Character Limits

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Hraesvelg, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Hraesvelg Always Right

Maybe I missed the notes, but when did we get a 140 character limit in tells? Is this supposed to combat the spammers? Why are the subscribers getting smacked with it, too?
  2. Nichalus Active Player

that is a 'very' good question. I don't like it at all
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

How did you figure that out?
  4. Hraesvelg Always Right

I typed a message to someone and it was truncated. So we tested it out and counted how many characters it was.
  5. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

I’ve never heard of spammers spamming tells.... lol idk why DC could possibly even do that.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Was there always a limit?
  7. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

One called one of my bank alts ugly a few days ago, had a name like a spammer, was a short message thou :confused:
    • Like x 1
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

It just popped up, most likely within the GU.

Yesterday I noticed that the spam bot's messages had gotten really short and wondered if something had been changed. Then a message of mine got cutoff which had me think, "oh so that's what they did".

The bot's spam looks like gibberish now, so this might have an effect for a short time.
  9. Brav Well-Known Player

Hello Developers,

I've also noticed text getting cut off in group chat and tells (possibly other chat channels as well), if this was intentional please revert the change as it is definitely an inconvenience to the players, especially subscribed members.

If this wasn't intentional please look into it and correct it when possible. Thank you.

Sincerely: Brav
    • Like x 1
  10. Nichalus Active Player

If it's to combat the Credit Spammers, I'm all for it...but...it makes it very difficult for experienced players to explain the mechanics of harder missions, or having conversations with other members and even those of us that like to RP. Since the spammers use the SHOUT perhaps it should be limited to that function in chat, just a thought. OR...shocker...you could have in game Mods delete/suspend those accounts as they shout out. Might be rough at the start, but the spammers would eventually get the message and stop.
  11. Hraesvelg Always Right

No, this is new. I've been here since the start and this is the first tell I've ever had truncated.

I don't know if it's an error, but I was the one that raised the idea it might be for spammers. No one from the staff has said it, but it seems like we're running with that idea pretty hard. It was just a suggestion as to the reason. I can't imagine it would be effective, since all they would have to do is shorten their messages. The bot programmers are pretty quick about things like that.

I'm hoping it's just a bug.
    • Like x 1
  12. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

Welp time to having to explain the mechanics on my mic now :p

Side note if this was intended, wonder why legendary(possibly premium too?) affected, seems odd
  13. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

If this change affects members, there’s a 1000% chance it affects premiums, and free to plays might have an even worse limit.
    • Like x 1
  14. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I was typing in chat all day and didn't really notice a limit
  15. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

It’s just in tells I think. It will still let you type out to the ps4 limit, but then only half of your message goes thru.
  16. Hraesvelg Always Right

I'm PC, so it's platform agnostic.
  17. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

Huh? I didn’t say it wasn’t. I believe fatal is pc also.
  18. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

Here's a solution. Meet up with your friends on here, on Facebook. Even if you have to create a dummy account to hide your real one just to do so or whatever. Then you can create a DCUO League or Friends group over there where you can chat or RP without the chat restrictions that you get in game, or be hassled by the spam bots. Just a thought.
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well there is Discord and other hosting sites. Or you could just mic up. I wonder if the character limit was recently adjusted to soften the recent lag issues.
    • Like x 1
  20. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'm PS, and I use a keyboard, not the PS virtual crap lol