to do a detailed Live versus Test comparison.
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The Gadgeteer chest looks hideous on live, too, yet somehow the PS4 version still manages to look better than your screenshot, which I'm assuming was taken on test and with everything set to the best possible settings.

Here's a quick comparison I've just captured on my PS4, in Metropolis, to show you. It's just a raw screenshot. I only used photoshop to crop it and then saved it as a PNG:
    [IMG]
  12. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Thanks for the comparison.

I have the following settings:
    Character Detail: High
    Texture Detail: Normal
    Shadow Detail: High
    World Detail: High
    Effects Quality: Maxed
    Effects Fade: Maxed

That's the maximum settings for everything on the PC client. So I don't know what's going on. I tried changing Texture Detail to "Low" and ended up with an even worse Gadgeteer chest. Changing it back to Normal gave me the screenshot above.

I was hoping there was going to be a "Texture Detail: High" option, but I don't see it.

What does Mera in the Deluge zone look like on PS4?
    • Like x 1
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Also, some may be wondering what exactly changed, and may be upset to learn that this might not be the graphics update they'd been hoping for.

This isn't an update that makes everything sharp, high-res, and amazing to look at. The engine can only render what texture files it is fed and in the case of a lot of old styles and NPCs, those textures simply aren't as good as the ones they've been producing recently. Remaking them from scratch is the only way to get a better quality quality textures on older models, and that amount of work is almost as much as what it takes to produce a new model, in many cases, so don't expect any major overhauls on the old stuff.

What this update mainly fixes is the issues with textures being lower quality/resolution on the PC, in comparison to other versions of the game, like the PS4 version. Here's an example:

[IMG]

The 2 images on the left were taken when I posted the original bug thread. I capture the screenshot using the PS4's in-house screenshot capture tools. Jafin captured the screenshot in the middle, on his PC client, with the settings maxed out to the best they can be.

The right screenshot was captured today on PC test. The quality of the textures on the jacket are on par with the PS4 version now. However, there seems to still be issues with the much older styles.

As you can see, on the screenshot on the left, my League of Assassins head style has much more detail on it, than on the screenshot in the middle. Even on PC test, after the update, the textures of this style haven't been updated.

I guess something must be up with the older styles, because the newer styles seem to have been updated. Here's another screenshot showing the updated Riddler style textures:

[IMG]

When you factor in Penryn's screenshot above and my PS4 comparison still showing that the PS4 version has more clarity, it might suggest that there's still an issue with older styles.
    • Like x 2
  14. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Here's a raw screenshot, captured using the PS4's share tools. It hasn't been processed in Photoshop or anything and was captured as PNG:

[IMG]
  15. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Thats prob why Mepps said the PC Graphics update was nearing completion and not completed. I think they still have a bunch of styles to get to. If you think about it....they have to update the textures of about 7 yrs worth of styles. It will take a bit more time im sure.
  16. Kuno Loyal Player

I doubt very much they are updating textures. Textures aren't going to be changed, they must be working just on the graphic settings. For a weird reason, graphics are still better on PS4 and that doesnt make any sense.
    Its like PC optimization is messed up.
  17. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Thanks. Mera looks about the same for me.

So it just looks like an issue with older styles. I'm hoping that is just a bug.

The Split Personality Chest looks terrible on PCTest:
    [IMG]

That is at max settings.
  18. L T Devoted Player

No the PS4 actually uses higher resolution textures. The download for PC test was 2GB this time-- which is quite a lot of data.
  19. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

[IMG]
  20. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Eww..both pics look terrible but the PC pic (the one on the left) looks extra cruddy :(. You can clearly see the belt, tie, and jacket itself have better texture on the PS4 side. Hopefully they can address these issues prior to pushing this GU to Live.