Headphone issue

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Gemivere, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Gemivere New Player

okay so I recently came back to DCUO and I remember this being an issue before but I use to have better headphones and now it's a bigger issue. If I start the game, and then plug in my headphones, the sound will continue to come out of my speakers, and the only way I know to change that is to restart the game.

Now the reason this is as bad an issue as it is is because the headphones I am using have a problem where they get really staticy and I have to unplug them and then plug them back in to fix the issue. I did this yesterday and I had no sound at all, and ad to restart the game again. is this a known issue? is there a work around?
  2. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

For me I have to have my headset plugged in before I launch the game, if I don't I get no sound in my headset, did you try that? Plugging the headset in before you launch the game?
  3. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

Don't look for the Devs to fix this issue anytime soon when they have more pressing matters. Gem, it sounds like you may just need to get better headphones, because part of the issue lies with them. They usually are pretty cheap, and depending on where you are, and your set up (whether you play on console or PC) you should be able to find a pretty decent pair somewhere.

Jade, I go through the same thing that you do. I'm a PC player, and I used a pair of bluetooth headphones. I find that I have to have these paired and turned on before I even bring up the launcher, or else the sound will just go through the speakers. If I disconnect them once, that's it. I'd have to completely shut down the game and restart to be able to use them. It can be frustrating at times, but its the way it is. Like I said, I don't think this is an important issue to the team to get fixed. We' have about as much of a chance at getting them to fix PVP than to fix this.
  4. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

Yea I don't really have an issue with it cuz I leave mine plug in 24/7, occasionally my chair will get caught on the headset wire and pull it out of the Usb slot and I get annoyed of not hearing team mates, I think I was able to get vc sound back after disabling vc and turning it back on then do the mic tests
  5. Kestral Committed Player

Ditto to everything people have said above. It's the same if chat glitches as a PC player. For my PS4 groupmates when they suddenly can't hear anyone and their mic isn't working they can just change chat tabs and it will refresh and correct itself. For me i'm actually locked in the chat tab i'm on and it will not let me switch manually (thus why we assume it is a game issue not a hardware issue) only restarting the game fixes this and just hope it doesn't happen during a raid you need to hear call signs.:(

All that being said this is an issue the game has always had for me and I just make sure my group knows in text what has happened and fix when necessary. We are on game every day for around two hours. All of that in chat together and we generally see this happen to someone in group about twice a month or so unless the game is really acting up and it's catching multiple of us several times that night (two or three days of hell with that one this year).

While I don't think this is a major issue that needs to be looked into right now as it has been going on for years. I would put it in the category of general quality fixes that should be attempted at least to see if there is a simple fix. It would be nice to have the ability to go to a setting and manually reset the sound connection in game as PS4 players can by changing chat channels.
    • Like x 1
  6. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

You talking about like when the chat doesn't load manually right? Like the chats don't show how many in chat? If so this happens to me all the time and if I turn off vc, exit settings, then return to settings to turn vc back on. 9/10 times it fixes it, makes it decently less of a pain logging out and in to fix it, only takes 30 secs. Not sure if it helps PS, something someone to try? Works on PC
  7. Gemivere New Player

okay well at least it's a known issue. I was hoping there would be a work around but I guess I just have to play without headphones. or maybe just play planetside. idk.
  8. Kestral Committed Player

I'll try that next time see if it helps at all. Not sure if we're talking about the same issue but couldn't hurt to try.
    • Like x 1
  9. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

its a "focusing" issue since DCUO's kind of old. DCUO's audio doesn't switch on the fly whenever you switch plug ins. You'd have to restart the game if you're switching from mobo 3.5 i/o > bluetooth/usb vice versa. The only switching that works is if you have speaker on the back i/o and front panel audio ports.

*and adding: with a windowed full-screen mode, this wouldn't have any issue.
  10. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

When I first started DCUO (on PC) I noticed sometimes the game sound would just cut out. I found that instead of restarting the game I could go to Control Panel and change the default sound to my USB headset and then back again, and that would 'reset' it I guess.

I usually leave my USB headset plugged in 24/7. It has a button on the wire I can use to toggle the mic on and off, which is nice.

On Everquest II, I found the game looks at what Windows has set as the default speakers / mic, and uses that. So even if I set voice chat to my USB headset and saved it, it doesn't matter. When I restart the game, I always have to go into the Voice options and change it if I want to use voice chat.
  11. Gemivere New Player

I'll give that a shot
  12. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

It is a problem with Windows.
    Years ago I discovered software conflicts of DCUO and PlanetSide 2 with Skype and TeamSpeak in Windows 7.

Therefore suggest you shut down Skype, TeamSpeak, Discord and any similar programs or deactivate all unused audio devices in your Windows audio settings.