Materials as a color palette

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Hawk, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Hawk Active Player

Can we please have materials palettable? It would look so much better than having it over take the whole color scheme. Also will they ever be unlockable like styles?
    • Like x 8
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i agree. style possibilities would be mind blowing. although its been said it will never happen i like thinking it as a possibility someday.

pretty sure the time capsule materials will all make their way onto the last chance vendor.
    • Like x 1
  3. Triumph or Die Well-Known Player

This! A thousand times, this! It would look sooooo much better on my characters! Like my flash, for instance! I could have his "wings" be a different color than the rest of his cowl.
  4. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

They have stated that is beyond the tech capabilities. Each piece of gear with a material applied is a preset...now multiply that by 3 and thats crazy for all styles. The work would be crazy. Or thats how i seem to understand how mats work.
    • Like x 3
  5. Kuno Loyal Player

Please dont be naive... they can just milk us much more money if they have materials and auras color locked than giving us a fully tintable version of each material and auras.
    It doesnt make sense they did it like this in the first place, I dont buy the tech limitations excuses. It's obvious the intentions when they release stuff, they want you to pay for the different colors instead making them customizable.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Fake news.
    • Like x 1
  7. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i'm not a graphical design technician, but color and texture aren't that easy to dictate, like the poster above said, it's a technical and graphical issue, ever notice that even the "tintable" materials cover up the gear entirely? that's cause materials are not individual colors but presets which don't really change, even a single material being tintable at all was a very limited exception to this rule of coding.
    • Like x 1
  8. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

The devs said it was to a tech limitation that would be unecessarily too great to overcome with what is available and that it wouldnt be practical to implement. From what I think (not an official dev statment in any way) using a material is basically collecting a list of all the material style "variants" of ALL the present gear in the game that had to each be prepare before hand. Like those chrome and cosmic suits they have in the marketplace but on a much larger scale. So imagine how many possible variant they would need for each set if all gear pieces could habe 3 individual slots to use materials in. The number to imagine all possible material combinations to be used would be crazy. It would be more than 3x the work if what i believe is correct.
    • Like x 3
  9. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

On a personal note I would love this as it would allow for greater customization and individuality
  10. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

On a realistic note I dont see it happening as it would be considered too much work for too little profit.
    • Like x 1
  11. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Would I love the idea? Hell yeah! The possibilities become endless with that capability.

Do I think it will happen any time soon? Nope... not holding my breath. It doesn’t matter what the source of the limitation is... and I believe it’s a combination of Unreal 3 and the PS3 code/design that can’t be surpassed without a full rewrite from the ground up.

Still.. these new materials are beautiful. Kudos to the designers and team for creating them!
  12. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Yeah in an office hour discussion (I had actually brought up the question) Mepps had mentioned the game system wasnt meant to support things such a materials but they found a few creative ways to make it work but with still quite a few limitations.
    • Like x 2
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I really wish it was possible as it would add so much to the materials system. Unfortunately, with the way the game has been set up, it doesn't look like it'll be happening any time soon, if at all.
    • Like x 4
  14. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Changing Color ≠ Adding Animation

Which is exactly what Materials are. They are animated files. Therefore they would have to be on a new mask. (Sort of like a layer but akin to the green screen used in movies.)

If a piece of gear has four parts to it, then that's four masks which would need to be added. And this would mean four separate animations running at once. On top of the actual gear layer.

So now instead of having one layer you're dealing with 4.

8 people in a raid x 4 layers = 32 animations running just for character styles.

Oh, and for PvP this could mean 64. *choke*
    • Like x 2
  15. kingmasternova Loyal Player

16. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Exactly what I was trying to explain. Sounds about right. Thats why it is very unlikely anything proposed in this thread will ever happen but its good to dream, but not feasible technically.
  17. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

one alternative i was thinking of would be coming up with a few new style sets that allow us to apply our materials to certain parts while the rest pf the style remains a solid color we can change. Something similar to some of the amazonian styles and the one we got from the sub avatars.
  18. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Materials would be ALOT more appealing if you could put them in individual color slots, unfortunately as stated already it's a tech hurdle.

I don't know all the techy ins and outs to it, but I'm not seeing how it's too much of a hurdle, if you can apply materials to the whole style, what's stopping it from being applied to individual sections? Whatever though, I'm learning everyday to stop asking questions.
  19. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

I dont know what to say to make it easier to understand but the end result would most likely be labor intensive and probably would bug/lag out with all the animations going all at once with players being together. Materials are preset style meshed variants that are summoned via the materials tab...so its not like we just fit a material over gear at a whim, ever it seems like we do. The UI is very good at formatting the process. So if we wanted to do what this thread asks ever possible material combination would have to be made ahead of time which isnt gonna happen. Its like the flash trying every possible comination to a security key pad to enter a restricted access area. Lol
  20. Kuno Loyal Player

All I know is that I've played different older, not franchise superhero MMO and in them you can tint powersets and auras, materials, and have gazillion better customization options than DCUO. Why?
    Everything here is a tech limitation issue, when they have bigger resources and engines than the other games I mention...
    Why is been everything designed that way? Why the devs havent tried new easier ways to give us styles, skins, hairstyles and customization?
    I honestly dont know what is happening in this game, it seems impossible to get things so simple like new HD skins, more customization options or newer styles with the 4th palette color in mind.
    Yes we been getting gorgeous materials but is the overall stagnant feel that bugs me.